Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suntour barcon (front/left) slips

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, Burley Bossa Nova tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have an older Burley Bossa Nova tandem with suntour barcons and the front derailleur no longer holds its position. I tried tightening the screw (with the little flip-out ring) on the right side of the barcon but that did not seem to help. I managed to take it apart enough to remove it from the bar, but have not been able to take it apart any further. Is there any maintenance/cleaning I can do, or parts that need replacement to get it to hold again?
Old 06-18-07, 11:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You too!

I was starting to think I was the only person with a Burley Bossa Nova! I bought mine used last year and have torn it completely apart, had it powder coated and reassembled. I am having the same problem (started this weekend) and searched the forums using "suntour barcon". There appears to be a thread (fender1) with a similar question regarding the rear dérailleur, not sure it applies to our problem. Let me know if you have any luck. You might also want to post in classic and vintage.
Old 06-18-07, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, Burley Bossa Nova tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link, I will check tonight to see if that also works on the left side and let you know how it comes out. If it doesn't work, I will post again in the vintage forum.

We've owned our Bossa Nova for almost 2 years and we have liked it very much.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-07, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you had the part here in front of me I could "fix" it rather quickly... not having one in front of me... or not having to have done it in some time... I am not sure I could easily tell you how to do it on-line. ?? on the side opposite the wing nut there are two [or should be two] "nuts" a larger outer hinding an inner smaller one. Take the outer off and then make the adjustment you need.

glenn
Old 06-18-07, 12:21 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'll have to see if my Barnett's manual has an illustration when I get home tonight. If so, I'll scan it and post.
Old 06-18-07, 06:35 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
I'll have to see if my Barnett's manual has an illustration when I get home tonight. If so, I'll scan it and post.
No such luck... Anyway, as others have suggested, you just need to carefully disassemble the shifter and snug up adjusting and fixing nuts. Do the disassembly over some white paper towels so nothing goes missing and be sure to lay each piece you remove out in the order in which they are removed, to include keeping the orientation consistent, e.g., every goes face down or face up. Once it's all apart, clean and dry each part before it goes back together... in reverse order.

Note: As best as I can recall, SunTour's indexed and non-indexed friction shifters were "dry" shifters and didn't need lubrication. I could be wrong on this point: it's been a while since I messed around with SunTour shifters.
Old 06-19-07, 04:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Note: As best as I can recall, SunTour's indexed and non-indexed friction shifters were "dry" shifters and didn't need lubrication. I could be wrong on this point: it's been a while since I messed around with SunTour shifters.

In servicing them I used to use a light spray lube on them. Generally the only time they needed to be disasembled was to change their position [or tighten their "fixing" to the bar] Or as said to tighten the lever action.

glenn
Old 06-30-07, 05:55 PM
mmmmm beer

Bikes: Burley Bossa Nova tandem (1990), Cannondale M900, Specialized Hardrock, Raleigh Competition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 1990 Bossa Nova, it has been a great tandem. I had issues w/ the shifters and switched them out with some tried and true Suntour Bar end rachet shifters circa 1980, not as elegant but work like a charm.

Greg