Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rebuild 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-07, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about rebuilding my Gran Sport with indexed shifters and lighter wheels, etc. My local bike shop says to forget it and buy a new bike (last year I bought a Cannondale Synapse carbon 2 from them--they don't seem to understand 34 years of attachment). I've been searching this forum for specifics on whether, say, a Shimano groupset would fit this frame and I did call Performance Bike who told me I need to take it to a frame shop so the 10speed gear set will fit (the bike shop says to just shove it in and I have looked at Sheldon Brown's site about cold setting the frame).

In addition, I have Campy hubs that I may keep if they are in good condition, however I'd still like to put on lighter wheels and spokes--does this make sense? Money's not the major issue--it's more of an emotional journey, with the end result, hopefully being a nice upgraded ridable bicycle.

I'd appreciate any input, or direction to relevant posts that have already dealt with this issue.

Thanks
Old 06-30-07, 09:30 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We need pictures. The Gran Sport should be 531 tubing, chrome tipped forks and stays, and a Brooks saddle. I say go for it.

I have, what I believe is a 73 Gran Sport that's evolved. I've been trying to rebuild mine with Suntour accushift but cannot find a good downtube clamp. I'm having a set of freewheel Normandy high flange hubs (like orginals) built up with 700c Sun M13II rims. I'm using elkskin leather bar wrap (veloorange). I'm keeping the Suntour VGTLuxe RD and Spirit FD.
Old 07-01-07, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic.

Here's the "Great White Shark"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gran sport.jpg (35.5 KB, 124 views)
Old 07-01-07, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
If the frame fits you, there's no real reason not to be able to upgrade, and given the double-butted Reynolds 531 frameset, you have good bones to work with. You can widen the rear triangle or have a willing bike shop do it. Were the original wheels 27"? Does it have a derailleur hanger brazed on?

Neal
Old 07-01-07, 07:04 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by charlesa46741
Here's the "Great White Shark"
Try uploading the picture to

https://imageshack.us/

and posting a thumbnail or direct link. I'd like to see a detailed picture - and compare to my Gran Sport
Old 07-02-07, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pictures

Here's another try for pictures. The wheels have been and are 27" and the rear derailleur hanger does not appear to be brazed on. Has anyone besides me experienced instability because of the 531 front forks?
Attached Images
pic1.jpg (75.6 KB, 87 views)
pic2.jpg (85.2 KB, 78 views)
pic3.jpg (80.1 KB, 67 views)
pic5.jpg (81.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 07-02-07, 05:01 PM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
You can do it, most will tell you it's not cost effective but you already know that. Emotional attachment counts.

Get ahold of some 700C wheels and see if your brakes have enough reach. If not add new long reach brakes to your part list. You'll also have to drill out your front fork. The S. Brown site has directions and I can testify that it's pretty easy.

Other than wheels and brake fit the rest of the stuff bolts on. Time and money answers most questions.

Old 07-02-07, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,692 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by charlesa46741
Has anyone besides me experienced instability because of the 531 front forks?
Nothing about the fork is inherently unstable, so I'd guess that your fork is tweaked a bit. A good bike shop should be able to check its alignment and potentially straighten it.

Neal
Old 07-02-07, 06:22 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
A good bike shop should be able to...
And on that note, I would also suggest finding a competent bike shop. The folks you've been visiting sound as if they are of the far too common 'could care less' bike shop crowd.

Take care,

-Kurt

Old 07-08-07, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for that front end...

I bought a 21" version of the Raleigh Gran Sport in 1974 -- the very same white with robin's egg blue accents -- which I took around New England and even New York City until 1988, when I shamed into getting a Trek 400. I'd love to love that bike, but as a mechanic at the old "Bicycle Exchange" in Cambridge (where I bought the bike) said, it's a "Turkey". The front end is just too steep. I wouldn't say the fork/front end is unstable -- indeed ever with 30 lbs on the back that 531 Fork really shone charging down Berkshire hills -- it's just too stiff and unforgiving! And your foot clearance with the wheel is minimal. The bike has a touring geometry rear end and a racing geometry front end! It was designed as club racing/touring bike -- I guess the front end was there to allow you to dart around your friends during your tour? But the result is a bike that is too jaring to be a good tourer (keeping the front tire at 60 lbs max helps) but not light and quick enough to be racer.

So suit yourself -- but of my collection of cast off "oldies": Raleighs and Treks, a Shogun and Schwinn WorldSport, my old Gran Sport remains the turkey. No matter what components you use -- and know what it came with was generally excellent for the age and price point -- you still won't get the classic ride of Super Course or the agility of a newer design (1980s) Chromoly sport frame.

Good luck
Old 07-08-07, 09:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and as for the wheels...

You may want to think twice before you chuck the wheels. The original Gran Sport came with a common upscale wheel of the day: Weinmann narrow section rims with High Flange Normandy hubs and double-butted spokes. If your bike had the wheels replaced with Araya's or some common alloy wheel with straight spokes, then you may want to move up. But the original double-butted spokes added some needed flex to the frame set-up. You might want to spec. DB spokes for your new wheels. And if your Brakes cannot accomodate the 700 wheels (it was close before I swapped the Center-pull Weinmann 650's for 750's), you can still find 27" rims/wheels which can be set up with 1 1/8" Pasela or Conti 1000 tires. When I want to ride my old Gran Sport, I usually put on the old 27" DB spoke wheels as the 700 straight gauge spoke ones don't really add anything.

Good luck
Old 07-08-07, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
"In addition, I have Campy hubs that I may keep if they are in good condition, however I'd still like to put on lighter wheels and spokes"

I have used Torelli "Master" rims with some of my hubs. They ride well, look good on a vintage bike & are available in silver or black.