Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road-Hybrid-Touring recommendation??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I am looking to buy a bike for Fitness purposes and need advice. I ride 20-30 miles 3 to 4 times a week and occassionally up to 60 miles. I currently am riding a $200 Mountain bike with fat slicks. The bike is heavy and the lack of hand positions hurts my hands on longer rides and later in riding season. I ride on asphalt trails and roads which are not always smooth so strong rims are essential. As well I don't want to kill my back by being bent over too much + I want to see around me not just the asphalt beneath me, nor do I want to rattle my bones on 700x23 tires(I think 700x28 would be fine) so a balance of comfort (perhaps carbon forks & seatpost) and speed (I like going fast and I like climbing hills so its gotta do those things well) I would prefer to buy used (not too old) with decent durable components (like Shimano 105's) and am looking to spend around $500-700 on it. Any suggestions on A) Brands/Models & years?
B) where to look to get the best deals? (I could buy in Canada or the US)
Old 07-24-07, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping this because I need the same thing.
Old 07-24-07, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look at a touring bike like a Fuji Touring or a Co-Motion Americano or a something verstile like a Schwinn Super Sport DBX. There are many others, but you want something rugged but with a more relaxed/comfortable geometry that can handle most road/paved trail conditions. Should test ride or rent whatever bike you are interested in before making a decision. Some bikes just fit better or feel like they would perform better for the road conditions in your area.
Old 07-24-07, 07:02 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can look for used on craigslist or ebay or a closeout on a previous years' model at your LBS.

Carbon forks and seat posts won't get you any comfort (beyond the placebo effect), but a carbon fork will save you some weight. A carbon seat post probably won't weigh any less than a good aluminum one.

Look at Surly's Cross Check or Long Haul Trucker on the heavier side of the spectrum or maybe a Soma Double Cross or Trek X0-1. A Bianchi Volpe might also work for you. If you look at the new comfort road style bikes like Trek Pilots, check on tire clearance.

Basically, you've got to test ride some bikes.
Old 07-24-07, 07:20 PM
fitness rider

Bikes: 1997 Trek 720 / 2008 Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm much the same profile as you. I just bought a 2008 Trek 7.6 FX. Looked seriously as a Sirrus Pro, but the '08s (they were out of my size in '07s) are going to jump to $2000 from @$1250 with an all-carbon frame. The '08 7.6 FX has a carbon fork, seat stay, and seat post -- same as the Sirrus Pro. 105's front and back. 28mm smoth tires. for $950. Been riding a 34-pound '97 Trek 720 since it was new. The new machine will (it's on order) weigh about 10 pounds less. I was amazed when I tested it. Will let you know.
Old 07-24-07, 08:12 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest looking at a comfort road bike such as a Raleigh Cadent or Trek Pilot. The Giant OSR has a more relaxed geometry, but the tire size may be an issue to you.
Old 07-25-07, 06:49 AM

Bikes: 06 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 06 Bianchi Volpe and can recommend it as a good all around bike. Touring/cross geometry is more relaxed than racing and would work fine for what you do. Swap out the stock tires for narrower slicks and you will have a fun recreational or commuter bike. You don't need 105 to have a good ride and the rear cassette is what you will shift the most.
Old 07-26-07, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my Fuji 2007 Absolute LX about as much as you are looking for. Suits me fine with bar ends by Crane. 700 x 28 check out fujis website.
Old 07-26-07, 01:04 PM
<3s bikes

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek FX
Old 07-30-07, 04:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trek fx

Hi,
Please keep me posted on your experience with that new trek
Thanks,
nucomm613
Old 07-31-07, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in a similar situation and have made my choice...I rode both specialized and trek hybrids which both rode nice the specialized being a better feel but the problem I had was with the components..they were sora on both which shifted something awful. So I thought ok maybe I should upgrade the cheapo parts then realized from what i have read and I know about my biking experience that it wouldnt make sense to spend the $$ on a somewhat cheap platform with these mid level hybrids.

So I decided to try a road bike out since I was interested in the same things you are trying to obtain. I love speed which may be part of my reasoning and I already have dedicated MTB so why have something in between why not have a dedicated bike. I decided I am going to a road bike...if it gets that uncomfy I will put a higher rise stem on along with bigger more cush tires.

After riding both side by side, the hybrid which I was sold on is no longer an option. I now am spending more $$ then I planned but the road bike is a full carbon frame along with 105 components so I will be good for a long time.. Good luck