Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I am officially in love with my LBS

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I went on my longest ride (12 mi) and also with the biggest climb. About 2 miles after I got started and about half a mile down a low traffic road before the lake with the big climb, my chain slips off. It also managed to find its way under everything too and I could not for the life of me get it out. I sat there for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. After just about giving up and psyching myself up for the long walk home, the ENTIRE staff of LBS rolls up. It's only eight people, but it is still my LBS to the rescue. After about 30 seconds and some rigorous tugging, they have my chain free. I thank everyone nearby and head of my way, down a big hill, only to go up a bigger one. I thought that the LBS folks would keep going the direction they were heading, but no; they turned around and caught up with me again on the downhill. I was able to keep up for maybe a quarter mile (since it was downhill ) and then the big hill hit again. They asked me once again if everything was allright before they headed off and then I was left to tackle the climb.

Now, I'm sure that almost any other cyclist would have stopped and helped, but it was just fitting that the people that I bought my bike from should show up when I need them most. Thanks guys.
Old 07-07-07, 05:49 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lucky you. I'm just curious, how did the chain slip off in the first place? Do you have a single speed, or a multiple speed bike? I hope to avoid ever losing my chain.

Thanks
Old 07-07-07, 05:52 PM
Undrafted free-agent.

Bikes: 2005 Jamis Satellite w/ 105/Ultegra, Motobecane Fantom Cross Fixed, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring that new bike back to the LBS and ask them to adjust the limit screws on your derailleurs.
Old 07-07-07, 06:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a triple and it slipped off as I was downshifting and trying to power up a hill. I really think it was a freak accident.

But don't worry, I'm bringing it to the LBS tomorrow. They do free maintenance for 6 months. Another reason I love these guys.
Old 07-07-07, 06:44 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by JoeMetal
I have a triple and it slipped off as I was downshifting and trying to power up a hill. I really think it was a freak accident.

But don't worry, I'm bringing it to the LBS tomorrow. They do free maintenance for 6 months. Another reason I love these guys.
Triples are prone to 'chain suck' or 'cross-chaining', which usually can be avoided by not hammering on the pedals when shifting, staying away from some gear combinations, and keeping your chain from getting gunky.

Old 07-07-07, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by jbmadtown
Bring that new bike back to the LBS and ask them to adjust the limit screws on your derailleurs.
No kidding. I've got to think you still have the dork disc installed otherwise you might be getting a new back wheel as well if it got caught in your spokes. While some of those disc are big and ugly, read Cannondale, I leave mine on as I rather it look dorky that take a hit on my wheel. Glad you did not get hurt and their was no damage done.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 07-07-07 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 07:08 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by JoeMetal
Today I went on my longest ride (12 mi) and also with the biggest climb. About 2 miles after I got started and about half a mile down a low traffic road before the lake with the big climb, my chain slips off. It also managed to find its way under everything too and I could not for the life of me get it out. I sat there for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. After just about giving up and psyching myself up for the long walk home, the ENTIRE staff of LBS rolls up. It's only eight people, but it is still my LBS to the rescue. After about 30 seconds and some rigorous tugging, they have my chain free. I thank everyone nearby and head of my way, down a big hill, only to go up a bigger one. I thought that the LBS folks would keep going the direction they were heading, but no; they turned around and caught up with me again on the downhill. I was able to keep up for maybe a quarter mile (since it was downhill ) and then the big hill hit again. They asked me once again if everything was allright before they headed off and then I was left to tackle the climb.

Now, I'm sure that almost any other cyclist would have stopped and helped, but it was just fitting that the people that I bought my bike from should show up when I need them most. Thanks guys.
I'm in love with my bike shop too. The first time I rode a bike in my life was December 23, 2006, in the shop parking lot. One of the mechanics gave me a quick lesson in braking. He shouted "Brake!" whenever I was going to crash into the fence.

Old 07-07-07, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
No kidding. I've got to think to still have the dork disc installed otherwise you might be getting a new back wheel as well if it got caught in your spokes. While some of those disc are big and ugly, read Cannondale, I leave mine on as I rather it look dorky that take a hit on my wheel. Glad you did not get hurt and their was no damage done.
The absolutely best dork disk I have every seen, was on my 1976 SEKINE, it was chromed steel, and had the company name cut out, man, that sucker looked nice. You actually wanted it there.

These ugly plastic things that turn yellow and cloudy a week after the bike gets home, with the spoke holders broken off a week (so when you stop it keeps spinning wheeeee-eeee-eee-ee-e) after that, before it totally decomposes who needs 'em. A nice steel or aluminum one, would work and look nice as well, could be painted the colour of the bike with a nice logo decal on it, make them look nice. Heck even a plain black disk would work.
Old 07-07-07, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
(so when you stop it keeps spinning wheeeee-eeee-eee-ee-e) after that

Old 07-07-07, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my LBS threw in LIFETIME maintenance for free I was instantly in love

And yes they have been around for over 30 years so they can stand behind that too
Old 07-07-07, 07:57 PM
half fast

Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I want to know is how to get your LBS staff to turn out just when you need them. Bike-Star?