Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New bike problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bike problems

Hey everyone

Long time reader, first time poster

I recently bought an 07 Giant Thermo 1 and noticed it pulling to the left when I take
my hands off the bars.

The front wheel seems to be aligned properly in the forks, but the rear wheel is 5mm
closer to the left chain stay and central at the seat stays.
Quite noticeably closer to the left with a wider tyre and also difficult to get the wheel
in and out.

I have tried another rear wheel and still have this problem.

The bike shop says in regard to the pulling "you shouldn't take your hands off the bars then"
and about the alignment, 'its nothing to worry about' "if you want a bike thats aligned
precisely you have to spend a lot more". They told me I could have the Giant sales rep have a
look, but he would probably just redish the wheel to move it over a bit.

Is this a problem anyone else would worry about, or am I just being fussy?

Scott.
Old 07-05-07, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your bike should not pull to one side. The wheels may be misaligned, or the rear wheel poorly "dished".

You can check the "trueness" of wheels and frame with string; I believe Sheldon Brown has some articles up.
Old 07-05-07, 11:35 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
If the bike isn't making him happy then the LBS should do the right thing. He bought it new and shouldn't have to worry about it or do anything himself. It should feel like a new bike. Shouldn't it be under warranty??

Unless of course he crashed on it....*shrugs*

Either way, the LBS should not have told him "you shouldn't take your hands off the handlebar then". He really shouldn't be treating a customer - someone who spent hard earned money in his shop - like that.
Old 07-06-07, 12:16 AM
Erectible Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
If the bike isn't making him happy then the LBS should do the right thing. He bought it new and shouldn't have to worry about it or do anything himself. It should feel like a new bike. Shouldn't it be under warranty??

Unless of course he crashed on it....*shrugs*

Either way, the LBS should not have told him "you shouldn't take your hands off the handlebar then". He really shouldn't be treating a customer - someone who spent hard earned money in his shop - like that.
word
Old 07-06-07, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
no the bike has not been crashed, its only a month or two old, so still under warranty.

Seems like they dont want anything to do with it, ill take it back in a week or two for the Giant rep to have a look at it and see what he thinks.
Old 07-06-07, 07:51 PM

Bikes: 84 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sk0tt
The bike shop says in regard to the pulling "you shouldn't take your hands off the bars then"
and about the alignment, 'its nothing to worry about' "if you want a bike thats aligned
precisely you have to spend a lot more". They told me I could have the Giant sales rep have a
look, but he would probably just redish the wheel to move it over a bit.
That's pretty crumby service if you ask me.
Old 07-06-07, 07:52 PM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, you tried a different wheel, with the same results, so it sounds like a frame issue to me. Maybe try installing the wheel to correct for the offset, on the left (non-drive) side? Used to have to do that on the old single speeds/internal hubs.
Old 07-08-07, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion supton, I thought it could be a frame problem too, I didnt want to have to install the wheel to compensate for a frame problem on a new bike.

Another problem i've noticed is the rear brake is rubbing quite hard - enough to slow the wheel down fairly fast. I've wound the outside pad adjuster fully out and it is still rubbing the rotor. Tried another wheel and the same thing happens.

When I apply this brake, I can feel it "pulsing" - like one part of the rotor is grabbing and the other is sliding through. I cant tell if the rotor is warped because I cant see daylight on the outside edge. Could the rotor be a different thickness in one part?

When I bought this up at the bike shop along with the frame problem I was told I must be "going
over the bike with a fine tooth comb".

Scott.
Old 07-08-07, 07:52 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pulling to one side when letting go of the hb's may not be alignment at all. I once had this problem, it was the headset. Was too tight. A mechanic adjusted it for me and no mo prollem!

My tandem seemed to pull to the side at one time, even with my hands on the hb's. Turned out the headset had race and bearing problems. Replaced it with a new headset, No mo prollem!

Lift the front end off the ground. Slowly turn the hb's side to side. Is it rough or do you feel a sticky point? If so, could be the headset, maybe adjustment, maybe a scuky headset. Might be something the shop dudes overtightened!
Old 07-08-07, 08:29 PM
Homey

Are the wheels fully in the dropouts?
Old 07-08-07, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A bike should track straight with your hands off the bars on a level road. The headset may need adjustment, or a wheel may be out of true, or simply not well centered.

Take the bike to the shop, and ask to talk with the manager. Explain the problem. Most good shops will take the time to get the bike exactly right. If THIS shop refuses, take the bike to a better shop to get the work done. And, of course, make your future purchases from that better shop.
Old 07-08-07, 09:15 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The rear wheel is usually closer to one chainstay in order to compensate for wheel dish. Because of the multiple gears/ Not verynoticeable on a 6 speed, but modern cycles have several more gears that need compensation.
Old 07-08-07, 10:06 PM
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
christ on toast, that is AWFUL service. That LBS has a disgusting attitude. Lazy lying sumbeotches.

Have you spoken directly with Giant? Maybe give them an idea of how much their brand is being compromised by service like this.

"...then don't take your hands off"
"...you're going over it with a fine-toothed comb"

It's a NEW bike.

The person you're dealing with needs an almighty boot to the head. That's not just incompetence it's lying.
Old 07-09-07, 08:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for the help,
The headset is smooth and the wheels are true and fully in the dropouts.

Nicodemus, I have tried to speak with Giant, and they have a similar attitude to the shop.
I have to take the bike back when the rep comes and leave it so he can look at it, wont look at it while im there, wont talk to me while im there.

Scott.
Old 07-09-07, 08:51 PM
Homey

I'd friggen return it. Period. If you can.

Get your money back and get the hell outta Dodge.
Old 08-10-07, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
Not sure if this should be in the Mechanics section or here, sorry.

Just an update for anyone who is interested. I took the bike back and left it for the Giant rep to have a look at and was called back that afternoon. As expected the Giant rep said it was fine.

Was also told that I could spend $10,000 on a bike and have the same problem. I was wondering if it is acceptable for a rear wheel on a new bike to have to be adjusted, so it is central, before being clamped tight. On my previous bike, which was stolen , I would just put the wheel fully into the dropouts and tighten the quick release, no messing about required.

I have tried the 'String test' and the frame appears straight so I think the slots in the rear dropouts must be different depths so that when the wheel is inserted fully it sits on an angle.

The rear brake still feels like it is 'pulsing' but it is better than it was now that I have the wheel clamped in central. The rotor dosnt seem warped, any ideas?

Scott.
Old 08-10-07, 07:29 PM
Homey

It looks like you've had the bike for over a month now. How long did they have it? Is it too late to just return it altogether and perhaps get another bike that would suit you better?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-10-07, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Siu Blue Wind, the bike has been back about a dozen times, I think it was too late as soon as I paid for it. I like this bike, I would just like the problems sorted out, but im getting no where.
Old 08-10-07, 08:41 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Mate, forget dealing with the shop, its getting you nowhere. It's time to make a phone call....

Western Australia

Minister: Hon Sheila McHale, MLA, Minister for Consumer Protection

Department of Consumer & Employment Protection
219 St Georges Terrace
Perth WA 6000
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square WA 6850
Phone (08) 9282 0777
General Information & Advice 1300 304 054
Web site: www.docep.wa.gov.au

Be clear about the problem, i.e. the bike is faulty to the point of being unsafe, be clear about the efforts you've made to give theshop a chance to rectify the problem, and be clear about exactly what you want done about it whether it be a full refund or replacement.
Old 08-11-07, 12:55 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wheel is 5mm to far to one side? Have you tried using a washer?
Old 08-13-07, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the help.
Cyclaholic, thanks for that number, I'll give it a go.

I'm sure there was a post here the other day about using a dremel? Cant seem to see it now..
Old 08-14-07, 01:02 AM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by sk0tt
I'm sure there was a post here the other day about using a dremel? Cant seem to see it now..
If you're going to pursue the shop/manufacturer to rectify the problem then DON'T TOUCH IT! or you'll sabotage your case. leave it exactly as it is untill the situation is resolved. If you end up keeping the bike then you can look at the dremel option

Good luck with it, mate. Let us know how you get on.
Old 09-23-07, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an update

I got in contact with consumer protection, sent in the forms and two weeks later, got a call from the person handling the case and was told they spoke to the bike shop and the bike shop told them "I thought it was all sorted out".

I said nothing had been sorted out, and she made some calls and organized an independent frame builder to have a look at the bike. Took the bike in and the guy verified there is a problem with the frame. He said it can be fixed and would also realign the disc caliper mount.

Have to check with consumer protection and Giant to see what to do now.

Scott.
Old 09-23-07, 08:52 PM
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, quick work, here in the states getting any answer would have taken much longer. Glad to see this is being addressed.
Old 09-25-07, 10:31 AM
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like Giant - and your bike shop - is selling FAR too many bikes, and therefore REALLY don't need any further business, or new customers... Pass the word on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.