Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Shared Pump Is Gone!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Shared Pump Is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 11:30 AM
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shared Pump Is Gone!

I live in an apartment building with 8 units, and our basement has about 40 bikes. I'm really the only daily rider, but my neighbor occasionally rides. He has a pump with a gauge, which I have been using daily for the past two years. I asked before if he minded me using it; he said no problem. I offered use of any of my tools or lube as compensation. Now the pump has gone missing. I suspect he is sick of having it used and he hid it. Alas. His right, I suppose.
So I need recommendations for a decent cheapish pump (which, in good conscience, I won't mind others using).
Old 07-05-07, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After two years buy him something as a thankyou. Then buy your own. You'll both feel better.
Old 07-05-07, 11:38 AM
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
excellent point. then if his turns, up, well, we'll have a backup.
Old 07-05-07, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, K2 Mach 1, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been happy with my Topeak Joe Blow floor pump. I was pretty surprised how expensive floor pumps can be...so I got this one which is not the least expensive, but also not the most expensive either...
Old 07-05-07, 12:31 PM

Bikes: 2007 Globe City 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the Park PFP-3 for a few years now and I still love it, can be had for less than $30 on ebay.
Old 07-05-07, 12:34 PM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RahTx
I've been happy with my Topeak Joe Blow floor pump. I was pretty surprised how expensive floor pumps can be...so I got this one which is not the least expensive, but also not the most expensive either...
I've got one of those, and it works great. Very easy to get up and over 100psi.
Old 07-05-07, 01:03 PM
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The blue pump from Nashbar. I think it is their cheapest floor pump. It works great for me.
Old 07-05-07, 01:11 PM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In similar threads the little 12 volt compressors you plug into your car's cigarette lighter have gotten good reviews. They are generally less than $20-$25. They pump to about 120 psi and have a gauge. They are small, portable, and power sources are easy to find. Should you not own a car, the power converter from many old phone answering machines put out 12 volts DC and could be used to power it.
Old 07-05-07, 01:14 PM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
paragon has good pumps for pretty cheap. i got one for $30 bucks. it has a guage and easily pumps up to 130psi.
Old 07-05-07, 05:17 PM

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The JoeBlow has a great valve; they even sell it as a replacement for other floor pumps as a hose-valve combination. I put one on my Blackburn and it works like a champ.
Old 07-05-07, 05:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another vote for the joeblow. There was a joeblow max (still in the packaging, unopened) in a house I moved into two years ago, I havn't had a single problem with it in that time. It pumps up to over 120 psi no problem.
Old 07-05-07, 08:17 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Come over here, I'll give you one.
Old 07-05-07, 08:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ That statement in combination with your avatar makes for a scary proposition...
Old 07-05-07, 09:05 PM
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"All the critics love you in New York"
Old 07-05-07, 09:11 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
^ That statement in combination with your avatar makes for a scary proposition...
LOL, honestly, I have a joe blow sport pump sitting around here.
Old 07-05-07, 09:11 PM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob J
I have had the Park PFP-3 for a few years now and I still love it, can be had for less than $30 on ebay.
Same here. I've only had it since christmas, but it works great. I even top off my car tires with it on occasion.
Old 07-05-07, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a $35 Raleigh red pump with pressure gauge, it's been great so far for both presta and schrader valve.
Old 07-05-07, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbie Hatfield
My thoughts too!

Originally Posted by slvoid
LOL, honestly, I have a joe blow sport pump sitting around here.
Its a bait! Run, ruuun!
Old 07-05-07, 11:50 PM
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dunno if you bought into any of the Ryobi one cordless tool system. If you did, the cordless high pressure inflator is just awesome. Easy to read gauge which is pretty acurate, cordless, fast and painless. Their website is kinda bunk too, this pump is good to 150+ psi.
Old 07-06-07, 01:57 AM

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I have an old cheapy pump that still works except the rubber grip ring that grabs the Schrader valve top is worn & doesn't hold anymore. I contacted 'Bell' whose label is on a $10 Ace Hardware pump that's virtually identical, asking to purchase replacements. No reply yet but to be fair it's a holiday week. Have fashioned a replacement that works ~90% from some fuel line hose. (Thanks to the folks at Elliott's Ace for suggesting this & selling a short length of it for under 50c).

[EDIT: OK, it's fixed 100% now! Tried again with a new snippet of hose. Carefully cut the ends clean and square with a razor blade. Used a little grease on the flat sealing surface vs. the air hose chuck end.]

I hate making landfill out of stuff that's good except for one cheap bit. If I buy another pump, it's going to be a better quality one, and I want it to be from a company with a good rep. for service and that's likely to be around in 10 years if I need a replacement part. What brand would that be?...

Originally Posted by twobikes
...the power converter from many old phone answering machines put out 12 volts DC and could be used to power it.
Sorry, i can't resist pointing out that the power capacity of a phone answering machine power supply may not be sufficient to run a high pressure air pump....

Last edited by duffer1960; 07-06-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 05:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the cheapest floor pump the LBS sold which also came with a gauge, it was on sale at the time, so might not have been the lowest model, no brand name. No complaints, although it is convertible (schrader and presta), which is a big advantage now, although I didn't give a hoot when I bought it. Most of the soft rubber parts seem like things that can be easily fashioned out of odds and ends from the junk box/ace hardware, so I'm not to worried about what happens when things start to wear out.

If someone made one with a backlight on the gauge it would be hard for me to resist buying, it seems like for half the year, I have to futz around with pointing my headlight or taillight at the gauge while I pump up my tires in the morning. Of course getting electricity connected to my garage would fix that problem also.
Old 07-06-07, 07:38 AM
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I love my silca superpista. The head on it only works with presta valves and is replaceable for a couple of bucks. The whole thing can be rebuilt. My friend who owns the lbs has had his silca for years.
Old 07-06-07, 07:44 AM
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Topeak Joe Blow.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 07-06-07, 08:01 AM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
you can get a cheapo pump from walmart for less than 20 bucks with a gauge and have been using it for a couple of years... but I only go to about 100 psi (more comfortable ride that way...). They generally only handle schrader valves but you can also get an adaptor for presta valves so that you can use a schrader pump for about .80 cents...
Old 07-06-07, 08:41 AM
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a footpump from Canadian Tire for $7 that I use at home. My on-bike pump is a $20 or so thing with a stretchable rubber gromit thing that makes it work in presta and schrader valves. For the footpump I just got an adaptor (which I carry in my wedge bag, which is carried in my backpack ) - which is handy if I want to just use the gas station air pump or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.