Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Love to ride - sitting in front of a computer all day

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 11:47 AM
mtbrox

Bikes: Trek & Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been an avid cyclist since I was a young boy. As a teenager, my best friend and I rode everywhere. I grew up in Bloomington, Indiana and went to many Little 5 races. I was on a team my freshman year and we finished 3rd. I didn't get to ride in the race because I got sick. My biggest lifetime regret is that I never rode in a race. I rode in several century rides when I lived in North Carolina - finished one. That was one of the monumental moments in my life, along with riding across Alligator Alley in South Florida. Got my first mountain bike when I lived in Florida (kind of ironic). I love to ride but don't do it much anymore. I publish and develop websites as well as do some counseling at IU. Started some Mountain Biking sites just so I could get more involved in it again. I have started riding more and plan to increase that as I enter the second half-century of my young life. Look forward to getting to know some of you better. Take care.
Old 07-06-07, 11:56 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Jay, it's too bad about your unfinished goals, but perhaps you could start this half of your life by vowing to finish a double century .

Do you have a bike, or are you looking?

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 07-06-07, 01:34 PM
mtbrox

Bikes: Trek & Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, East Hill. WOW - a double century! That is a big stretch. My brother now lives in the Denver area and he tried to get me to do the Triple Bypass (I think that is the name). I am so far away from that, it is scary. I started getting on the rollers this past winter and am really wanting to get back into it. The thing I am noticing as I get older is that it does not mess my knees up like soccer or basketball. I can recover faster too! I have two bikes - an old Trek 600 and a Specialized Sport Rock 3000. I would love to get a full-suspension bike but I am not going to start looking until I prove to myself that I am going to keep riding consistently. There are some nice trails around here but some are too rough for my Specialized.
Old 07-06-07, 07:55 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You've discovered what many other people have--running, soccer, basketball are all great sports, but hard on the knees once one is past the age of 45 or so...and cycling is a great way to keep up one's fitness and have fun at the same time.

How old is your Trek 600? There's a thread for vintage mountain bikes in the Classic & Vintage forum if you'd be up to showing us some photos .

East Hill
Old 07-07-07, 07:54 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hoosiermtb
I have started riding more and plan to increase that as I enter the second half-century of my young life.
Good for you! Cycling is a sport that one can do (even well!) very late into life. I'm planning on riding until I fall off my machine! Welcome!

... Brad