Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Park your bike outside! It SHOULD be fine.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 12:22 AM

Bikes: Electra Rockabilly Boogie, Electra Deluxe 3, Sector 9 Goddess (my skateboard!) and soon... A full-suspension mountain rig!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I walk into Nytro Racing in Encinitas California the other day to look into buying a pair of shoes and a helmet to finally complete my road setup. It's a high end roadie shop with a bunch of cool bikes. Well, I actually rode to the shop on my Electra cruiser. I didn't have a lock so I pull my bike into the shop and park it out of the way. "These guys only sell road bikes so it shouldn't cause a confusion at all", I thought. Well, a few minutes later I ask a shop employee, "Hey is my bike fine here?" And the guy answers, sort of mumbling, "Uh, I guess, it should be fine. But you could also put it outside the front door. It should be fine." I say, "OK, thanks" And start walking to the back of the shop thinking the guy gave me the option of leaving it there or taking it outside. I mean, I wasn't comfortable leaving my prized Electra outside the front door without a lock! So suddenly and before I have a chance to go any further, the employee says, "NO. I mean, put it outsite the front door. It SHOULD be fine!" So this guy just asked me to park my bike outside and on top of that tries to assure me that it SHOULD be fine! What is that supposed to mean?!!! "Should" doesn't sound very safe to me. Anyway, I'm definitely not going back to that shop again. I thought the guy was rude and inconsiderate. And if he was simply shunning me down because I was riding a beach cruiser, then with more reason will I NOT buy from these guys ever. WHAT DO YOU THINK??
Old 06-25-07, 12:38 AM
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should probably carry a bike lock with you. Saying that though, if your bike wasn't in the way he should have let it be.
Old 06-25-07, 01:24 AM
I pedal what I ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just get a lock and stop trying to make something out of nothing. Their shop, they have a right not to have you park your bike in it.
Old 06-25-07, 01:37 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
A LBS here had several locked bikes stolen from just outside the door.
Old 06-25-07, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
A bike shop that won't let you bring your bike inside? Screw em, go elsewhere.
Old 06-25-07, 02:30 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aye out of order that i reckon...
Old 06-25-07, 04:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure of the situation, so can't really judge.

I personally would just carry a lock, preferably the usual Sold Secure ones, but some type of lock that forces a thief to commit a prosecutable crime to obtain the bike. Even a cable lock that shouts "I wuv bolt cutters" is better than nothing.

One thing I wish the makers of the Townie would do, especially with the models that are European cruisers... install Axa Basta or that type of lock on the rear wheel/seatstays, preferably the model that has a cable. No, its not as solid security as a good U-lock, but it guarentees that the bike has some way of staying put.
Old 06-25-07, 05:35 AM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If pet shops allow you to walk around the store with your dog, bike shops should allow bikes inside. I'd find a manager and inquire if that was the policy, and if so, find someplace else to shop.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 06-25-07, 05:37 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twahl
someplace else to shop.
and let the shop know why..
Old 06-25-07, 06:04 AM
the bike made me do it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in a shop and people bring their bikes in to the shop on occasion. At times it is okay at others it is not. We get extremely busy and can't have someones bike in the way. Most people tend to want to put their bikes up against the wall that has products on it, most often a rack of clothing! It just makes a mess of things.

I would really suggest getting a bike lock. I assume the shop had a bike rack out front that you could lock it to?
Old 06-25-07, 07:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solution, always carry a bike lock regardless. LBS isn't always a safe place to park a bike unlock. Although I have seen a couple shopping with their touring bikes inside a REI store, maybe they didn't have locks with them?
Old 06-25-07, 07:43 AM
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A building full of bikes wont allow you to park yours indoors while you shop?

Uhh ok.
Old 06-25-07, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get on bike.

Just keep riding.

Never go back.

Yup, that'ld do it.
Old 06-25-07, 09:26 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
A bike shop that won't let you bring your bike inside? I wouldn't come back.

(If the shop were really crowded and I were asked politely to park my bike outside because of that, and maybe even provided with a lender lock if I didn't have one, then it would've been ok.)
Old 06-25-07, 09:40 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
The several LBSs I've visited would be a nightmare on busy weekend hours if everyone brought their bike in who wasn't getting it repaired.
There are already enough bikes being moved around for customer demos, repair, etc. Some of these LBSs have bike repair entrance at rear so as to avoid the bike traffic thru the showroom.

Al
Old 06-25-07, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Stowe(3), Terry(1), Cannondale Tandem (1)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS is on one of the worst cycling roads in town. So it solves the problem nicely for me. I drive to the bike store...

Sheldon
Old 06-25-07, 10:56 AM
Drop Master

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix / Scott CR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should have brought a bike lock with you if you knew that you were going to a store. The store is not the problem for not letting you bring your bike inside. A store is required to have certain items in certain areas for safety reasons. There is no provision in most LBS for customers to park their bikes "Inside" while they shop. Could you imagine the mess it would be if LBS let Customers park inside the store? There would be law suits and damaged merchandise everywhere.

What you have done is like asking me to let you park you bike in my living room and my right to say “NO” does not mean I am the one with a problem. ....
Old 06-25-07, 11:05 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

I've been to LBSs that do let customers bring bikes in and it can be annoying with several customer bikes leaning up against display counters or wall racks and trying to look at stuff.

Al
Old 06-25-07, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I park my bike in their rack outside the service entrance. One day I was just running in for a minute so I didn't lock it. When it looked like I was going to take longer, I said the LBS guy, "I better go lock my bike up." and he said, "Or you could just bring it inside. You can put it that stand right there." (It was a free-standing floor rack.) Admittedly, they were not very busy that day, but they get brownie points for being so accommodating. It's a pretty good shop. A little pricey on some things, but not bad.
Old 06-25-07, 11:41 AM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We prefer that customers not bring their bike in the store. It is small and there is not much room as it is.(I sometimes have to store my bike outside because there is not enough storage room) They also tend to do things like lean them against the clothing in the racks(We have had to sell clothing as used because of oil/dirt from drivetrains.
However we do have loaner locks for people to lock them up outside, where we have a rack, and we have let people that work in the shopping center store their bikes in the back when they forgot to bring a lock.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 06-25-07, 12:10 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Since it was there for a few minutes with no problems then it was totally fine. You never should have asked the question. The shop employee was just trying to avoid a silly sounding answer. He did not know how to answer a question that made absolutely no sense, the answer was clear already, it was fine. That's why he was mumbling, silly question. He said it was fine inside, and it was fine outside. He did not mind either location. He was trying to say it does not matter.

But when he thought you were going to park it outside he wanted to keep you from leaving it unlocked outside and possibly loosing it. That is why he said "Should" so many times. He was trying to say, I can't promise it won't be stolen. He was trying to help you. You did not understand him, he was trying to help you not get your bike stolen. He was not shunning you because of your bike, he was trying to keep it from being stolen. That shows that he values you not loosing your bike. You did not understand. You imagine that they might look down on your Electra on your own. There is nothing indicating they do. You imagined the bike might be in the way, there was nothing indicating it was. In fact there was indication that it was not in the way. ********************???
Old 06-25-07, 12:18 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I've been to LBSs that do let customers bring bikes in and it can be annoying with several customer bikes leaning up against display counters or wall racks and trying to look at stuff.
One more argument for kickstands.

Could you imagine the mess it would be if LBS let Customers park inside the store? There would be law suits and damaged merchandise everywhere.
Yes, I could imagine that situation because that's what I encounter every day I visit any of my several favourite LBSs. They all allow bikes inside.

At any rate, the real question to ask in the OP's case is whether a customer with a Trek Madone would be told to park the bike outside at that store.
Old 06-25-07, 12:22 PM
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by chephy
One more argument for kickstands.
Sure, but a bike using a kickstand can take up more floorspace. When folks use the kick stand they couldn't usually put it in the middle of the aisle, blocking it, but instead close to wall, which usually has a display of some sort.

Al
Old 06-25-07, 12:26 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
A bike shop that won't let you bring your bike inside? I wouldn't come back.

(If the shop were really crowded and I were asked politely to park my bike outside because of that, and maybe even provided with a lender lock if I didn't have one, then it would've been ok.)
A lender lock? How 'bout some free beer and pizza too in case anybody forgot to bring their own?

Edit: I see that Rev Chuck's LBS does provide loaner locks to characters that "forget" their own; how 'bout that beer and pizza loaner policy?
Old 06-25-07, 01:08 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I would never do business with a bike shop that objected to me bringing my bike inside.

Sheldon "It's A BIKE Shop!" Brown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.