Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle pain

Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle that relieves the pressure on the perineal area. After riding for 5 miles or so, I go numb, including my toes. I there a saddle of seat position that will help?
Old 07-16-07, 12:17 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(I'm not qualified to answer this, but I predict that one person will ask if you've been professionally fitted, another will tell you to point the saddle down slightly, 3 or 4 will say that numbness down to your toes is very unusual and a medical discussion will ensue, and a couple dozen or so will mention that they are in love with "saddle X" but that every person has their own likes and dislikes.

Oh, and someone will be crabby and tell you to sit on the post.)
Old 07-16-07, 12:26 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What type of bike and saddle do you currently ride? Five miles seems like a short distance for this type of problem.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-16-07, 12:30 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good point, Beverly! Now I feel bad for trying to be funny...(I just got done reading more of DG's clipless thread) .

Anyway, good point. Carry on.
Old 07-16-07, 12:33 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakeoh
Does anyone have a recommendation for a saddle that relieves the pressure on the perineal area. After riding for 5 miles or so, I go numb, including my toes. I there a saddle of seat position that will help?
A search of this forum will reveal more recommendations on saddles and positions than a person could read in a week.
Old 07-16-07, 12:38 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Good point, Beverly! Now I feel bad for trying to be funny...(I just got done reading more of DG's clipless thread) .

Anyway, good point. Carry on.
You were right on target.....

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-16-07, 12:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=solvegOh, and someone will be crabby and tell you to sit on the post.)[/QUOTE]

The state I finished rides with some saddles- that would have been more comfortable.

Just a coupleof questions- How long have you been riding?- If a fair time- How long have you had the saddle? And have you tried adjusting the saddle in any way?

Saddles can be a problem so find a friendly shop and sit on as many bikes as you can the day after you have ridden. The bit of pain you still have will tell you what saddles not to buy- and hopefully put you onto a type of saddle that may suit.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-16-07, 12:54 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
my personal belief is that a lot of 'P' word problems can be related to proper saddle width, well before brand, cutout, vint'ah'ge-retro-butt hatch, 'bling' super-expensivo carbon shelf or sprung barcolounger cushion.
itz all about support, and the width of the load...
Old 07-16-07, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by card
A search of this forum will reveal more recommendations on saddles and positions than a person could read in a week.

B17
Old 07-16-07, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks!!!!
Old 07-16-07, 04:04 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What general type of saddle are you using now? Wide & cushy with springs? Standard stock saddle on a $200 hybrid? Standard stock saddle on a $600 road bike?
Old 07-16-07, 05:17 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
B17

Old 07-16-07, 06:15 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Here's one that solveg forgot.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
Old 07-16-07, 07:31 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
What general type of saddle are you using now? Wide & cushy with springs? Standard stock saddle on a $200 hybrid? Standard stock saddle on a $600 road bike?
I'd second this question (hard to get one in through the chattering monkeys ). Soft saddles, particularly gel saddles, can result in this sort of pressure as the padding/gell gets pushed aside by your bones applying pressure to the soft areas.

Richard
am I allowed to rave about the comfort of my Brooks ... even though it's only just been despatched from Europe and isn't even in Australia yet?
Old 07-16-07, 08:16 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Here's one that solveg forgot.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
Yah! You always* surprise me!
Old 07-16-07, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I just since a picture of a new Brooks and it's only $700, for collectors I would think. I forgot the model.
Old 07-16-07, 08:45 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, numbness down to your toes sounds like major nerve interferrence. What type of saddle are you using now?
Old 07-16-07, 08:50 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Toe numbness does not sound like typical bike seat-related discomfort. Your legs get numb?
Old 07-16-07, 09:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recall a stranded cyclist who was reduced to boiling his Brooks and eating it. (Didn't need any additional salt or seasoning for flavor.) Couldn't do that with a plastic saddle. See, Brooks are good for something after all.

Old 07-16-07, 09:47 PM
Northern Minnesota

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Crosstown, 1984 Raleigh Racing USA Competition, 197? Fuji Cambridge III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B 67, ahhhh, comfort!
Old 07-17-07, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Wow, numbness down to your toes sounds like major nerve interferrence. What type of saddle are you using now?
Overall bike fit has more to do with comfort than the saddle itself. Your post on the toes points up to more problems than the saddle. Simply getting a Brooks or Fizik Aliante(my favorite) will not fix your problem or cure cancer. Check some of the online fit calculators or got to the LBS and get fitted to the bike.

There are more bikes hanging in garages collecting dust due to improper fit than any other reason.
Old 07-17-07, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am fairly new to cycling. Last night I lower the seat about an inch and moved it forward. Seemed to help. Toe problem was gone. Still had discomfort in the perineal area.

The seat is a stock that came with my Trek 1.2. I am a larger person, 6' 2" and broad. I will check with the LBS for a better fit.
Old 07-17-07, 10:40 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Technically, moving the saddle position down is not a good thing for your legs. It increases stress on your knees. However medical conditions can force us into making adjustments that aren't normally optimal.

The stock Bontrager saddle on a Trek (Pilot?) 1.2 is not well regarded. So it isn't surprising that you are having some problems with it. As to which saddle would work best for you, I have no idea.

If you have configured the bike to have a more upright riding position, by raising the handlebars and/or lowering the seat, that will shift more weight onto the saddle. Generally when one does this, then they need a wider saddle. You could look at options from Terry, Brooks, Selle, and others, which all offer wider saddles than the stock Bontrager you have now.

But perhaps you really shouldn't be configuring the fit to shift more weight onto the saddle. As stated by others, it is best to start out getting the fit set up correctly, then you can address the saddle situation. If you change out the saddle first, then an adjustment to the fit could make the replacement saddle a poor choice.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-17-07, 12:50 PM
ReNewing Rider

Bikes: old 10-speed...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just replaced the saddle on my Trek Pilot 1.2 with a Serfas RX-921V. I also adjusted the tilt nose-down one notch. I installed the new saddle and made the adjustment after being off the bike for over 3 weeks due to travel and illness. I've only done two short rides since then but the change is easily felt and I had no pain at all. I was expecting a lot of discomfort after 3 weeks off the saddle but there was none.

I choose the Serfas for function, cost, and expediency. I saw it in the local SportsChalet sports megastore, it was only $40, I read some favorable reviews on-line, and between the Serfas satisfaction guarantee and SportChalet return policy, I knew I could return it. It's a relatively heavy saddle at 510 grams but I'm not concerned about its weight. If you are there are, other choices available from Serfas, Terry, and undoubtedly many others.

I know I committed the cardinal sin of troubleshooting by changing 2 parameters at one time (new saddle and tilt adjustment). At some point, I may put the stock saddle back on just to see how much the tilt adjustment alone helped.