Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting hub: Axle compression w/ a solid axle ??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-27-07, 03:22 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shuffling the spacers so a 7-speed freewheel fits the spacing of my tank. I'm adjusting the solid-axle rear hub repeatedly, and I don't understand what I'm seeing.

Using a Stein hub axle vise; adjusting the non-drive side, meaning the drive side is bolted to the vise. What we're looking for is the point where any play in the bearings just disappears. Back off a few degrees and the play would reappear. The wheel should spin freely at that point.

Various techniques produce the same weird result. All start with the locknut backed off:
  • wiggling the rim to feel for play, turn down the cone to just the right point. Hold the cone there and tighten the locknut. The bearings immediately become too tight!
  • adjust the cone until there's a small amount of play - purposely too loose. Tighten the locknut and the play disappears!
  • spin the wheel and take the cone down until drag appears; back off a little. Tighten the locknut and the wheel slows right down.
  • repeat all the above with the wheel bolted to the outside of the dropout (so vertical instead of horizontal) and the same thing happens.

This doesn't make any sense. It's acting like a QR axle, with the axle 'compressing' when the skewer is clamped. But unlike a QR axle, there's no compression applied across the bearings.

What the heck is going on, and how does one find the "sweet spot" without repeated trial and error?

- Will Rogers
Old 06-27-07, 03:53 PM
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Is the lock nut tight on the drive side?
Old 06-27-07, 04:04 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
There is a small amount of play in the threads themselves between the male and female parts, so that the locknut would indeed push the cone down slightly when tightened. This is different than axle compression and is perfectly normal. The usual procedure for adjusting a solid axle bearing is to move the cone down till no play, back off slightly and then tighten the locknut. The difference is that once you have adjusted a solid axle bearing the adjustment does not change when you mount the wheel. For a trained, experienced mechanic it's still trial and error, just less of it.
Old 06-27-07, 04:11 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Is the lock nut tight on the drive side?
Yep. And I'm watching the axle to be sure it isn't turning with the adjusting locknut.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-27-07, 04:15 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
There is a small amount of play in the threads themselves
Yes, and the cone wrench doesn't hold the cone perfectly, so I expect some variance. Maybe I'm just not expecting enough.

The usual procedure for adjusting a solid axle bearing is to move the cone down till no play, back off slightly and then tighten the locknut. .
When I do this I end up with a bearing that's too tight - the wheel doesn't spin freely. I suppose this could be compensated by backing off a lot more that one might expect - maybe the full quarter turn that the Park site describes as "purposely too loose".

Which is essentially what I did last iteration and I now have a decently adjusted hub. But I have to go back into it because the drive side spacer is too thin, and I wanted to ask before the (hopefully) last iteration.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-27-07, 05:42 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Yes, and the cone wrench doesn't hold the cone perfectly, so I expect some variance. Maybe I'm just not expecting enough.
Yes, probably so. It all depends on the sloppiness of the thread.
Old 06-27-07, 07:46 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No "last iteration". I held the drive-side cone still while adding spacer and it came out as good as it went it.

I still don't feel good about it, but the bike is a POS. I'll get more anal if I see something like this on a nice group.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-28-07, 04:51 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The way I deal with this is to adjust the cone a bit loose, holding the cone with a wrench I tighten up the locknut just shy of final torque value. If the bearings tighten up I just back out the cone a bit aganist the locknut until I have proper bearing preload. YMMV