Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Just getting started!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Just getting started!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just getting started!

Hello to all. My name is Debi and I want to start riding. I have been thinking about buying a bike for awhile. We just returned from Mackinac Island and rented bikes. It was a great time (about 10 miles!) and so beautiful riding around the island. Not bad since I haven't been on a bike for about 12 yrs & I really found out how out of shape we all were! I am looking to you for guidance. We mostly will be riding around town and thru parks. We will certainly return to MI, an have friends in Michigan who also want to get into biking, so we will do a few trails there as well. We won't be doing anything "extreme"! What would you recommend for a good quality, bike for everyday riding? I looked at Trek and Schwinn on line, and I also looked at the Landrider auto shift bike. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Debi
Old 06-10-07, 07:58 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Welcome Debi. Sounds like a hybrid or fitness bike is just what you need. As a new rider, I would recomend that you visit some bike shops in your area. They will be able to listen to your needs and riding plans and match you to bike. Most importantly, a good shop will be able to fit you to to your bike. Fitting is the process of watching you you pedal on a stationary bike and adjusting the seat and handlebars to fit your physique.
Old 06-11-07, 06:24 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Debi, Jeff has given you some excellent suggestions to get you started. If you are riding for more than ten miles, you will want to get a bike fitted to you properly, or your experience may turn painful at worst, not nearly as much fun at best. We want you to have fun!

Where are you located? Knowing where you are can help us get you in touch with the locals who know where the good bike shops are located.

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 06-11-07, 06:37 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Buy the bike at your Local Bike Store (abbreviated LBS around here). Like jsharr said, fitting is important. I haven't seen any good reviews of the Landrider autoshift bikes. Manual shifting is easy on bikes these days. Try bikes at more than one store if possible, with a longer test ride than just around the parking lot, once you narrow down your choices.
Old 06-11-07, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. There are a couple of shops close by and that will be my weekend excursion. I live in Huron, Ohio which is right on Lake Erie. we are half way between Cleveland and Toledo. If you have heard of Cedar Point Amusement park (who hasn't...roller coaster capital of the world!), I am right there!!!! There are alot of state parks within a 2 hr drive, and they are beautiful. I hope to start riding thru the parks and along the lake.

One suggestion that a local dealer made (over the phone) was a Trek Navigator or Pure model. Any thoughts?
Old 06-11-07, 06:47 PM

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am from MI myself and have been to Mackinac Island twice. It's always fun up there. I remember my most recent visit with my parents more vividly than the first, and remember going rather fast on the bicycle. About the only unpleasant memory was that my hands had some moderate blisters from playing around with the gears too much. I want to buy a new bike myself as well.
Old 06-13-07, 04:47 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep in mind that the bikes they rent on the island are complete and utter trash. Judging your abilities on a rental there is like judging a Chevy Cobalt in LeMans. Just isn't fair.
Old 06-13-07, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy a bike from the most helpful shop - whatever brand they sell. The Trek Navigator is a decent bike, and Giant or Specialized have similar models. You may need to get a different saddle for best fit to your butt, so ask about swapping when you are buying the bike, as you may have to try several before you find the right one.