Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Damage from Missing a BB (sealed) Cup

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-05-07, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend of mine bought a fixed gear bike a couple of months ago and lately he has been hearing a dreaded creaking noise. He took it to a the LBS who removed, greased, and re installed the cranks. The sound persisted so they told him it was his bottom bracket.

He brought the bike to me today and we were going to install an extra bottom bracket I had around which I know does not make a noise. I started to remove the cranks and the where on SOLID! It seemed like the guys at the LBS over torqued them hardcore!

It took a lot to remove the bottom bracket (sealed cartridge) as well but it finally came out. We tried for an hour to install the new bottom bracket but it would not thread properly. It would either go on half way and then be super hard to move or it would go on and the spindle on the non drive side would not be centered. I even showed him on a spare frame I had how easy they screw in and out (both were english threading).

He then told me when he bought the bike the LBS forgot to install the non drive side cup of the cartridge BB. He rode the bike around for about 2 weeks until he noticed the missing cup. Could this have striped the BB shells threads or damaged his existing bb? We wound up reinstalling the original one (which took some time too) and left it at that. The creaking obviously was still there.

Any thoughts on the damage a missing sealed cartridge BB cup might cause? Thanks!
Old 06-05-07, 07:49 PM
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have the LBS chase the threads.
Old 06-05-07, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0502
Have the LBS chase the threads.
That was going to be our first step tomorrow.