Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me remember my childhood hand me down. Pierce-Arrow?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Growing up in queens NY my brother had bought a bike that I inherited when I was big enough to ride it. It was probably 1968-69 or 70 when he bought it. I probably glommed it around 75.

I remember the model, it was a tour de france and it was a 15 speed and brooks type saddle. I keep thinking the make was Pierce-Arrow, but, I'm not sure. I can't seem to substantiate that Pierce-Arrow made early boom road bikes. Maybe it was something else rebadged.

It was sky blue, shifters on the down tube, triple up front, wing nuts clamping the tires, Weinmann center pulls, no suicide levers. That's the only details I recall. I can't ask my brother, he's not with us anymore.

I flunked google too.

Anyone?
Old 07-05-07, 09:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm such a dope. I didn't search here.

Duh!
Old 07-06-07, 10:40 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
I don't think Pierce Arrow sounds right. Gitane perhaps?

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 07-06-07, 08:59 PM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by King of Kadence
Growing up in queens NY my brother had bought a bike that I inherited when I was big enough to ride it. It was probably 1968-69 or 70 when he bought it. I probably glommed it around 75.

I remember the model, it was a tour de france and it was a 15 speed and brooks type saddle. I keep thinking the make was Pierce-Arrow, but, I'm not sure. I can't seem to substantiate that Pierce-Arrow made early boom road bikes. Maybe it was something else rebadged.

It was sky blue, shifters on the down tube, triple up front, wing nuts clamping the tires, Weinmann center pulls, no suicide levers. That's the only details I recall. I can't ask my brother, he's not with us anymore.

I flunked google too.

Anyone?

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN , BESIDES FINE AUTOMOBILES , PIERCE-ARROW , STARTED OUT MANUFACTURING

BIRD CAGES ! (IN BUFALO NY) ...... MY LATE UNCLE OWNED ONE . ( THE AUTO , NOT THE BIRD CAGE ! )

( WELL , maybe one , birdcage )

REGARDS,
J T
Old 07-06-07, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I googled different combinations of Pierce Arrow Tour De France and found another mention of that model on the web. It had to have been a short lived rebadging of another brand of bike.
Old 10-27-07, 08:02 PM
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds a bit like what I have now. Ten speed bike with steel frame, no tubing grade label, only lugged at the headtube, tapered chainstays. Headtube lugs have a stylized "M" superimposed over an ellipse. Chrome fork crown has "M" cutouts on the sides. Paint is blue, decals white, small "Made in France" decal on toptube near stem.
Double chainring, Nervar cottered cranks, Simplex FD, Huret Allvit RD, Suntour downtube shifters, Pivo stem, Weinmann Vainqueur 999 brakes, Weinmann levers with no suicides. Normandy hubs, steel rims.

I've never had anything quite like it. The "M"s have me wondering and speculating. Educated guesses from those more informed than myself would be welcome.
Old 05-23-10, 11:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! I still ride my five-speed Pierce Arrow Tour de France and am fifty-seven years young!! It was a gift to me on my sixteenth birthday for Christmas and will never forget it! languishing for years in my parent's basement, a sports injury compelled me to ride a stationary bike to rehab, well I thought, why not get my old Pierce Arrow and bring it to wher I lived. Long story short, i put it in a good bike shot, replacecd the front fork, tries, (I had added center pull brakes as a teenager to it), cables and i still have original shifter on the low bar plus the orig italian-made brake levers. The frame is solid! I have replaced the frone laarge sproket and pedals with clamp-in pedals and the deraileur, but it still says a slightly subbed-out "Tour de France" and I have the orig front Pierce Arrow emblem!
Old 04-17-17, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father in law's pierce arrow/tour de France is in my garage

If you email me at mcevoykeith@hotmail.com, I'll send you a picture.

I flunked google too.

Anyone?
Old 09-02-23, 06:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I still have this bike.

I just found this 15 year old thread. I still have my 1970 Pierce Arrow Tour de France. It is in great shape and the only thing I just changed was going from a drop down handle bar to an upright bar which means I had to get brake handles and new cables. It was called Tour de France but that label is long gone. It's incredibly durable and was a fast bike in its day. I did change the seat a couple of years ago. I was going to sell it but thought to just make some changes instead. OF course the tires have been changed a couple of times but the gear shifts have not been touched and still work great. I am not allowed to post a photo...oh well.

I flunked google too.

Anyone?
Old 01-01-24, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pierce Arrow

I flunked google too.

Anyone?
I am very familiar with the Pierce Arrow bike. I had 2 of them growing up in Queens in the 80s. They were poplar in my neighborhood. Belites bike shop on Jamaica Ave sold them.
Old 01-05-24, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatTop
Sounds a bit like what I have now. Ten speed bike with steel frame, no tubing grade label, only lugged at the headtube, tapered chainstays. Headtube lugs have a stylized "M" superimposed over an ellipse. Chrome fork crown has "M" cutouts on the sides. Paint is blue, decals white, small "Made in France" decal on toptube near stem.
Double chainring, Nervar cottered cranks, Simplex FD, Huret Allvit RD, Suntour downtube shifters, Pivo stem, Weinmann Vainqueur 999 brakes, Weinmann levers with no suicides. Normandy hubs, steel rims.

I've never had anything quite like it. The "M"s have me wondering and speculating. Educated guesses from those more informed than myself would be welcome.
-----

your machine a Motobecane product

the chrome fork crown cap is something which was fitted also to their products which had non-Motobecane badging such as Astra, Orly, Dynamax, Monfort, Motoconfort, etc.

the crown itself. beneath the cap, is NERVEX pattern Nr. 4

the frame's seat cluster & bottom bracket shell are lugless
the shell is CH threaded

the manufacturer's use of this frame construction was current in the 1960's and very early 1970's

they as well contract produced cycles for department store chains such as Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Ward

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-05-24 at 10:28 AM. Reason: addition