Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

numb finger = weak core?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 03:13 PM

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Venture 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
numb finger = weak core?

Since a "long" (5-6 mile/40 minute/pretty intense effort) ride the other week, I've had numbness in the tip of my left ring finger, whenever I ride. It mostly gets better between rides, and I've read that this can happen from nerve compression/leaning too hard on the handlebars, so I'm trying to figure out how to not do that.

I've had to raise my seat to the point that it's level with the handlebars - about 4" of seatpost showing on my Raleigh Venture. Will raising the handlebars help? I'm also practicing riding one-handed, in hopes that doing so will force me to strengthen my core muscles, which I'd think will also help.

Does anyone else have experience with this? What did you do to solve it?
Old 07-06-07, 03:20 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like you are crammed in the cockpit. Try sliding your seat back on the rails, or tipping your handlebars forward. You may also want to purchase bar-ends to give you more grip options.

My hands get numb also. I am always changing positions to keep them comfortable.

I do NOT recommend riding one-handed. Things happen so quickly...
Old 07-06-07, 03:21 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Possibly, Becky. It's not the only one though.

I see your bike has an adjustable stem, so I'd try to bring it up a little bit. Padded gloves will also help, if you aren't already using them.

Also, remember to shake out your hands every so often to restore circulation, and maybe some bar ends or trekking bars for more hand positions?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-06-07, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - I'm not sure "crammed in" is the problem - I actually feel like I'm having to reach for the handlebars, now, and my elbows are nearly straight. It's good to hear this is a very fix-able problem, though. I'd hate to do my hands any permanent damage!

You're probably right about one-handed, 51. No worries, I've only done it when going slow on a nice, newly paved multi-purpose trail.

Tom, good ideas - I didn't know those were a possibility on a bike like mine. Looks like I'll be going to my LBS soon... needed some adjustments, anyway
Old 07-06-07, 03:38 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BeckyW
Thanks - I'm not sure "crammed in" is the problem - I actually feel like I'm having to reach for the handlebars, now, and my elbows are nearly straight. It's good to hear this is a very fix-able problem, though. I'd hate to do my hands any permanent damage!
OK, if you are having to stretch, then slide the saddle forward on the rail mount a bit and definitely raise that adjustable stem. Don't forget to rotate the handlebars to a comfortable position because when you adjust the stem, it will change the HB angle as well.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-06-07, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Tom. I'll try that. The good news about all this is, now that my seat's finally high enough, I feel like I have twice the power I had before!
Old 07-06-07, 03:59 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
"The good news about all this is, now that my seat's finally high enough, I feel like I have twice the power I had before!"
It's amazing what even minor adjusts will do! Easier on the knees too.
Old 07-06-07, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep adjusting and wear some heavily padded gloves. But there still might be some conditioning needed before the pain completely goes away. Best of luck.
Old 07-06-07, 05:58 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely consider bar ends. My first bike was a comfort and I never fully got rid of occasional finger numbness. Once I put on bar ends (sometimes called bull horns) for more hand positions, the problem significantly decreased.
Old 07-06-07, 06:04 PM
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have similar problems. 2 weeks ago I did a 110 mile ride. I still do not have complete feeling in my left pinky. I use padded gloves but no adjustable handlebar. I sometimes ride one handed just for that reason. My middle toes on both feet were numb as well after the long ride but all is well with them. My finger is starting to worry me. I had a fit done at the lbs, the day before the ride. Let me know if you find the thing that works.

btw
I am in Russellville, I am planning on the tour de cure this fall in NW ark, maybe we will get a chance to say "Hi"
Old 07-06-07, 06:08 PM
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you wearing a ring/rings? I haven't found it too bad for cycling but had some serious problems with finger pain playing golf in my wedding ring. just a thought.

x
Old 07-06-07, 06:26 PM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nerves and feeling usually come back. Once I was drilling a 1/8 inch dia. hole in some auto body sheet metal. The bit broke and the jagged remainder in the drill went through my thumb nail and out the other side of my thumb. (It sounds worse than it really was.) It was at least ten years before feeling came back to part of the tip of that thumb. In your case, you probably just pinched a nerve.
Old 07-06-07, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you are at the LBS you might want to ask for a fit. I was experiencing wrist pain when I first got my bike. I, like you, also felt that I was reaching for the handlebars and then also putting too much weight on my hands. What fixed it was actually sliding my seat BACK on the rails and swapping out for a LONGER stem. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I do know that it is now much easier to put less weight on my hands than it was before.
Old 07-06-07, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all, lots of good advice here. I'm definitely going to ask my LBS to at least watch me ride a bit, to see if they have any other recommendations for adjustments. I'm totally ignorant about bar ends, and what they'll do to how I sit/ride, but it sounds like they're definitely worth a shot. I hope to "graduate" to a road bike in a year or so, once I've lost some weight and built up some strength, so maybe they'll help with training for that?

b_young, I had thought the Tour de Cure was more of a distance event, but just looked and saw that there's a 10 mile route... I may just register for that! Surely I can add 4 miles between now and October. Feel free to email me to get in touch.
Old 07-06-07, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Becky, if you ride frequently, I'm sure you'll add 4 miles in a couple weeks ;-)
Old 07-06-07, 07:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Ergon brand handle grips, they are specifically designed to reduce numbess when cycling.

https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/grip_ergonomics.html
Old 07-06-07, 08:12 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had numbness problems with my MTB. The things that helped were:
bar ends
ergon grips
riser bars
riser stem
ironman gloves

The ironman gloves had helped with a case I had with my road bike. I also added aerobars.
Old 07-06-07, 08:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 miles in a couple weeks is probably right! I ride 4-6 times a week, varying from 3-6 miles, right now (walking too). That's up from ZERO, five weeks ago, and I've been consistently amazed at how easy it is to increase distance, and getting my bike fitting properly should let me improve that much faster!

I'm going to my LBS tomorrow, I imagine I'll make one or two of these changes at a time, in the interest of saving money. I imagine it'll be raising the handlebars a bit and any other bike adjustments, probably some gloves (should have those anyway), and possibly bar ends.

Edit: just had a look at the Ergon grips - those look fantastic! Thanks!
Old 07-06-07, 08:39 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winter76
Check out Ergon brand handle grips, they are specifically designed to reduce numbess when cycling.

https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/grip_ergonomics.html
Those are sweet I gotta get a set of those.
Old 07-06-07, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ergon grips have really helped me. It used to be any ride longer than 5miles/8km and my wrists would start hurting and my hands would be numb so I'd have to keep sitting back and shake my hands until the feeling came back. With the Ergon grips I'm good for 12.5 miles/20km before any pain starts and so far no numbess.
Old 07-06-07, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bikes: 06 K2 Mach 2.0 (105 Grouppo), 04 Something Rambler Hardtail (Deore/Deore XT), 03 Nirve DSX-1 (Suntour/Deore/Deore LX)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same problem on my MTB and road bikes, but in my case due to nerve damage on my upper arm. The things that help me most are:

* Bar ends on MTB, drops on Road (moving my hands often)
* Padded gloves
* Exercising the numb hand (stretch, etc during your ride, WELL before it goes numb).
* Less weight on the wrist
Old 07-08-07, 07:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my RB. I adjusted everything except foward/aft position of the saddle. Contrary to conventional wisdom, moving the seat BACKWARDS reduces the weight on hands/arms/wrists. By moving your body's center of gravity further back (behind the crank) even by just an inch or so, dramatically shifts weight off your hands. I moved my seat back as far as it could go, and the numbness went away.

You'll need a friend to hold the bike up, or set it on a wind trainer. Sit on your bike with your hands on the handlebars and the crank arms horizontal. If you have a drop bar, hold the bar out on the brake hoods. Try taking your hands off the bar without moving your torso. If it's a strain to hold your torso in that same position, that's an indication of the work your arms are doing to hold you up.
That quote is from https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm, where has a great writeup on the importance of fore/aft positioning of the seat (among other things). This may be old new to everyone, but I was blown away by the comfort difference.
Old 07-08-07, 07:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice - I have at least an improvement, and possibly some of the problems solved! Got Ergon grips, gloves, and raised my handlebars (the nice guy at my LBS did it for me), also got a computer and a few other odds and ends. Did a little test ride and felt a huge difference, so I'm really looking forward to riding again!

I sadly had to take today off from biking, so I couldn't try out my new toys. Before I went in yesterday, I went for a ride, just in case they had to keep it a day or two, and ended up going 7 miles, which is a new personal best! One of my knees hurt a bit (front of knee, above kneecap) - LBS thinks it might be my foot position on the pedal, which has been a bit too far outside. I think I'll be ok for at least a short-ish ride tomorrow, so I can enjoy the improved upper-body fit/comfort, and concentrate a bit more on my form/foot position.
Old 07-08-07, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erkme73
Contrary to conventional wisdom, moving the seat BACKWARDS reduces the weight on hands/arms/wrists. By moving your body's center of gravity further back (behind the crank) even by just an inch or so, dramatically shifts weight off your hands. I moved my seat back as far as it could go, and the numbness went away.

That quote is from https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm, where has a great writeup on the importance of fore/aft positioning of the seat (among other things). This may be old new to everyone, but I was blown away by the comfort difference.
I've got my saddle back as far as it'll go - I guess a comfort bike is just designed for a more upright position, not the leaning-forward position I had it in? I've already decided that my next bike is gonna be a road bike that FITS. I think that'll be my "100 lbs lost" present to myself, hopefully sometime next spring/early summer.