Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

All-Mountain fitment

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

All-Mountain fitment

Old 06-25-07, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All-Mountain fitment

I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into cycling. I need an enjoyable fitness program, and have decided to do some trail riding. I have a fitment problem due to a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident. My neck is pretty stiff, and looking "up" for very long leaves me in pain. I went to 5 LBS in Houston Saturday, and didn't find many bikes that offer an upright riding position, and exactly none with dual suspension, which is necessary to keep me off pain pills. One shop manager suggested an All-Mountain or Downhill style bike for their geometry. With South Texas being flat, there were no bikes like this to try at any of the LBS. I've located several bikes like the Session 7/77, Specialized S-Works Enduro, and Santa Cruz Bullit on Evil-Bay, but have questions.

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam (long torso), and ride with the seat about 25" above crank centerpoint(measured along seatpost). My old rigid bike is 16.5" with about 21.5" top tube length. By swapping bars, stem, etc, I was able to get a comfortable riding position with the grips at about 4" above the saddle. I just can't ride the rigid bike except on the road because of the jarring.

My question is whether an AM or DH bike can be configured in this way, and should I go with a 15.5" or 17" frame? I ride ranch roads and singletrack in flat South Texas, and Hill Country State Park trails, so I don't think component selection is much of an issue, so don't worry about that. I know my situation is not applicable to most people, so any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

Brian
Gulf Coast, Texas
Old 06-25-07, 11:04 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you thought about a thud buster on your rigid?

https://www.thudbuster.com/
Old 06-25-07, 11:43 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stay away from the down hill bikes...they're heavy and hard to peddle on the flats...they don't climb at all. Of the bikes you mentioned the Enduro is a nice light bike with an XC drive train...looks mean, but its a sub 30lb sweetheart. I wouldn't spring for the S-Works, though...Specialized uses the same shock and fork on all models so paying so much extra for the carbon frame to save a couple of pounds makes little sense.

I'd add a riser stem and bars for a more upright position,

I'm not familiar with the session, but the Bullit is a heavy bike as well ore of a free ride bike....those DH rigs work best with gravity...

Many people who have serious back pain prefer the recumbants...maybe these will work for you

good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
enduro.jpg (78.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-26-07, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the looks of the Enduro. There are even a couple of used ones out there. For those who have ridden one, can it be configured with an upright riding position, and what size frame would you recommend for my size? Thanks, Brian