Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for old Schwinn (pedals and brake levers)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody know a good set of clipless pedals that would fit an old Schwinn? I'm sure most pedals would work but I'm looking for some that have enough area to be used with regular shoes in case I want to ride w/o bike shoes (like in a busy city). My bike is an '85 Schwinn Tempo. I also want to get better brake leavers for it. Right now they have the stock dia compe levers and I would like to put the kind where you can use the lever easier while riding with your hands up top on the bars. Also, I want to be able to run the brake wire under the grip tape. Sorry, I don't know what these type of brake levers are called!! (I'm obviously a newbe) Thanks in advance for everybody's help!

CL
Old 07-05-07, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, what he said. I'm looking for aero-levers & interrupters that won't look out of place on my 1963 continental.
Old 07-05-07, 10:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well... i don't want interrupters, just the regular levers for the drop bars... but aren't the newer levers easier to use with your hands uptop compared to the old one's that are currently on my bike?
Old 07-06-07, 05:24 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
I recently upgraded my '79 Traveler with areo levers which I bought from Loose Screws but also try Nashbar and other places. They are very comfortable.

They are not easy to see, but the clipless pedal I use on a number of my bikes are Shimano 324 SPDs. One side uses SPD clips the other has sort of an old style rat trap-quill hybrid look. I use SPD pedals on all my bikes, this way I don't worry about which shoes to use. For me, clipless pedals are the way to go.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-06-07, 05:34 AM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think Tektro levers would look out of place on your bike.

Old 07-06-07, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! pastorbobnlnh - what brand and model levers are they? Also, if you had regular shoes on, could you ride with those pedals or would it be tough to get a grip?

Mariner fan - what model Tektro did you use? Will I have to use new brake lines or can I use the lines that I currently have (they are pretty much brand new). Thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-07, 08:28 AM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Tektro R200A. Cane Creek's are the same thing.

https://www.tektro.com/02products/08r200a.php

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...=bbbsearch&x=y
Old 07-06-07, 08:33 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
With all due respect, I've yet to see those modern Tektro levers on a vintage machine without stopping to think that they look like a cheap bastardization of a Campagnolo Record 10-speed brifter.

Personally, I would only use aero levers from the '80s on a vintage machine - the majority of them (excluding Shimano, for the most part), have very pleasing, aerodynamic lines to them, as opposed to the "brick 'n wart" Tektros (at least, that's the way I see 'em)

Here are some aero levers on eBay that I find attractive:

https://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-VANGUARD...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/Campy-aero-brake...QQcmdZViewItem

Take care,

-Kurt

Old 07-06-07, 08:50 AM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pastorbob, every time I see those sadle bags I want a pair.
Old 07-06-07, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will basically any brand lever fit my bike? My brakes are dia compe. Also, can I use the brake lines that are currently on my bike? Thats for the responses, now I have a decision to make!
Old 07-06-07, 09:06 AM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
With all due respect, I've yet to see those modern Tektro levers on a vintage machine without stopping to think that they look like a cheap bastardization of a Campagnolo Record 10-speed brifter.

Personally, I would only use aero levers from the '80s on a vintage machine - the majority of them (excluding Shimano, for the most part), have very pleasing, aerodynamic lines to them, as opposed to the "brick 'n wart" Tektros (at least, that's the way I see 'em)

Here are some aero levers on eBay that I find attractive:

https://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-VANGUARD...QQcmdZViewItem

https://cgi.ebay.com/Campy-aero-brake...QQcmdZViewItem

Take care,

-Kurt

Yeah but for you alot of the fun is in the piecing toghether of what you feel is appropriate or period correct. Others just want to ride with what works well. Paying a premium or waiting for months for a deal on what would be classified as a consumable (hoods/Scott Mathauser brake pads etc. wear out quick if you ride alot) is not worth the time lost riding or the extra expense IMHO. Taste is subjective at best.

Also that saddle/bar tape combo with the dork disc on your Trek? Ahem..an example of the subjectiveness of taste in action! (cue SHAFT Theme music) (ducks!)

I will be putting a Shimano XT Rapid Rise rear derailleur, Cane Creek levers and 46cm nitto noodles on my 72' P-15 Chrome Paramount when it is all said and done. Vintage Campy and modern Shimano on one bike, oh the horror!
Old 07-06-07, 09:22 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 aka Kurt the Campy Meister
Kurt, we know you are a young-buck purest at times and that is OK, but give us old dudes with stiff heavy bodies a break. Despite the look of the Tektro, I can tell you that; 1) they work very well (better than the early '80s DiaComps I was using), 2) they are more comfortable to ride than any other lever/hood combination I own, and 3) they're mounted on a lower end '79 Schwinn Approved 10 speed, let's not fret about style.
Originally Posted by ccl127
Will basically any brand lever fit my bike? My brakes are dia compe. Also, can I use the brake lines that are currently on my bike? Thats for the responses, now I have a decision to make!
Those levers should fit your bars. Your cables/casings should work but might not be the correct length any longer since you are routing them under the bar tape. If these are the original cables/casings I'd say it was time to use new ones. I buy most of my cables and casings from https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...id=42137942560
Originally Posted by ccl127
...if you had regular shoes on, could you ride with those pedals or would it be tough to get a grip?
They work just fine with regular sneakers, street shoes, etc. That's the beauty of their versitility.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-06-07, 12:20 PM
59'er

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1

I will be putting a Shimano XT Rapid Rise rear derailleur, Cane Creek levers and 46cm nitto noodles on my 72' P-15 Chrome Paramount when it is all said and done. Vintage Campy and modern Shimano on one bike, oh the horror!

I'm building up an old frame with new parts too! To the purist, it's a bastardization but it won't look that much different and should perform just fine.
Old 07-06-07, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah i agree, I mean my bike is a freakin' Schwinn Tempo, its not like its something thats worth anything! lol Plus I got it to start riding for cheap, so I want to be comfortable. I didn't get it to have an authentic vintage cycle.
Old 07-06-07, 03:07 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Yeah but for you alot of the fun is in the piecing toghether of what you feel is appropriate or period correct. Others just want to ride with what works well. Paying a premium or waiting for months for a deal on what would be classified as a consumable (hoods/Scott Mathauser brake pads etc. wear out quick if you ride alot) is not worth the time lost riding or the extra expense IMHO. Taste is subjective at best.

Also that saddle/bar tape combo with the dork disc on your Trek? Ahem..an example of the subjectiveness of taste in action! (cue SHAFT Theme music) (ducks!)

Well, I've never had much trouble finding nice, used, older aero levers locally (cheap to boot: $5-10), hence why I do not entirely understand the fascination of the Tektros, of which I have yet to see any of the local shops carry with regularity.

The older Shimano SLR and 105s are common enough, both in lever and hood availability, that I don't see the point in using a pair of $35 Tektros, other then for the reason Bob pointed out: comfort. Funny thing though, their appearance has always given me the impression of the antithesis of comfort - I've always preferred a curved top (Dia-Compe's mid-80's Gran Compes, with their sweeping curve, are my personal favorite - the Dia-Compe manufactured Suntour Blaze levers, with a primarily flat surface, the most uncomfortable I have ever used).

I've yet to wear out the Scott-Mathauser Model C pads on my '61 Paramount - they don't seem to wear away that quickly. However, I have found that the finned models (glued-on pads) seem to be the exact opposite - one can eat those up in nearly a week of mild riding. Regardless though, I use the S-M's as I can't find any other block-style pads available these days that give decent performance.

Say what you want about the suede bar tape and saddle, but make no mistake - I dislike the steel Frisbee between my spokes just as much as anyone else. As I intend to re-build the wheels, I figure there's no point in taking it off until necessary, eh?

As for your Paramount setup with reverse-action RD...will it have a dork disk?

-Kurt

Old 07-06-07, 03:23 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kurt, we know you are a young-buck purest at times and that is OK, but give us old dudes with stiff heavy bodies a break. Despite the look of the Tektro, I can tell you that; 1) they work very well (better than the early '80s DiaComps I was using), 2) they are more comfortable to ride than any other lever/hood combination I own, and 3) they're mounted on a lower end '79 Schwinn Approved 10 speed, let's not fret about style.
Purist, shmurist - I'll just as soon put aero levers with top-bar interrupters on a 1960 Cinelli - while I do appreciate purity and originality, I do make exceptions - comfort being one of them.

Regardless though, I'm still a stickler for style, and that's where I clash with the Tektros - to me, the actual levers look like someone hammered the lower section into shape, while the hood shape looks like a brick jutting from the handlebars. But then again, that's only my perception of it. The bag on your Traveler does give the front end nice, uniform appearance though.

I've received excellent performance from the Dia-Compe AGC's from the '80s, but, as I said in my previous post, the Dia-Compe model incorporated into Suntour's Blaze group is far from satisfactory - not just comfortwise, but performance-wise. My Trek 728 uses them; getting the bike to stop quickly is by no means a piece of cake. Now, with Scott-Mathauser pads...

-Kurt

Old 07-06-07, 08:00 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
As for your Paramount setup with reverse-action RD...will it have a dork disk?

-Kurt[/QUOTE]

Just a dork on it!
Old 07-06-07, 08:11 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Just a dork on it!
I've got you beat then: Trek = dork disk + dork rider

P.S.: Took that thing out for a spin today. Can't imagine how anyone can stand that factory gear setup with 52/42 up front and a 15/17/19/23(?)/26. Triple steps between cogs, and none of them in either the 52t or 42t combo gave me any nice flat terrain gears (and for that matter, I don't see a good cog range for hillclimbing either, unless you're running crossover-type triple with a rather odd ring setup). Heck, my Paramount in the 51t ring with a 14-16-18-20-24 freewheel gives me far better ratios then that thing on it now.

Anyone interested in a chitload of wide-range 5 speed FWs? Got a bunch of em. LBS even has one of those crazy Suntour wide-range 5's with a skiptooth pattern on the two largest cogs.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-06-07 at 08:19 PM.