Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Hub Bolt Size - 1970's Schwinn Suburban

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 03:39 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. I'm just looking to verify before I run out to buy a wrench at Harbor Freight. Can anyone tell me what size the bolts holding my front hub on are? I just got a flat and need to take my wheel off.

I'm a mechanic and I left my tools at my shop today (so that I could start riding my bike in). I have no problem running out to get a cheap wrench. I'm thinking since its a 70's Schwinn we are probably talking SAE sizing and not metric... It looks and feels to me to be a 1/2" or maybe 9/16", or maybe even 7/16". I really don't know for sure and I keep second guessing my self. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but if one of you knows off-hand that would be great.

PS: I hate adjustable wrenches with a passion so please don't go there. Something about working on 60 year old Jeeps that have been sitting in some farmer's field. Rounding off "F" script bolts on a Ford GP because I'm using an adjustable wrench is not an option.
Old 06-03-07, 03:44 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The most common size for nutted hubs was 15 mm. If your Schwinn s SAE and 9/16", a 14 mm is a close match.

You say you're a mechanic. Don't you have even a set of wrenches around? Why would you even consider the quality of tools Harbor Freight sells?
Old 06-03-07, 05:39 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The most common size for nutted hubs was 15 mm. If your Schwinn s SAE and 9/16", a 14 mm is a close match.

You say you're a mechanic. Don't you have even a set of wrenches around? Why would you even consider the quality of tools Harbor Freight sells?

Thanks, I ended up just measuring it. I just moved and wasn't able to find a ruler or anything when I made the post.

I'm actually only a mechanic temporarily, but I have enjoyed working on cars for business and pleasure for nearly all 21 years of my life. I'm actually in school to be a teacher, should be starting next fall.

I'm sure I have wrenches SOMEWHERE here, but I doubt it.

I have a rolling multi-drawer toolbox with a large set of Snap-On tools and air tools that I leave at the shop in the garage. I also have a smaller box with a secondary set of Snap-On wrenches and sockets in commonly used sizes, along with a few other things (mallet, etc etc). It can be carried by hand and I use it for going around the property where vehicles are parked all over (we generally only have 1 or 2 vehicles that we are restoring in the garage. The others are either for parts or future restoring, etc - its nice to have a toolbox that can easily be carried to them. I had been keeping that toolbox in my truck, but I decided to leave it at the shop as well.

There's nothing wrong with Harbor Freight tools, many are cheap as **** and break easily if you're using them everyday. However, if I'm going to buy a wrench to throw in my bag to take a nut off when/if I get a flat (this was the first on this bike in 1.5+ years)... I'd rather buy a $0.99 wrench than a $14 one. The beauty of Snap-On/Mac/Similar tools is that if I have to get at a tough area and its getting desperate I can throw a torch at a wrench, bend it to my needs, use and get it replaced within an hour or two for free.

Thanks for your concern about my choice of tools, though.
Old 06-03-07, 07:17 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by jbhowat
Thanks for your concern about my choice of tools, though.
Always glad to lend helpful advice.

Actually, you explained your situation pretty well so I realize why you, as a mechanic, didn't have access to any wrenches.

BTW, will Snap-On/Proto/Mac, etc. really warranty tools that have been obviously abused like being bent with a torch? I know Sears will warranty Craftsman tools no matter how obvious the abuse but i didn't think the others would.
Old 06-04-07, 07:09 AM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah they will. Or at least my Snap-On guy does. Obviously I don't do it all the time and I don't blatantly tell him I bent it with a torch, but he knows.

"What happened"
"It bent"
"Ok, here's a replacement"