Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

The Clydest of the Clydes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Clydest of the Clydes

I don't know why I thought of this - maybe the recent threads about forks and wheels able to bear the weight of a Clyde - but here goes:

A couple of years ago I was working out of town at a new and very large distribution center under construction. Most contractors working there actually bought golf carts to haul their crews and parts around. The place was huge - somebody told me that, if you stood it on end, it would be 400 ft taller than the Empire State Building. Anyway, one of the guys working there was just seriously obese. He was close to 7' tall, but extremely overweight - I'd guess him at 400 to 450 lbs easy. One of his thighs was as big around as my waist, and I'm built like an NFL defensive lineman.

Anyway, one day this guy comes in with this cruiser style bike that he bought at a yard sale - single speed, coaster brake, cruiser bars, basket on the handlebars, etc., and starts to use it to get around the building. Anyway, I'm thinking "I wonder how long this is gonna last?"

Well, it lasted about two weeks. One Monday I came in after a weekend home, and the poor cruiser was pushed over into the corner in a heap - the back wheel had collapsed!

I've heard people refer to wheels being "Tacoed", well, that's exactly what this wheel looked like - a taco.

Like I said, I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up. I mean, I'm no lightweight myself. I go 6' - 2-1/2" and weigh (as of 7:00 AM this morning) 265 lbs. Dang, I gained 10 pounds this weekend with all the junk I ate at two anniversary parties - my wife and I celebrated 29 years. I'd be out right now trying to ride it back off except it's pouring down rain and lightning is striking all over the place. I know how hard it is to lose it and keep it off.

I honestly felt bad for the guy, but, you know, every time you saw this guy he was drinking a Coke and eating a glazed donut. I would never have believed, though, that a wheel would fold up under somebody like that - warp out of shape, pop a spoke, or something, but never totally structurally fail! Had to see it to believe it.
Old 06-26-07, 05:29 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Yep, that was a tacoed wheel! It can happen!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-26-07, 06:30 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No surprise, especially if this was a stock or bargain store bike. Because he got it at a yard sale, no telling where it was from or what it had seen. Unless it was a hand-built wheel it is doomed to failure. My first stock wheel popped two spokes after 2,000 miles. If I didn't pull over the wheel would have certainly tacoed.

There are a few of us here in the same situation so ease up on the ridicule.
Old 06-26-07, 06:33 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by (51)
No surprise, especially if this was a stock or bargain store bike. Because he got it at a yard sale, no telling where it was from or what it had seen. Unless it was a hand-built wheel it is doomed to failure. My first stock wheel popped two spokes after 2,000 miles. If I didn't pull over the wheel would have certainly tacoed.

I'm hoping he was coming at it from the perspective of an honest question. I've tacoed my share of wheels as well, and it's certainly not fun.

Old 06-26-07, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said, I'm no lightweight myself. I'm buying a Surly LHT because I like the idea that it's built to carry weight.

I guess I was reminded of this by two recent posts - one about forks and one about wheels - asking for recommendations regarding heavy bicyclists. No ridicule intended.
Old 06-26-07, 07:13 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No problem. Feel free to ask questions! We all have learned much from each other.

Bringing in a scenario where someone else broke his bike because of his height/weight is a little touchy.

So your question is about a Surly LHT? From what I hear they are bombproof! At 6'2" 260# you should not have a problem!
Old 06-26-07, 07:34 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that can happen to anyone, right? If you don't maintain your bike, the spokes get lose or wrecked, you do curbs or off-road.....
Old 06-26-07, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)

What ridicule?
Old 06-26-07, 11:41 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that can happen to anyone, right? If you don't maintain your bike, the spokes get lose or wrecked, you do curbs or off-road.....
My son, 5'11 and 145 lbs taco'd his back wheel several months ago, and I quote, "I was just riding it down the road coming back from Nick's house, honest".

Old 06-27-07, 06:22 PM

Bikes: 76 raleigh grand sport, 1970s motobecane grand record and,a peugeot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i tacoed a 36 spoke weinmann rim about 3 weeks-- a month ago.
of course,it was 30 years old as,were the spokes.i had no idea what had happened.
i was riding along and, then i was looking at the ground. it was my front wheel.im just now getting my nerve back.
im trying to avoid every bump,i hear every creak,i check my spokes, before-during and, after every ride.
one taco is enough.
Old 06-27-07, 06:43 PM

You want fear? Try dropping a hill for the first time on a 20 year old set of Weinnmans at 50 mph as a Clyde!