Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you every talk yourself out of riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 02:19 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After our morning dog walk, I really didn't feel like climbing on the bike, knowing it was going to be another hot day. It doesn't take much to talk myself out of riding, so instead I just laid on the bed for about 15 minutes, then walked out into the back yard and sat with the dogs for a few minutes. Finally I decided it might just stay overcast a little longer today and hopefully not be as hot. Went back in the house and got my bike, told my husband I wouldn't be long. As soon as I rolled down the street, I was loving it. Took a route I hadn't taken in quite a while and I knew there would be very little traffic. I ended up staying out longer then I expected and had a wonderful time, really glad I went.
I know most of you find any excuse to get on the bike. Hopefully when I retire at the end of the month I will feel more like jumping on the bike, knowing I can go around 8 or 9 am (I'm a morning person). Any suggestions for getting me more motivated?
Old 07-08-07, 02:26 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
I know most of you find any excuse to get on the bike. Hopefully when I retire at the end of the month I will feel more like jumping on the bike, knowing I can go around 8 or 9 am (I'm a morning person). Any suggestions for getting me more motivated?
I find I'm more likely to ride if it's a club ride or some other organized ride event. It's hard to talk myself out of a ride if I've promised someone else I'll be riding.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-08-07, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. Today I got up and weighted and my weight was 7 pounds up from yesterday. I felt like death warmed over and my ring was tight on my finger. I went back to bed and slept for another 3 hours. It was raining and I decided that I would go ahead and ride. I told my wife that I was going on my 35 mile route and she said why don't you take the day off. Since things did not feel right and it is the ending day of the 4th of July celebration, I thought that maybe things were telling me to stay a home and not become road kill or something worse. I chickened out and got on the recumbent exercise bike and did an hour of exercise. My heart rate would only stay around 90 and I thought that I was really hitting it hard. I don't know how things would have been on the road but tomorrow is another day.
Old 07-08-07, 02:48 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
After our morning dog walk, I really didn't feel like climbing on the bike, knowing it was going to be another hot day. It doesn't take much to talk myself out of riding, so instead I just laid on the bed for about 15 minutes, then walked out into the back yard and sat with the dogs for a few minutes. Finally I decided it might just stay overcast a little longer today and hopefully not be as hot. Went back in the house and got my bike, told my husband I wouldn't be long. As soon as I rolled down the street, I was loving it. Took a route I hadn't taken in quite a while and I knew there would be very little traffic. I ended up staying out longer then I expected and had a wonderful time, really glad I went.
Well, let's start with the morning person thing....plan to finish at 8 or 9 rather than start then, i.e. start at 6 before you realize what is going on......

Remember that "I was loving it" feeling.

+1 on Beverly's idea of groups or even get a regular riding companion who depends on your being there.

Find a really good bakery, coffee shop, pastry place a few miles away and use that to motivate you to start. Once you start, you will be on your way.....

Finally, use the Jewish or Catholic approach...guilt yourself into it.
Old 07-08-07, 02:50 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't care for riding with a big group, I always get dropped. A couple of my riding friends have been on vacation in PA for 3 weeks, so hopefully when they get back we can go for a ride, I always like that. I love riding our tandem too, but my Captain (husband) is out of commission with a broken arm for the next 8 weeks. I'm hoping retirement will really do it for me and make me want to ride a little more. I only have about 1380 miles so far this year.
Old 07-08-07, 03:03 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't talk myself out of riding. My body does. Today, it told me I needed a day off to let my legs rest.
Old 07-08-07, 06:26 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I argue with myself before each ride over 15 miles, but I always lose the argument. I need to work on that.
Old 07-08-07, 07:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Guilty. I've been looking forward all week to riding today after my week of indentured servitude in NOLA. But this morning I decided to sit around watching the Le Tour on TV and get a start on 3 people times 6 days worth of laundry from the trip. Later it rained a little and my feet were swollen, so I made it an idle day. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-08-07, 07:46 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a newbie, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to feel that way. I thought a "real" cyclist wouldn't ever think twice.

That said..... I am trying to train myself to overcome reluctance, especially based on fear (cars, what-if scenarios) and "just do it". Another trick I use is to set a goal of riding X times/week, so I get motivated to try to meet that goal.

My vacation is over today and I will need to exert extra pressure on myself to start riding in the evenings after work.... it's easier to do in the morning and then my whole day is free.
Old 07-08-07, 07:53 PM
pedalhard

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I ride to work 20k's one way 5 days a week plus big rides on weekends,and yes sometimes I just cannot face a ride.So I take a day off because there is tomorrow.

Old 07-09-07, 01:16 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go back and forth as well, however, I almost always get guilty when I decide not to ride and end up going. The big thing that helps me is that I ride with a partner 90% of the time. It is very unusual for both of us not to be in the mood so when one feels like not riding there is external incentive to get out there.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-09-07, 01:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never talk myself out of a ride but there are days when I just wish I was not going out today. Ride time is limited for me so if its Sunday its a ride. Even if I do not feel like it- I get the bike out- just for a 5 mile spin but always take the phone and £10 for when I get hungry after 30 miles and need a breakfast.

No matter how much i do not want to ride- 5 minutes on the bike and I don't want to go home for the rest of the morning.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-09-07, 02:33 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Yup, back in Oct 97 I had one of those days...

got back on the bike though... was April 2005...

yust call me Rip Van Pedal
Old 07-09-07, 02:39 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most of my riding is commuting. Last time I talked myself out of riding was one morning when I couldn't seem to coast downhill from home and when I hit the flats each block was excruciating. I didn't think I'd be very productive so I turned around. Got back home and crawled into bed for most of the day.
Old 07-09-07, 02:41 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely talk myself OUT of riding, but I do talk TO myself WHILE riding.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-09-07, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
Finally, use the Jewish or Catholic approach...guilt yourself into it.
Isn't that also the Irish approach? Plus, you could always call Mom and have her help you pack your bags for the guilt trip.
Old 07-10-07, 09:24 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I try to talk myself out of riding but rarely succeed.
Old 07-10-07, 04:58 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I tried to talk myself out of riding. For some unknown reason, my ride 2 days ago left me sore and I took yesterday off. I woke up late, and sore, and the wind was gusting to 50 mph. I'm up north on the southern tip of a huge* lake right now, and not only was this wind coming 9:00, but there was a second* direction of wind coming from the lake at 1:00.

I start going, and I'm on my old 10 speed and I'm starting out* in the 3rd easiest gear. I'm doing OK, even making it up hills until I turn and meet the wind head on. I swear* the wind once blew me backwards on the bike.

I make it 3.5 miles and then quit, when I find I'm barely moving, like the witch in the Wizard of Oz. I have a very fast, fun ride back, and then ate everything* in the cabin and took a 5-1/2 hour nap! If I would have had a job come in, it would not have been pretty.

I don't feel so sore now, though, after the nap.
Old 07-10-07, 05:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coworker/riding buddy and I got up at 6:00. We had a day enroute to a business destination, and were going to ride. Went to the motel lobby for the free fruit and waffles- the tree in the parking lot was bent ober at about 45 degrees, and it was spitting rain/snow, and about 40 degrees. I finsihed eating, and he came in. "Ready to go?" he asked. "Are you freaking crazy?" I said, "you seriously don't wan tot try to ride in this?". Well, he talked me into going up to drive the route, to see how shletered from the wind it would be. We had plenty of warm clothing, and there was no rain in the forcast. So we went to check it out, and decided to ride. Was one of the best/most memorable rides of my short biking life- the first 20 miles of Skyline Drive Front Royal to Little Hogback and back. Most of it was pretty sheltered, but on the corners and overlooks, the 50 mph gusts would almost knock you over. At one point, we were standing up, pedaling as hard as we could to keep moving, DOWNHILL. It truly was a great ride, as it was our first experience with real hills. Took us three hours up, one hour down. I'll never let weather scare me off a ride again.