Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Monsoon Comfort Electric - Just Got It

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New Monsoon Comfort Electric - Just Got It

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Comort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Mongoose Comfort Electric - Just Got It

Just got my new Mongoose Comfort Electric CB24V450 from Wal-Mart via Internet order. Box looked OK, but bike had a couple of issues: Front wheel is warped; minor scratches on decals; AND would not run. Found the front brake interlock cable pulled out of handle breaking the solder connections. I took the handle apart, removed the tiny push button switch, re-soldered the two leads and re-glued into position. (This is a design defect). Use several wire ties to hold cable in place. I figured it would be best to fix it rather than hassle with Wal-Mart or wait for a part. Battery is still charging so I am waiting for a test ride. Just wondering why this is call a "comfort" bike, sure not because of the seat.

My wife plans to use it to commute to work about 3 miles away. She has to make this trip twice each weekday and hoping it can be done on one charge. What do you guys think, can she do it?

Just wondering about what kind of lights and speedometer/trip computer to use. Tom

Last edited by Duffy2; 07-04-07 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 06-16-07, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Comfort refers to the geometry of the bicycle.

For the computer, I personally like my Schwinn 12-function. Under $10 at Wal-Mart. I don't see why it wouldn't work on an e-bike.
Old 06-16-07, 02:16 PM
ǝıd ǝʌol ʎllɐǝɹ I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, it'll do 3 miles no problem. Even should the electric part of the bike fail, you should be able to pedal that distance no problem. Make a point to always pedal with the bike and you'll get in shape, use less and less time commuting and get much longer range, etc.

This bike run on lead-acid batteries. Beware that this chemistry does not like having less then a full charge. Letting them sit with a partial charge for several hours each day will deplete their useful life a lot faster. They also don't like to be deeply discharged, so for the same energy used several shallow cycles are better then one deep cycle. In other words, recharging at work would be a very good thing, also make a point to let the charger connected for a few hours after the light turns green or such, this allows equalizing the battery. Some cells are weaker then others, so some will end up overcharged and other undercharged if you disconnect the charger after it goes green, but after a few hours it equalizes and gives a chance to the weaker cells to catch up. Here again, this means longer battery life.

Lights, there's a forum dedicated to them: https://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/
They're a lot more significant then things like a helmet, at least between sunrise and sunset.

Don't need a computer to commute, if you really want one beware that cheapies can really suck. EG: Raleigh. Best to look for a maker that makes high end models and get one of their low-end ones.
Old 06-16-07, 05:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:

Just talked with Wal-Mart and they will order a new front wheel with tire to replace the bent one. I have read other posts about warped wheels so I'm not alone.

JeanCoutu, thanks for the tips on charging the battery very worthwhile. I will check out the other issues you mentioned. And bhtooefr I will check out Wallyworld on the computer.

Last edited by Duffy2; 06-17-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D2 - congratulations on the Mongoose. That sounds like an ideal commute for this bike. You might look at my posts regarding the performance I have seen with this model over the last six months.
Old 07-02-07, 08:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one Mongoose electric bike (the blue one) last year. Still working well. They are now in Canada (Canadian Tire) under an other name Schwinn (in grey, same mecanic) but they are to expensive (500$Can instead of 275$US at wallmart)... I had bough one for my wife. Maybe I should have wait for the wallmart's one to be delivered in a store (they offer that now) and take at the beginning of vacations! As the Can $ is getting high the prices dont react the same way... to bad.
Old 07-02-07, 09:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The batteries in this bicycle are lead acid. It's never advisable to leave lead acid batteries partially discharged. Will your wife be able to plug her charger in at work? If not, I'd consider upgrading to nimh or lipo batteries as these can be left partially discharged with no cycle life penalties.

Robbie
Old 07-02-07, 05:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
The batteries in this bicycle are lead acid. It's never advisable to leave lead acid batteries partially discharged. Will your wife be able to plug her charger in at work? If not, I'd consider upgrading to nimh or lipo batteries as these can be left partially discharged with no cycle life penalties.

Robbie
What nimh or lipo batteries do you recomend?
Old 07-02-07, 08:23 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ That depends on a lot of factors. None of which are known as the original poster hasn't responded. Unlike you, I'm not interested in just preaching how much I think I know. I'd rather cut right to the chase. If he's interested, he'll inquire further. It's nowhere near as big a deal as you make it out to be.

Robbie
Old 07-02-07, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Trek MTB + 2 e bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ That depends on a lot of factors. None of which are known as the original poster hasn't responded. Unlike you, I'm not interested in just preaching how much I think I know. I'd rather cut right to the chase. If he's interested, he'll inquire further. It's nowhere near as big a deal as you make it out to be.

Robbie
The original poster probably didnt respond because he knew he'd get another BS response like every post you make here ROBbie.
Like you know anything about Nimh or Lipo technology- lol
Old 07-03-07, 04:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Wife Can't Ride the Bike .. .

I looks like the wife cannot ride the bike. Even-though its a "unisex design" she is just too short to get on or off without tipping over. She definitely needs a girls bike. So the bike will be up for sale when I get the new front wheel. Oh, I did get a wheel, but it was the a rear wheel and had to reorder. Imagine this, they said to keep the rear wheel/tire anyway.

Can't answer to battery life or range yet and my not be able to either.

Tom
Old 07-03-07, 06:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tom. Please come back should you want to give it another go.
Old 07-03-07, 06:24 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The original poster probably didnt respond because he knew he'd get another BS response like every post you make here ROBbie. Like you know anything about Nimh or Lipo technology- lol
Just because I have a sense of humor and don't spend my day crowing about how my approach is the only one that's correct in the whole world of ebikes like your hero Randy Draper (aka EbikeHawaii) doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I've been making my own custom nicad and nimh battery packs for over 5 years now. I design and implement my own smart chargers that run multiple cutoff algorithms simultaneously with all of the industry standard failsafes. When I say "I design my own" that includes switch mode regulator and microcontroller hardware, software, and pcb design. I'm certain that I'm better versed in these matters than you are. When the day comes that I want to dive into lipo battery packs, I already am familiar with the orthodox approach to electronic battery management system design.

You should not attack me as I may start to find making you look foolish amusing as well.

Robbie

Last edited by Robbie Hatfield; 07-03-07 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-03-07, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Trek MTB + 2 e bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because I have a sense of humor and don't spend my day crowing about how my approach is the only one that's correct in the whole world of ebikes like your hero Randy Draper (aka EbikeHawaii) doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I've been making my own custom nicad and nimh battery packs for over 5 years now. I design and implement my own smart chargers that run multiple cutoff algorithms simultaneously with all of the industry standard failsafes. When I say "I design my own" that includes switch mode regulator and microcontroller hardware, software, and pcb design. I'm certain that I'm better versed in these matters than you are. When the day comes that I want to dive into lipo battery packs, I already am familiar with the orthodox approach to electronic battery management system design.

You should not attack me as I may start to find making you look foolish amusing as well.

Robbie
Clay, oops I mean Robbie, the two are the same folks, you are an e bike groupie of the lowest order. Pathetic loser.
Old 07-03-07, 01:12 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What exactly is an 'ebike groupie'?
Old 07-04-07, 09:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clay Coppinger
What exactly is an 'ebike groupie'?
I think it's that Ebike hawaii guy or something.