Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Sockless....Athlete's Foot!

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have converted over to the sockless world of cycling and after a few rides I have my first ever bout with Athlete's foot. It started between my toes, but the other night the side of my foot starting to itch and I had a small blister in that area too. Not sure what this all is, but it must be related to going sockless. I got some Lamasil AT and have been applying that, and I got some foot powder to sprinkle on my feet next time. Is this common and what else can I do to prevent this?
Old 06-13-07, 12:41 AM
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Dust the insides of your shoes liberally before putting them away (rubbing the powder into the inside lining), and again before putting them on. Will help keep your feet dry, too.
Old 06-13-07, 06:17 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to clean your feet well before and after. Make sure you dry them each time also. Then put powder in your shoes to dry them out and keep it that way.
Old 06-13-07, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
@Duffymt Have you also been going to the pool etc?

I've been now riding sockless for about 5 years after buying a pair of shoes that were just too small and have never gone back to bigger shoes. I've had Athletes foot on and off over those years but thing it's more to do with swim training plus more training meaning more showers etc...

I haven't been swimming for a bit now focussing on Duathlons and haven't had tinea for ages!
Old 06-14-07, 08:00 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick Google search for information that I could never type out and explain as easily.

Why Is It Called Athlete's Foot?
Athlete's foot gets its name because athletes often get it. Why? The fungus that causes it can be found where athletes often are. The fungus grows on the warm, damp surfaces around pools, public showers, and locker rooms. People walk barefoot on these surfaces and fungus ends up on their feet. Or they might use a damp towel that has the athlete's foot fungus on it.

But just having the fungus on your feet isn't enough to cause the infection. The infection happens if conditions are right for the fungus to grow. The fungus likes it wet, so:

Dry your feet properly after swimming, showering, or bathing.
Do not wear tight shoes when your feet are sweaty.
Do not wear the same pair of shoes or socks day after day.
Old 07-04-07, 01:47 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And soak your shoes in a bucket of Milton or the blasted things will keep re-infecting you.