Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any experience with "HADLEY" hubs?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-15-03, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody run or have experience with "Hadley" brand hubs? Like, I know they're suppost to be almost bomb proof but will the aluminum freehub body take the abuse from steel cassette cogs? And does the aluminum axle hold up as well? Just need some opinions/advice before buying a Hadley rear hub.
Old 07-15-03, 10:38 AM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I know that Santana Tandems are now using Hadley's on there hi-end models. There is a poster to the Tandem section of this forum, user name Livingood, who seems to know alot about tandem stuff. You might PM or e-mail him to see if he's used these yet. You could also contact Santana or Bud's Bike Shop in Claremont, Ca. to ask some ??? about these. They would know.

Old 07-15-03, 10:58 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
PM DirtBikeDude...he runs them. I have looked into them. 36 engagement points and some consider them to be the most bombproof hubs on the market. They als have an easy system for changing axle size. Definately the best hub in that price range. I just wish they had a website. It seems to be a popular choice amongst pro dhillers because of its strenght and engagements.
Old 07-15-03, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maelstrom....do the DH riders use the aluminum axle? The hub I'm after has an aluminum freehub body and axle. Suppose to be about 100 grams lighter than a XTR. I'm looking more towards strength than weight. Thanks for the input.....
Old 07-15-03, 01:09 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe there is a steel option which I personally would get as a 260pound rough rider (haha rough rider) but some use aluminum with no ill effects. Are you putting this on a tandem or a normal mtb?
Old 07-15-03, 01:14 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the phone number for the shop to ask more detailed questions.

909-946-6780
1937-A W. 11th St.
Upland, CA
Old 07-15-03, 01:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I use my full suspension bike for mostly commuting with an occasional curb jump. No downhills or trails but bike paths here a POS. Just a little concerned with the aluminum axle (I'm 195 lbs). How well do aluminum freehub bodies hold up to stell cogs?
Old 07-15-03, 01:34 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldnt be concerned. You are only slightly heavier than what is considered norm and you aren't pushing limits. I don't think there would be an issue.
Old 07-15-03, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In your humble opinion, what would be a better choice: the Hadley hub or a Shimano XT hub? I'm sort of stuck in the middle of choices right now. We have our annual "Century Ride" coming up and need to get my bike ready.
Old 07-15-03, 01:49 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
....Xt...hadley is overkill. Xt hubs are strong, durable and cheap and have metal internals (unlike their cheaper little brothers) Hadley is great but unless you are really pushing your bike there is no need to spend the money. The Xt should easily be able to handle the century...

Maybe look at hopes if you really want to spend some extra cash...I believe they are lighter than xt's and offer more engagement points and are far more reasonably priced.
Old 07-15-03, 01:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I have a choice of getting either the REAR Hadley hub only or getting front & rear XT hubs for about the same price. I guess I'll go with the XT hubs. I guess the Hadley is sort of "overkill"....like killing a mosquito with a bazooka.
Old 07-15-03, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Manitou SS, Trek 69er SS, Fisher Cake DLX1, Breezer Beltway 8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen Hadley hubs on some buddies' bikes, but hadn't heard about the aluminum cassette carrier. I think that would be a bad idea, based on my experience riding and repairing the original White Industries hubs that also featured a chi-chi lightweight aluminum cassette hub.

The thing is, the aluminum cassette hubs would split, right along the line of one or more splines on for the cassette. They were light, and the hubs were great, but this was the weak spot. White Indsutries addressed it by going to a titanium freehub, and they don't split.
Old 07-15-03, 06:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I agree. I'd rather have steel for the axle and cassette carrier (freehub body) as I'm not too concerned about the weight. I went ahead and ordered the Shimano XT front & rear hubs from PricePoint.com. Not bad......both hubs for around $60.
Old 07-15-03, 07:44 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can't beat that price ...considering one hadley rear is 200$...
Old 07-16-03, 05:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me just say this about Hadley and XT... I am a 215lb rider that has destroyed no less than 3 XT freehub bodies in the last 2 years. I am incapable of destroying a hadley rear hub though. The extra cash spent for the better hub means that I have a some piece of mind and is worthwile to me. Up front, I still use the XT though. No sense in wasting cash LOL.

Chuck
Old 07-16-03, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally posted by Maelstrom
....Xt hubs are strong, durable and cheap and have metal internals (unlike their cheaper little brothers)
Which internals are plastic on which lower end Shimano hubs? This is news to me. My really low end Altus hubs on commuter wheels seem to be all metal.
Old 07-16-03, 11:11 AM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelW
Which internals are plastic on which lower end Shimano hubs? This is news to me. My really low end Altus hubs on commuter wheels seem to be all metal.
It was something I was told actually. Xt is a big jump is strength over the LX and Deore because the internals are stronger...(I believe this was in reference to the freehub as I go through these every month or so and they are trying to talk me into upgrading)

wouldn't be the first time one of my lbs's lied to me though
Old 07-16-03, 11:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone....this is great input. I'm going to try to respoke the wheels myself. I got "Zinn's" book and read the chapter on wheel building and seems pretty straight forward. I had my rear wheel respoked twice over the bike's life and both times were a bum job. First was spokes too long and second was spokes are laced opposite to the twist of the cogs. So I gave up and will try it myself and get it done RIGHT. May take a while but I'm in no rush.