Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

More Campy Confusion - QS and Escape

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 06:42 PM
Ho-Jahm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few more quick campy questions.

From what I understand, pre 2007 campy FD shifters were ratcheted, not stepped like shimano.

My veloce 2007 FD and Shifter are both "QS" models. I don't know if they have the "Escape" feature, what that is or what QS/quick shift does.

Can anyone enlighten me?

The bikes not built yet, but I can click my FD shifter lever arm (one under the brake lever) 6 times, but then the thumb shifter clicks only twice.

What does that mean?
Old 06-03-07, 06:58 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Yes your 2007 Veloce utilizes the QS system. Means that there is a shorter throw to shift to the big chain ring on front. There are still multiple notch trim positions on the way up, but going down to the lower chain ring there is only one middle trim position. (Takes two hits of the thumb trigger to drop to the small ring)

The ESCAPE mech means that you can only downshift 1 cog at a time. You can still go up 3 at a time, but only down one at a time. I have this on my Centaur equipped Flyte and don't really mind not being able to go down more than once. The action is so quick I just tap it a couple times and find the gear I need. I am working on building a Chorus equipped bike and will reserve final judgement till then.
Old 06-03-07, 07:09 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Yes your 2007 Veloce utilizes the QS system. Means that there is a shorter throw to shift to the big chain ring on front. There are still multiple notch trim positions on the way up, but going down to the lower chain ring there is only one middle trim position. (Takes two hits of the thumb trigger to drop to the small ring)
I installed a set of 2007 Centaur QS brifters on a bike with a triple crank and it only required (and allowed) one tap of the mouse ear to go from the big to the middle ring and provided no trimming of the big ring position at all. It only provided two trim positions for the middle ring and, for my set-up, one was too far in and one was too far out.

I exchanged them for '06 Record brifters to get the same "micro adjusting" shifting I have on my '06 Chorus.

Campy's web site is not too helpful about the '07 Chorus and Record front shifters but I think they allow "micro-adjust" shifting in front like the old ones did. Let me know how yours work out.
Old 06-03-07, 08:02 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Interesting info HillRider. As far as I know the front shifter is unchanged for 07 other than the different pull ratio for the QS front derailleur.
Old 06-03-07, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
07 centaur and below are indexed. 07 chorus and record are the same as they were except with the ratio change for QS
Old 06-04-07, 02:23 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
07 centaur and below are indexed. 07 chorus and record are the same as they were except with the ratio change for QS
Can you put in the Record Ergo gear in a Centaur brifter to make it like last years only with the proper ratio? Used to be the internals on all Campy brifters down to Mirage were basically interchangable. The only real difference were bearings vs bushings.

Tim
Old 06-04-07, 06:37 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Can you put in the Record Ergo gear in a Centaur brifter to make it like last years only with the proper ratio? Used to be the internals on all Campy brifters down to Mirage were basically interchangable. The only real difference were bearings vs bushings.

Tim
I think so. I recall reading recently that some of Campy's sponsored Pro Tour riders had '07 Centaur internals installed in their earlier Record brifters because they wanted the "Escape" (one at a time upshifts) rear shifting. That implies to me that the internals are interchangable.

Now, what it will cost is a different matter.
Old 06-04-07, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I think so. I recall reading recently that some of Campy's sponsored Pro Tour riders had '07 Centaur internals installed in their earlier Record brifters because they wanted the "Escape" (one at a time upshifts) rear shifting. That implies to me that the internals are interchangable.
"Escape", cuda2k said one at a time downshifts, you're saying one at a time upshifts, which is it?
I can see no advantage to one at a time downshifts.