Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

right knee trouble

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

right knee trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.6 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right knee trouble

(I tried posting this on road cycling but got no response, maybe here I'll find a more sympathetic ear)

Pretty new to cycling, been commuting 7 mi r/t since March and plenty of extra miles on weekends, club rides, organized metrics etc... Maybe 100+ miles/wk depending on things. I also have a slight left leg length discreopency in the order of 1/2"+ or so due to an old injury, said injury also affected the overall strength of my left leg and you could tell pretty easy by looking at it.

Since I've been cycling this leg has improved a lot and no longer feels like a bystander - this is a good thing! It was also helped by adding about 1/4" of "leWedge" to my left shoe cleat (I use light action speedplays) In fact I feel my left leg is "dialed in" perfectly. It is the little engine that could, just pumping along in perfect rhythm.

However, I think my right leg is pissed off with all the attention its weaker brother is getting and is now rebelling! I've begun to feel a low level of knee pain on my right leg coupled with a slight cramping of the lower thigh muscles. This only starts to hurt to any significant degree on long rides, 30+ miles or more, but I can feel it "there" most of the time. I've also noticed a tendency for my right heel to rise and toes point down during the down stroke. The knee itself seems to make a little wobble pattern at the top of the stroke unlike the left leg which is more straight up and down. I make a conscious effort to stop the wobble and push my heel down but I'm perplexed as to what's going on. I have a very long ride coming up and I'd like to understand what I'm doing wrong or if I have my bike fit wrong - if so where?
Old 07-11-07, 07:53 AM
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a bit of trouble with my left knee, with pain both on the outer side and within the joint, although my right knee has never complained (apart from routine aches here and there).

I found that my left knee wasn't aligning properly during the pedal stroke, so my left kneecap was pointing inwards towards the frame, leading to problems associated with misalignment of the tendons and ligaments. After adjusting my cleat position and using some of the shims from Specialized to adjust the angle of the sole of my foot, these problems have totally cleared up.

YMMV, but perhaps check to make sure that your knee is aligning properly through the stroke, and also keep an eye on how extended your right leg is at the bottom of the stroke, as having a shim in the left shoe has probably altered the relative leg lengths on the bike, leading to your right knee straightening too far.

As always: If pain persists, consult your doctor.

Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is to be held back by your damn knees.