Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Understanding Shimano parts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 08:07 AM
now accepting donations

Bikes: GT Aggressor 3.0, soon-to-be owner of a Specialized Dolce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased my first road bike, and I'm trying to figure out where my components fall on the scale of quality, I'd also like to become generally more educated on bike parts.

Could anyone break down the difference between components for me? Also, are there any other brands beside Shimano?

Thanks,
Jess
Old 07-09-07, 08:15 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
https://sram.com/
Old 07-09-07, 08:20 AM
now accepting donations

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There isn't any information explaining the difference between parts on that site. Is it just another brand?
Old 07-09-07, 08:26 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
SRAM is a competitor of Shimano.

What kind of Shimano parts are you looking for comparisons? Road? Mountain Bike?

For Road, the general hierarchy for Shimano is DuraAce, Ultegra, 105, Sora (did I miss on in there? Tiagra?). The differences will be in materials, weight, durability, etc., as with most manufactured goods.

Opinions will vary. If you're new to road riding, 105 level Shimano stuff is excellent for performance and durability.

Check out Shimano's website for more info and specs.
Old 07-09-07, 08:34 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Short list--top-of-the-line to cheapest

Dura-Ace
Ultegra SL (new for 2008)
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora

An older page on the Shimano site listing the groups in order. 105 is now 10-speed and in 2008 Sora will be 9-speed.

Current 2007 offerings
Old 07-09-07, 11:41 PM
now accepting donations

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, this helps! the Shimano site doesn't really explain them very well. i also heard that Shimano isn't really the best, that they break pretty easy, but it's a starting point for a road bike novice. someone suggested SRAM and Cappy(?).
Old 07-09-07, 11:42 PM
now accepting donations

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and the bike i just purchased is the Specialized Dolce, with Shimano Tiagra.
Old 07-09-07, 11:53 PM
What?

Bikes: 1980s Pinarello Treviso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by povertyonwheels
thanks, this helps! the Shimano site doesn't really explain them very well. i also heard that Shimano isn't really the best, that they break pretty easy, but it's a starting point for a road bike novice. someone suggested SRAM and Cappy(?).
Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo (Campy) all make different levels of components. Lower end Shimano stuff will obviously be a little less durable than some other manufacturers, considering that SRAM and Campagnolo low level groups start at much more than Shimano lower level groups. However, Shimano also makes some very nice higher level stuff (Dura Ace), which is comparable to upper level SRAM (the Force and Red group) and Campagnolo (Record). At that price point, virtually everything is of very high quality and the differences come down to personal preferences and/or what specific characteristics you are looking for (weight, appearance, etc).

Shimano Tiagra is a decent low-level group, which should serve you well for a while. Once you buy Shimano 105, or any SRAM or Campy, it generally gets to the point where if you spend more, you're just getting less weight, not added functionality or more durability.
Old 07-10-07, 12:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try to get 105 shimano, veloce campagnolo, or better.
Old 07-10-07, 03:51 AM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Dura-Ace is Shimano's 'Italian' groupset, it's pronounced Doorah-Acheh with an Italian accent while raising the open palm of the right hand.

Old 07-10-07, 09:47 PM
Rabbinic Authority

Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by povertyonwheels
I just purchased my first road bike, and I'm trying to figure out where my components fall on the scale of quality, I'd also like to become generally more educated on bike parts.

Could anyone break down the difference between components for me? Also, are there any other brands beside Shimano?

Thanks,
Jess
The best way to become more familiar with cycling gear is by reading cycling magazines. After a few issues, you'll begin to accrue a basic knowledge, which will only build up over time. For your first bike, the Shimano parts you have are just fine, and over time, as your cycling proficiency and experience increases, you'll have a better idea of changes or upgrades in gear you'll need, such as different clipless pedals, lighter wheels, add-ons such as cyclometers, and tools to service your bike.

AS many people mentioned, there are many, many companies offering a vast selection of cycling gear, mainly from Shimano, Campagnolo, and SRAM. Reading cycling magazines will expose you to different gear options and manufacturers, as will the people on this forum who will always be glad to help you out in selecting new gear.

Enjoy the bike, and happy and safe riding.