Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Added a suspension fork, how do I make the brakes work?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little help, please?

I installed an older (90's) rockshox fork on my older ('96) Giant MTB; but the brake mounts are different than on my old rigid fork. The springs don't line up, if that makes any sense. Also, the new fork has a center pull bridge (for lack of a better word) that seems to be where the cable should go; is this a new cable stop? Do I just need to get a longer cable jacket for my existing cable?

Small words, please. I'm new to this.
Old 06-27-07, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The center pull bridge thing, yes, that's your new cable stop. If you think about it, it has to be there now, or else your brakes will slacken when the shock compresses. You'll just need a longer cable housing, five bucks at your local shop.

I'm assuming you have cantilevers, not v-brakes. If you've got v-brakes, ignore the cable stop and run the cable the way it was.

I'm not sure what you mean by the springs not lining up, but I suspect you mean the hole for the thin wire spring doesn't meet your brake arm when you put it on. It shouldn't - you need to stick it on so the end of the wire goes in the hole, then swing the brake arm up, compressing the spring. That's what makes the brake pad to come off the rim when you let go of the brake lever.

Does that help?
Old 06-27-07, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, that explains it. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the cable stop had to be on the fork.

Thanks!