Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How hard would it be to get parts for this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 12:08 PM
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would they be standard that I could get at Nashbar or Performance? I know a chain ring is messed up with some bent teeth. Not sure what else but it looks in decent condition. Not even sure of the year or model of the bike. It was given too me a few years back from someone who had probably had it for a while.

Any insight would be appreciated. You can click on the pics to get larger photos.

Old 07-01-07, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, that bike would use standard parts. The frame's 1020 steel is pretty far down the pecking order, so you may not want to dump a lot of $ into it, though. Looks like a good cleaning would go a long way on that bike.

Cleaning, maybe new cables, probably new tubes, tires and you're ready to ride.
Old 07-01-07, 02:10 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. That is good to know. I wouldn't sink much money into it but knowing that it has regular parts rather than obsolete stuff on it makes the difference between hanging on to it or not.

I am probalby 40 pounds away from even thinking about riding it anyway but I will keep it as a future project instead of leaving it by the curb. When I get to that point, riding it for a bit may give me an idea if I want to go to a touring type bike.
Old 07-02-07, 12:18 AM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a bike I would be glad to have. What model schwinn is it, there should be a name on the top tube. the head badge has 1872 on it, that means the 187 day of year 2. 72, 62, 82?? With down tube shifters, 3 piece crank, single pull brakes, and quick release front and back its not at the bottum of the schwinn line up. Keep it, ride it, or send it to me. If you start riding now the 40 will come off a lot quicker. Go a block or 2 next day go 2 or 3 every day a little more.
Old 07-02-07, 03:37 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
tolfan,
looks to me to possibly be a 1982 Super LeTour?. There is a nice one over on this board really makes a nice looking city bike.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-02-07, 04:12 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
It's a 1982 model. I beleive, since it is a Chicago built Le Tour, this means it was a hand built frame, despite the average frame material. I would have pointed you towards the same bike that Aaron mentions above. The fellow who built it, Steve, did a very nice job adapting it to his particular needs. It's also posted here:
https://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/...793#post192793
Good luck with it.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-02-07, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stujoe
Thanks for the info. That is good to know. I wouldn't sink much money into it but knowing that it has regular parts rather than obsolete stuff on it makes the difference between hanging on to it or not.

I am probalby 40 pounds away from even thinking about riding it anyway but I will keep it as a future project instead of leaving it by the curb. When I get to that point, riding it for a bit may give me an idea if I want to go to a touring type bike.
That's a reason to ride, not a reason not to ride. I've dropped 30# since picking it back up, still have another 40# before I get back to a "bikers weight". Get on it and go!

Check out the Clyde subforum if you need some inspiration
Old 07-02-07, 07:43 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for th einfo guys. The top tube had the model rubbed off but I could tell it was Super somethhing but no idea what. The rest of the info you have filled in nicely. 1982 Super Le Tour.

Right now, I am riding an MTB as my bike path and commuting bike so I am not bikeless and am working on the downward weight trend. This would be more for fun and to have a different type of bike. I am thinking something to commute better maybe.

Thanks for the post to that re-done bike. My biggest issue with road type bikes is that I have never been comfortable in the 'drops'. Seeing that other bike, makes me think I might be able to do something other than drops on it.

I guess I should at least clean her up a little. No harm in that.
Old 07-02-07, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Very cool retro Schwinn. I would ride it! I bet it rides like a cadillac, and soaks up the bumps. Who cares if it's not a super high end. It's a nice looking bike, and looks a lot like a SLT 12.2, it's big brother.
Lose the foam grips and buy some black wrap, put some new grease in the bearings, and some new cables. Tires if it needs it. Every road bike I've ever found needs new tires, and it's a good safety precaution. Heck I would tear it all the way down and do a complete cleaning/wax, lube, cables and everything. That bike will look new with a weekend or less of work.,,,,BD
Old 07-04-07, 02:58 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thnaks for the encouragement, Bikedued. Right now, it is in my basement with everything off except the crankset/bb and fork/headset. I need a crank remover and a larger wrench that I can get from work. Both appear smooth and good so should just need cleaning and re-greasing.

From taking it apart, it looks like you are spot on with what I will need....cleaning, grease, cables, tires/tubes and wrap the bars. A new chain too. Other than that, everything looks in quite good condition. Just dirty and grimy.
Old 07-15-07, 05:36 PM
This Space For Rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to update and say thanks again for the info. Finished it up this afternoon with bar tape and new brake pads.

Took it out for about 5 miles tonight as a shake down and it seems to run fine.
Old 07-15-07, 05:39 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You look ready to ride Stujoe! Nice job...

East Hill