Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortleib - Rollers or not?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-28-07, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've about settled on Ortleib as my next panniers, due to their waterproofness. I'd prefer not to have to dig for the raincovers when rain threatens.

Which style do people recommend, the rollers or the others? (I've settled on the Classics, with the cloth like my canoeing drysacks.)
Old 05-28-07, 10:49 PM
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both the rollers and the bikepacker plus, and I greatly prefer the latter. The roller is basically like a paper grocery bag in shape when unrolled, with a strap that curls around it after you roll it down that clips to the front. The rollers are more of a rigamarole to get in and out of, and I'm all for easy access. The rollers are good for defending partial submersion, but if you're just riding through the rain instead of through streams and such, the quick-lock clips (like how you fasten a helmet strap - dunno the technical term) and drawstring idea (at least on the bikepackers) is much more user friendly. The QL2 attachment is a better one too, but YMMV.

Whichever you choose, they're pretty great, but run a search in this forum for people's many complaints about them before buying. Like anything, they've got their detractors - usually those who don't like the effects of actually putting wet stuff in them.
Old 05-29-07, 02:45 PM
Prairie Path Commuter

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the rollers for commuting and IMO I really don't think there is much difference. The rollers are good for me because I bike/train commute and take the bags off of the bike and put them on my shoulders when I get on and off of the train. I don't think the bikepackers come with straps.
Old 05-29-07, 02:58 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Alekhine
I have both the rollers and the bikepacker plus, and I greatly prefer the latter. The roller is basically like a paper grocery bag in shape when unrolled, with a strap that curls around it after you roll it down that clips to the front. The rollers are more of a rigamarole to get in and out of, and I'm all for easy access. The rollers are good for defending partial submersion, but if you're just riding through the rain instead of through streams and such, the quick-lock clips (like how you fasten a helmet strap - dunno the technical term) and drawstring idea (at least on the bikepackers) is much more user friendly. The QL2 attachment is a better one too, but YMMV.

I like the Rollers for their simplicity. I've had bags with pockets and zipper and pouches and never really used them or used them too much (carrying stuff I didn't really need ). Since I organize all my stuff in ziplock bags, they are easy to use and I naver found that getting into them was much of a problem. I don't carry a lot of stuff in the bags that I need access to during the day anyway, so they work just fine for me.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-29-07, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I have a set of roller classics for the rear and roller plus for the front.

Although the roller plus has the QL2 attachment system, I prefer the classics because their PVC fabric doesn't absorb water at all. The roller plus fabric, while waterproof, still absorbs water on the outer layer. After a heavy downpour on a recent tour, I had to hang dry my roller plus panniers because the fabric was literally dripping wet. Water just rolls right off of the classics.

Also, the inner "skin" of my roller plus panniers is starting to wear near the top where the crease forms when you roll them up. I'm afraid they won't be waterproof for much longer.

IMO stick with the "classic" PVC material. It's tougher and cheaper.
Old 05-29-07, 05:34 PM
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I like the Rollers for their simplicity. I've had bags with pockets and zipper and pouches and never really used them or used them too much (carrying stuff I didn't really need ). Since I organize all my stuff in ziplock bags, they are easy to use and I naver found that getting into them was much of a problem. I don't carry a lot of stuff in the bags that I need access to during the day anyway, so they work just fine for me.
10-4, but we're way different.

I have use for pouches. I loves me some pouches. Every pocket helps, IMO. And I carry lots of stuff I don't need as well. I like to camp in style, and I prefer the "take lots" option generally to the more ascetic "less is more" philosophy of some of the serious lightweight backpackers. Books, food, drink, entertainment - I take it all. The Bike Packers are also better for grocery shopping, in my experience.

As for getting into them not being much of a problem, well yea - the rollers aren't a Japanese puzzle box or anything. It's still easier and much quicker to just unclip the two clips on the Bike packers and re-clip them when you're done. Very unlike you, I frequently get into my bags for this or that on a tour, on or off the bike. Admittedly, most of my important "on the road" items can be obtained from my handlebar bag though.