Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I apply dry lube over White Lightning?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 07:41 PM
Blue Light Special

Bikes: '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been running White Lightning on my chains down here in humid Texas. It's been doing the job fine without making a black greasy mess of things like wet lubes tend to do. Thing is, I'm planning a ride this weekend and the forecast is rain, so I'd like to put some dry teflon lube over the chain. Can I do this without deep cleaning or degreasing the chain to get the White Lightning off? It's been about 100 miles since the last application so maybe it's worn off a bit, but are there any issues with mixing the two types of lubes?

Also, I'm just using the dry lube because I have some left. I'm not sure if a wet lube like Prolink would be a better choice for rainy weather...
Old 06-28-07, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prolink claims to be a good wet and dry lube.
Old 07-01-07, 09:09 PM
Blue Light Special

Bikes: '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, so I did a long dry-humid-wet ride this weekend with Prolink on the chain. By the end about 150 miles the chain was covered in a thick layer of black crud. I guess my next question would be how to remove the Prolink completely so I can put my trusty White Lightning back on...(never mind, I'm sure a full degreasing will do the trick).