Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First (and last) century in the bag

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 05:23 PM
red bikes rule!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I did my first century. It was on the eastern shore of Maryland, during the second day of Cycle Across Maryland. The terrain is very flat, the temperature was cool in the am rising to mid-80s, and the humidity was low. Perfect.

Except it got up near 90, there wasn't much shade, and it was windy. Really windy. I rode faster than I ever have, going many miles at 14-16 and sometimes faster, but in the end I averaged about 13 mph. The first 60 miles were pretty good, but as the day heated up we took more frequent breaks. I had figured it would take one hour for every 10 miles, including breaks, and that's exactly how it ended up--10.5 hours for 105 miles.

Cycle Across Maryland is an event that definitely skews older, and I'd guess that at least half of the 500 or so participants would qualify for this forum. It's a 3-day ride; I did 30 the first day, then the 105-mile century, and 38 today.

The century was made much more enjoyable since I rode with a 50+ woman who rode across the US (Southern tier) this spring, and we talked about her experience. I have no desire to ever do another century unless my speed improves considerably, as 10.5 hours is a very long time to spend on the bike.

Edit: Here's the proof I did it. I rode 0.4 miles to breakfast, so that makes it 105 total!

century proof.jpg

Last edited by divingbiker; 07-15-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-15-07, 05:27 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
But you now have something in the bag to be proud of. Congratulations.
Old 07-15-07, 05:45 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tremendous! I like that you paced yourself. And your average overall speed, inc stops, of 10 mph is one that I rarely achieve on anything over 25 miles.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-15-07, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!! That is a grand accomplishment!
Old 07-15-07, 06:29 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!!

Doing your first century is a fantastic accomplishment. I said I would never do another one after my first but I'm considering one this year.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-15-07, 07:10 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!! One of the true milestones of cycling. I think that until you do a century, you haven't really <fill in your own comment here>. Now that you have done it, no one can ever take it away from you. You are a true member of a special club of special cyclists.
Old 07-15-07, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
WOW, I can't sit in a car that long, but I'll still have to give it a try. Anyhow congradulations on a fine ride.
Old 07-15-07, 07:16 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tlc20010
I think that until you do a century, you haven't really <fill in your own comment here>.
... brutalized your butt enough to get the merit badge?
Old 07-15-07, 07:24 PM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great accomplishment, divingbiker! Did you do the camping thing? I was so wanting to do the CAM this year, but I was in Europe till late Thursday, so it wasn't in the cards. Sounds like you had a great time! Are you goint to do the Seagull Century?
Old 07-15-07, 07:26 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that until you do a century, you haven't really <fill in your own comment here>.
Proven to your friends, family and co-workers how nutty you truly are.
Old 07-15-07, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yoo da man!
Old 07-15-07, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the group of insane people who get on a bike and ride 100 miles when they don't need to or have to It's a worthy accomplishment. Well done!!
Old 07-15-07, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding DB! You say you'll never do it again, but in a couple days from now when your butt feels better you'll probably start planning your next century.
Old 07-15-07, 08:02 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Old 07-15-07, 08:16 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBLover
Great accomplishment, divingbiker! Did you do the camping thing? I was so wanting to do the CAM this year, but I was in Europe till late Thursday, so it wasn't in the cards. Sounds like you had a great time! Are you goint to do the Seagull Century?
No, I'm no camper. I stayed in the dorm at UMES. I will probably never camp again, because I like a bed and air conditioning and a shower too much at the end of a long day.

I will definitely not do the Seagull Century, but there's a slight chance I'd do the metric. I haven't reserved a hotel room yet, and I understand that it may be too late at this point. The CAM route today covered some of the Seagull route, if the seagulls painted on the road are any indication.
Old 07-16-07, 05:17 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go!

How did you train for the ride? And what kind of drink/food combo worked for you?
Old 07-16-07, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divingbiker
I have no desire to ever do another century unless my speed improves considerably, as 10.5 hours is a very long time to spend on the bike.
Attachment 49756

Yep, I've heard that before--maybe even said it myself. I heard about those gals, they were just a few days behind me as I made my Southern Tier crossing. I think one was even in her 70s.
Old 07-16-07, 06:06 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, I like this divingbiker.

Did a century, but took 10.5 hours. Doesn't want to do another one. Will only stay in motels.

Welcome brother!
Old 07-16-07, 06:14 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nycycle
Yoo da man!
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Welcome brother!
Thanks for making me one of the guys, but I think it should be "yoo da woman!" and "Welcome sister!"
Old 07-16-07, 06:21 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even better ...

Welcome Sister!
Old 07-16-07, 06:21 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
Way to go!

How did you train for the ride? And what kind of drink/food combo worked for you?
I didn't really "train." I ride to work every day, 14.2 miles round trip. I ride one or both days on the weekend, usually around 20-40 miles, sometimes 10 miles mountain biking. The last two weekends I did 50 miles and then 62 miles, and then I went for the century.

I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at every rest stop, and occasionally orange slices or a banana or a few peanuts. Occasionally I'd have a handful of trail mix that I had brought along. Since I'm a vegan, I took along snacks just in case but the rest stops were well stocked so I didn't have to dip into my stash. I took Gatorade diluted to about half strength in one water bottle, and water in the other. (I got new Polar insulated bottles for the century since I almost got sick drinking 90 degree Gatorade on my 62 mile ride. I like them a lot.)

I just ate and drank regularly and everything worked out fine.
Old 07-16-07, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that until you do a century, you haven't really shown where being hard headed and having a cast iron butt will take you!
Congratulations on joining the hard heads with cast iron butts club. It's cool to be able to say hey, I done that, I know what it's like. You and I ride about the same speed, we would get on fine together on one of those long rides. WAY TO GO!
Old 07-16-07, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go girl! COngrats and now just think, you've earned all those bragging rights. Non-cyclists tend to think 20 miles is a long way to go on a bike, but cyclists KNOW 100 miles really IS a LONG, very long way and a tremendous accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself. I'm proud of you!

Colleen
Old 07-16-07, 06:48 PM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most excellent & congrats. As a fellow DC'er, let me know (or tlc20010 - the Grampster) if you ever want to go out for a 45 mile ride in the Maryland burbs - my wife would like some more female company.
Old 07-16-07, 06:53 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice planning. I'm impressed by your approach to it. That you set out to do it and then knocked it down.

And you did it without the tornado assistance that gave Terrierman such a big boost on his century.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.