Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back in the saddle (Recovery ride)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-04-07, 12:12 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a triple whammy this month that has had me feeling ancient. First, our baby graduated from college in Boston, our oldest son and his wife (outside Seattle) presented us with our first grandchild and while traveling from Dallas to Boston to Seattle and back I contracted pneumonia for the first time in my life. I take the graduation and grandson with great spirits, both are obviously in a Milestone category that celebrate life, but the pneumonia really wasted me and had me assessing my mortality (see the other thread regards youth and aging). I am cleared to go back to work tomorrow so I thought I was ready to get in a good ride and clear the lungs out. I have a 15 mile circuit with a good mix of hills and flats and traffic light mandated stops that starts at my front door, so off I went. I took it easy and made it back in 68 minutes. Depending on which bike I'm riding (I'm into vintage steel so most people think my fleet is on the heavy side) and what the wind conditions are, I usually do it in 55 or 60 minutes so I don't think I lost too many steps. It was definitely a bummer getting the pneumonia, but I wonder what shape I would be in had I not been riding regularly before contracting it. I was distressed to discover that eating healthily with vigorous regular exercise does not bullet proof you from ill health, but I do think it helps with recovery. It was great to be riding again.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 06-04-07, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ticwanos
I was distressed to discover that eating healthily with vigorous regular exercise does not bullet proof you from ill health, but I do think it helps with recovery. It was great to be riding again.
On of the great injustices poisted upon us the last few decades is the notion that people who are sick, must not have been doing something right... wrong diet, not enough exercise, etc. Health seeking behaviors are a good thing, but disease is disease. A virus doesn't care if you've eaten five fruits and vegetables today. Bacteria don't keep away because your recovery heart rate is good. The downside of this slightly inaccurate thinking is that we blame ourselves when we get sick. While I recognize that our behaviors can contribute to ill health, I am tired of people being made to feel guilty when they are ill.

Glad to hear you are riding again and on the mend. Congrats on the family milestones.