Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Il Rinascimento del Torpado "Europa"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I scored this incredible (to me) bike to fix up for my wife. It's a Torpado Europa, pink, step-through lugged frame, pump bosses behind the seat tube, full gearcase but with a Gian Robert Campione rear derailleur (the bottom of the gearcase is open and it's open at the back). I love the 16-18-20 three-cog freewheel, which is marked with the words "brevettata" and -- this is really what it seems to say -- "ocean." I thought "brevettata" had something to do with cycling, but in fact it means "patented," as in, "having been the subject of a lawyer's brief" or briefed)--so I guess the "Ocean" freewheel is patented.

Cottered cranks with chrome in pretty good condition.

The fork has a dynamo/headlight bracket.

The frame has holes (all, I hope, original to its design) for the internal routing of the brake cable, derailleur cable, and the wire running from the dynamo all the way back to the light on the rear fender.

The hubs are fine, though a little rusty, and the rims are solid rust.

The original bars are N Road style, and the stem and bars are permanently married. They have an interesting feature: the base of the brake lever, which usually clamps onto the bars, is brazed on. No muss, no fuss, no adjustment. Unfortunately, the whole thing is cloaked in deep rust.

I decided to refurbish the bike with improved paint (it seems to want to stay pink) and components, including a set of new-production Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs (the freewheel kind in the back and the dynamo kind in the front). I found the rear on ebay today and ordered up. Later I will build (gulp) the wheels or have them built.

I'm also thinking dimension double-bend (moustache) bars and a tall nitto technomic stem. The bike came with a not-so-nice mattress saddle. I'd like to put a brooks lady on it, buy I don't think my lady wants to ride on a saddle that might discolor her garments. OK, that's the first time in 18 years I've ever called her "my lady." Anyway, I think I want black accents, and I'm already planning to spend more than many new bikes she has actually said she liked. So probably something in a black vinyl.

See, it's a surprise.

Pictures, of course, when I get it put together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo 44.jpg (97.4 KB, 41 views)
Photo 46.jpg (70.0 KB, 25 views)
Photo 47.jpg (85.1 KB, 32 views)
Photo 50.jpg (70.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-09-07, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pretty cool find
Old 06-09-07, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
It appears to be left side drive. That will make things a bit more difficult.

By lady rides a B18 and reports no discoloration of her garments. It sure is comfortable!
Old 06-09-07, 10:21 PM

Oops. Somehow the camera did mirror image. No, it's normal in that respect.

Oh, hey, I forgot to mention that it came with a rear rack and fenders, and of course the rear fender is drilled to lace up a skirt/coat guard. Will the features of this bike never end?
Old 06-09-07, 10:30 PM

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Grand Prix, '85 Trek 510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you lady wants more than three gears, feel free to send that freewheel to me.
Old 06-10-07, 02:51 PM

I think it's a very cool project! I'd go with an internally geared hub like a Shimano Nexus, but that's up to you.
Old 06-10-07, 06:03 PM

I am all over the internally geared hub, and that's what I thought I would end up with for her. All my dream bikes have internally geared hubs, like my fantasy black Rans Stratus XP with the 8 or 9-speed I. G. hub and a Schlumpf Mountain Drive BB ... I don't even dare to dream about a Rohlhoff. Anyway, where was I? Oh...

However, what I find even less often than a bike with a full chain case is a bike with a full chain case that was designed for a rear derailleur. So, I'm keeping the freewheel as it's integral to the design of the bike. If she doesn't like it, I can always sell the wheelset I built for it and sell the bike. But I would be sad about that.
Old 06-10-07, 09:00 PM

I still think that a B18 would be perfect for it. My wife loves hers.

Old 06-10-07, 09:50 PM

Thanks, DD. I'm thinking about it!

I can report that I have just purchased the rear drum hub, front drum dynamo hub, tall nitto technomic stem, and moustache bars.

I'll be in a bit of a bind if I don't turn over the goods before she pays the American Express bill!

And I still haven't worked out the wheel-building bit yet! Yikes! Or tires! She specifically said once how she wanted whitewalls! Ai-yai-yai.

And it's going to need lots of baskets, including one that can carry the dog and two bottles of wine for going to dinner parties. Hmm.
Old 06-29-07, 10:49 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
I still think that a B18 would be perfect for it. My wife loves hers.

Pic looks like a B72 to me
Attached Images
B72Laprade.jpg (99.3 KB, 4 views)