Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Any Clyde Hikers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 09:34 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Clyde Hikers?

I went on my first hike last night with some guys after work. I had mentioned with them I'd like to get into hiking, but they do some pretty heavy stuff, so asked them "if you ever do a beginner type hike, let me know".

Well, the main guy who organizes (and usually wants heavy duty hikes) is on vacation, so another guy organized one, this week, and a small one so I could come along. I thought it would be strenuous, like maybe a 15 mile bike ride.

BOY WAS I WRONG!! HOLY COW it was hard.

The hike, Little Si, has 1200 feet of elevation over 2.5 mile hike (5 mile round trip). It was waaaaaay harder than I ever guessed it would be. I had to drive to work today instead of bike in because my legs feel like uncooked noodles. I was aching in every point on my body, I sweated completely through every clothing garment on my body. It was quite a workout. I'm sure a lot of it was that I was using "different" muscles than I'm used to, but still......WOW.

Anybody else into hiking? I have an even healthier respect for the sport now.
Old 07-13-07, 09:39 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by KingTermite
I went on my first hike last night with some guys after work. I had mentioned with them I'd like to get into hiking, but they do some pretty heavy stuff, so asked them "if you ever do a beginner type hike, let me know".

Well, the main guy who organizes (and usually wants heavy duty hikes) is on vacation, so another guy organized one, this week, and a small one so I could come along. I thought it would be strenuous, like maybe a 15 mile bike ride.

The hike, Little Si, has 1200 feet of elevation over 2.5 mile hike (5 mile round trip). It was waaaaaay harder than I ever guessed it would be. I had to drive to work today instead of bike in because my legs feel like uncooked noodles. I was aching in every point on my body, I sweated completely through every clothing garment on my body. It was quite a workout. I'm sure a lot of it was that I was using "different" muscles than I'm used to, but still......WOW.

I am, but I haven't hiked in six months. My knees are in terrible shape.

Old 07-13-07, 09:43 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
That would be me! We have a 13 mile trail here along the Wabash River I love to do the round trip on. It runs from Battleground, Indiana to Fort Quiatenon. It's called The Wabash Heritage Trail

This is what it will eventually develop to

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-13-07, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hike with my dogs about 10 miles a week. I have a 2 mile round trip couse that I take them on. I'll usually do the hike them jump on the bike.
Old 07-13-07, 10:03 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to do a fair amount - haven't been hiking/camping in a while though. When I did do it the ultralight backpacking guides on the web proved very useful especially as I usually carry too much anyway.

it's an old list but 3 day, 3 season with only 7.5kg of gear and consumables
https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ght/00234.html

check out google and a book called "beyond backpacking" by ray jardine - it's a lot verbose but covers everything you need. There are even has the patterns for his bags and gear for you to download if you care to sew your own.

He does know what he's talking about. He founded and sold Golite based on his ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ht+backpacking
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-13-07, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do a fair amount. My fave hike is Mount Greylock, which is near where I live, but now that the auto road is out, you can't drive up partway and hit a trailhead for a 2-4 hour hike -- you've got to go allll the way up from the bottom. That's a big day, and I haven't done it yet this year. I've got a 1000' vertical peak across the river from my house, and I do an after-work scramble up that from time to time. And I like to hike the AT section of Stratton in Vermont.

Hiking and walking are very different things. Walking is usually done on sidewalks or along paved roads or on a nice path through a city park; thus, it's never very steep or very rugged. Hiking is dealing with terrain pretty much on its own terms, not as graded and smoothed for human use. It's an eye-opener.
Old 07-13-07, 10:50 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
It's an eye-opener.
That is was.

Anxious to work up those muscles and keep at it though.
Old 07-13-07, 11:14 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We'll talk about some actual beginner's hikes this Sunday when we ride, KT. Little Si is not as big and bad as Mt. Si or the West Tiger Cable Line, but it's not what I'd class as a beginner's hike. There's quite a bit of rock scramble when you get to the peak at Little Si.
Old 07-13-07, 11:24 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
We'll talk about some actual beginner's hikes this Sunday when we ride, KT. Little Si is not as big and bad as Mt. Si or the West Tiger Cable Line, but it's not what I'd class as a beginner's hike. There's quite a bit of rock scramble when you get to the peak at Little Si.
I was wondering when you'd show up.
Old 07-13-07, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a fair bit of hiking...we have lots of great trails within a couple hours of Western Mass. It can be tough the first while you do it but gets you in great shape. It's funny to revise your estimates of distance for car, bike, foot. Coming from doing a lot of hiking and thinking "11 miles is an all-day hike" it's been interesting to recalibrate for my 11 mile one way bike ride to work.
Old 07-13-07, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I hike. It is a very nice way to exercise, think and see nature at the same time. I'll advise that you get hiking poles. They are really good at helping relieve pressure on your knees.

Also, get a camelbak, good hiking shoes, and you are good to go.

Regards,
Old 07-13-07, 12:02 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do a little bit of hiking when I can find somebody to go with. KingTermite, you're very, very right that it's tough if you're used to biking.

Anyone in NJ do the Pailsades recently? That's an amazing hike.

My bands:
Old 07-13-07, 01:03 PM
Got Bent?

Bikes: Rans F5 Enduro XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
+1 When I saw Si in your post I didn't think it was going to be pretty. Add on to places to hike that are on the easy side add Point Defiance in tacoma on your list. Lots of good trails in some really nice old growth. I go out there a lot with the family and enjoy the trails.
Old 07-13-07, 02:33 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hike when made to by either the government or my wife (same thing, really).
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 07-13-07, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite

It can be rough, I usually bike from April to October, Hike from November to March, different muscles get used for each, but one thing is similar, you need to stay well hydrated!!!!
Old 07-13-07, 05:18 PM
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to backpack at least 1-2 times per month from spring to fall when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Loved every minute of it.
Old 07-13-07, 06:13 PM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiking, that's like a long walk right? I walk my dog for a mile or two. Anything longer than a few miles puts a hurting on me.
Old 07-13-07, 07:28 PM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I love to hike. Only problem is getting to go often enough and it hurts my knees. Thats why I took up biking. I went on a 27 mile hike last week and for the first time in a long time my knee did not swell up very much. In fact it was fine the first and second day and only hurt me when I got home after the third day and 13 miles. hiked 4 miles late on day 1, 10 miles on day 2 but in some pretty rough terrain with lots of creek crossings. then the 13 on day 3. The plan was to hike easy mileage all three days but I had some stuff to do so got a late start on day 1. I agree with Lucas who reccomended poles. That and keep the pack weight down as much as possible. My pack the other day was 27 lbs for 3 days and included 48 oz water. some folks go a lot lighter but the really light gear gets expensive. plus I was testing a 15 deg bag and 0 deg pad (for BGT) which added to my load. with my normal 30 deg down bag and a hammock (no pad as the bag pulls over my hammock) I can get by with around 23 lbs. This hike was up the Jacks River in Ga, then a hike up hemptop mountian and back down to the river. Nothing beats a swim in the creek right before bedtime. On the AT it's is much harde to get a good bath.
Old 07-13-07, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
I miss hiking like crazy. Last fall I hiked up a small mountain for what may have been my last hike. I paid for it later, but it was wonderful.

Good for getting in shape, isn't it.
Old 07-13-07, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I miss hiking like crazy. Last fall I hiked up a small mountain for what may have been my last hike. I paid for it later, but it was wonderful.

Good for getting in shape, isn't it.

Late,
any reason you wont be able to hike again or is it too personal...only reason i could imagin not hiking would be being disabled (crippled) or blind and then i'd find sombody to guide me or get a dog. I guess the scenry would not mean as much... i guess one day i will be too old to hike so that might be another stopper. then i'd have my memories if i dont get altimers first (sp?) in the mean time i will hike every time i get a chance and like it might be my last cause it might be.
Old 07-13-07, 08:33 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coyboy
...no pad as the bag pulls over my hammock...
That sounds useful - could you post a picture and/or explain that one please?
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-13-07, 08:45 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I like hiking a lot. I tend to do short day hikes, nothing at a blistering pace.

Generally, I only go hiking with friends, but cycling I tend to do alone.

Scott
Old 07-13-07, 08:50 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
hope this shows up. but basically it is a sleeping bag with a hole cut in the foot end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hammock bag.jpg (24.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-14-07, 05:44 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coyboy
hope this shows up. but basically it is a sleeping bag with a hole cut in the foot end.
cool thanks - I think I'll stick to pad/blanket in the hammock rather than bag around - nice idea though.
Old 07-14-07, 05:48 AM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah....once a week with the kids and some friends.....about 5-8 miles......uses different muscles....often worse than 40 miles on a bike (on the bike atleast we get to sit)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.