Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's the advantage of a Kryptonite New York Noose chain over a regular chain?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 11:43 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's the advantage of a Kryptonite New York Noose chain over a regular chain? Thanks.

https://www.kryptonite.com/Products/P...=1002&pid=1196

Old 06-28-07, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Z - I can answer that one! The chain itself is the same chain - except the end of the NY Noose as the large "O" ring. This allows you to pass the other end of the chain through it when locking. Doing this gives you the same usable length of chain, without the bulk/weight of carrying extra links. Why? Because you doing have to use links/chain to go around both objects. It's pretty cool. Drawback? If you want to ride with it, you'll have to store it in a bag or something. It won't fit around your waist (70cm)- at least it won't fit around mine comfortably.....I won't speak for you....
Hope that helped.
Donna
Kryptonite
Old 06-28-07, 01:20 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minor hijack:

Donna, what do I have to do to get a few locks keyed like my NY lock (disc keys from '05)?
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 06-28-07, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kryptonite Lock
Hey Z - I can answer that one! The chain itself is the same chain - except the end of the NY Noose as the large "O" ring. This allows you to pass the other end of the chain through it when locking. Doing this gives you the same usable length of chain, without the bulk/weight of carrying extra links. Why? Because you doing have to use links/chain to go around both objects....
Ummm, what?
Could you possibly supply a diagram of this matter?
-----
I recently went lock shopping wondered the same thing (what's the noose good for?).... The only thing I could imagine was that you could avoid having slack in the locked loop of the chain IF it was possible to insert the lock through any link of the chain--but other people said this was not so, they said the lock shackle would only fit through the end link.

...I ended up getting a 5' Fagetaboudit. At first I was afraid it would be kinda heavy (and wasn't disappointed there!) but there's not a lot of bike racks in my town, I have to lock around telephone poles, and the 3' would have had problems. Also I can wear it like a bandolier to carry it, and the 3' wouldn't be carryable like that.
~
Old 06-28-07, 03:42 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Ummm, what?
+a bazillion.
I just don't get this comment
"Cinch loop for effective lock ups using less chain, which means less bulk to carry"
It looks like you could cinch your bike up to an object easily since the noose piece probably won't slide on the fabric covered chain. Don't see how that uses less chain though. Please provide some instructions on how to use this lock which y'all feel is superior. I can't find any through my limited googling and on the krypto site.

Honestly it looks to me like it would be alot less safe though since rather then take up the slack by wrapping a chain you'd leave all the slack there for a thief/vandal to use against you. Plus it looks like the same lock on the regular chain so your giving more room in the shackle to cut/leverage it. Since the noose chain only locks to one link it should have a really small shackle on the loop. That big O-Ring looks like an easy cut/weak spot too.
I use my Fagetaboudit u-lock and chain along with pitlocks. All the locks are probably worth more then my bike but I'm 11 miles from home where my bike is parked and I'd rather not walk.
Old 08-29-08, 01:05 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Ummm, what?
Could you possibly supply a diagram of this matter?
Imagine two pillars being locked together.

Here is how you would do it with a regular chain.
regular.jpg

Here is how you would do it with the noose style chain.
noose.jpg

Notice how the regular style chain needs to cover the distance between the pillars twice while the noose style chain only needs to cover it once. Very clever.

Last edited by makeinu; 08-29-08 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-29-08, 06:58 AM
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Imagine two pillars being locked together.

Here is how you would do it with a regular chain.
Attachment 79689

Here is how you would do it with the noose style chain.
Attachment 79690

Notice how the regular style chain needs to cover the distance between the pillars twice while the noose style chain only needs to cover it once. Very clever.
You should print that out and stick it on the fridge at your mom's house. That's awesome.

Seriously though, thanks for taking the effort to explain.