Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Toe Clips?

Old 06-23-07, 11:57 AM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe Clips?

I'm getting back into biking, recreationally. I'm wondering about what I think are called "toe clips". Instead of a clipless system, it's essentially a leather strap "cage" to hold the shoe in place on the pedal? I got into the habit of riding on my arches in the past, and would like to get out of it, so as to hopefully ride better. Are these retrofit-able to older pedals? I just picked up some road bikes with old style pedals (rat traps?), and I'm trying to keep things on the cheap for the moment. [I'll probably ride for a while with them just as they are, but I'm wondering if I'll like a simple upgrade.]

Thanks.
Old 06-23-07, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Look at the front of your pedals, if they are flat and there are two screw mount holes, and if there are two slots in the sides of the pedals for threading the straps, then yes you can add a set of straps and cages.
Old 06-23-07, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Toe clips and straps let you use normal shoes. Easier for the recreational rider. You can also adjust your comfort level with how tight you pull on the straps. I usually have it barely tight enough to hold the feet in; the smooth pedaling-form keeps the feet centered over the pedals. When I need to stop, I just yank backwards a little and the shoe comes out easily.
Old 06-23-07, 04:07 PM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's me; recreational rider. Anyhow, I dropped my Fisher off at the LBS, to see if they can get the seatpost free (I told them not to go too expensive; new MTB's aren't that expensive in my style of riding); they had a used set of pedals with straps, so I said to use those (old pedals shot).

I did some quick blasts on my "new" bike (Panasonic Sport 1000), it has rat traps for pedals (I think that's the term). I find that my sneakers stay put much better on that.
Old 06-23-07, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll take some heat about the toe clips (sample comment: "You'd be a lot faster if you'd upgrade to clipless," with an implied, "you stupid noob" at the end). I'm still using them on all but one bike, though. I ride a lot in town, a lot of casual hop-on-the-bike stuff, and I like to be able to do it without changing shoes, and to be able to stop for coffee without walking like a duck. I do have clipless on my Rambouillet, but at least for the kind of riding I do, there's no perceptible difference--I go uphill slow and downhill fast no matter what.
Old 06-23-07, 09:42 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I've used clips since '74. Still love to use them. If it's what you prefer, why change? If you want to try clipless, go for it. Life is short, enjoy biking.
Old 06-24-07, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Power Straps. More comfortable than toe clips and allow you to use tennis shoes if you don't want bike shoes.

I just went to SpeedPlay Zero pedals for my trike, but you really don't want to try an walk around on those cleats.