Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Major Taylor Velodrome Saturday Night

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 11:40 AM

Bikes: 2006 Cervelo Soloist Team, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Major Taylor Velodrome Saturday Night

Well I must say this was the first time I had ever seen a track race, and what a blast!!

There was one guy in the Cat 1/2 Race that could sprint like no one I have ever seen before. He just rocketed off.

Also never understood why people always talk about track standing till I seen the "Slow Race" The same guy who was sprinting like mad also made track standing look easy. I don't think he moved for the entire 3 minutres.

I got a chance to ride my road bike around the track a for about an hour, and now I'm thinking of getting a track bike.

Now for the Cat 4/5 races how fast is the pace on the track? How fast do I need to be able to sprint too not to look foolish? I was able to avg almost 30mph for a few laps, but it was fairly busy so didn't get a chance to really hammer it. Do they offer some beginner training type races?

Also there was one very nasty wreck, where I wouldn't be surprised if the rider didn't snap his collar bone like a twig.

Also one guy had the coolest bike it was red/white/blue with stars on it, even on the tri spoke rims. Looked very neat spinning around the track.
Old 07-02-07, 11:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh here is that guy who was sprinting like a madman! - https://joshuaweir.com/ Got a chance to talk to him later in the night and what a super nice guy as well!

Here is that kick ass track bike as well

Old 07-02-07, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Alkek Velodrome in Katy Tx on a rented bike. I am currently working in Indy but have yet to have time to check out the track, so I don't know if they rent bikes. I did pull the following from their site:

* Monday (7/2) - Ride Hard, Turn Left (Open track for fitness riding - No track bikes!), 5:00-8:00; open track from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
* Tuesday (7/3) - NO ELITE TRAINING!
* Wednesday (7/4) - Happy 4th of July!
* Thursday (7/5) - NO INTRO RACING!
* Friday (7/6) - MTV TT Night, 5:00-11:00; open track from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
* Saturday (7/7) - Track intro clinic, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
* Sunday (7/8) - Open track, 10:00 am -5:00 pm

Call them: 317) 327-VELO
Old 07-02-07, 12:54 PM
rolling wheels and 88s

Bikes: schwinn crisscross, 06 giant bowery, iron horse warrior disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like a blast. I sure wish there was a track in Kansas City.
Old 07-02-07, 06:45 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Ryan, I was just talking to the Race Director about the training class for Velodrome and asked about the rider.....

He's got to be the luckiest guy in the world! Just a body bruise and road rash and a broken handlebar from that horrendous face plant. Both riders are OK, actually!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-02-07, 07:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WOW!!!

I can't believe the way he hit he was OK! Good to hear though.
Old 07-02-07, 08:00 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have ridden the Major Taylor 'drome on our tandem about a dozen years ago . . . fast!
Old 07-03-07, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormchaser
I rode the Alkek Velodrome in Katy Tx on a rented bike. I am currently working in Indy but have yet to have time to check out the track, so I don't know if they rent bikes. I did pull the following from their site:

* Monday (7/2) - Ride Hard, Turn Left (Open track for fitness riding - No track bikes!), 5:00-8:00; open track from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
* Tuesday (7/3) - NO ELITE TRAINING!
* Wednesday (7/4) - Happy 4th of July!
* Thursday (7/5) - NO INTRO RACING!
* Friday (7/6) - MTV TT Night, 5:00-11:00; open track from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
* Saturday (7/7) - Track intro clinic, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
* Sunday (7/8) - Open track, 10:00 am -5:00 pm

Call them: 317) 327-VELO

Yes, they rent bikes. The resident race director/coach (Ken Nowakowski, I believe) is a nice fellow and very helpful. When my son and I are in Indy to visit family we generally bring our pedals, shoes, and helmets and rent bikes at MTV for a few hours. Highly recommended!

Dr. Bill
Old 07-03-07, 09:37 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Ryan,

Your right. That was a blast watching these guys ride and I was totally blown away at how good they are.

Here are a few pictures

Old 07-03-07, 09:41 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanhulce
Well I must say this was the first time I had ever seen a track race, and what a blast!!

There was one guy in the Cat 1/2 Race that could sprint like no one I have ever seen before. He just rocketed off.

Also never understood why people always talk about track standing till I seen the "Slow Race" The same guy who was sprinting like mad also made track standing look easy. I don't think he moved for the entire 3 minutres.

I got a chance to ride my road bike around the track a for about an hour, and now I'm thinking of getting a track bike.

Now for the Cat 4/5 races how fast is the pace on the track? How fast do I need to be able to sprint too not to look foolish? I was able to avg almost 30mph for a few laps, but it was fairly busy so didn't get a chance to really hammer it. Do they offer some beginner training type races?

Also there was one very nasty wreck, where I wouldn't be surprised if the rider didn't snap his collar bone like a twig.

Also one guy had the coolest bike it was red/white/blue with stars on it, even on the tri spoke rims. Looked very neat spinning around the track.
Yea, that wreck was brutal.
Old 07-04-07, 12:10 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
Yea, that wreck was brutal.
Great pics!

By the way, you guys going to come watch the first time I ride the track on a track bike in a race next season?

I'm going to strip and convert my Raleigh to a fixie track bike. I've been thinking about it and decided to make it happen. I'll be taking the velo clinic soon for my Cat 4 license.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-08-07, 07:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyon fill me in on what average and fast 200 times are at Major Taylor Velodrome?

With a bike like that Im gonna guess he's not from Quebec? hHAHAHA