Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Question Concerning Return Idler On RANS V-Rex

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased the power idler (for my RANS V-Rex) from Terracycle, but they do not make the return idler. Does another company offer a better option than the stock return idler? Or do I not worry about the idler and replace it (when necessary) with another stock idler?

Does the return idler really make that much of a difference? Is idler performance only an issue on the "power" side of the chain?

Thanks,

Hank
Old 07-18-07, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm still using the stock idlers on both sides. When the bearings go bad after 5 years or so of hard use, you just replace them with standard rollerblade wheel bearings. The Terracycle power idlers would probably be a small improvement, but I don't think replacing the return idler would gain you anything.
Old 07-19-07, 01:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate the information.

Hank
Old 07-20-07, 08:15 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can really recommend the idlers by TerraCycle. The stock idler on my Burley was half siezed up with the power side still turning but the chain mainly slipping over it. Put the replacement on an wow, what a difference!
Mind you, after riding some time with the idler half seized up and pullying and grooving over the plastic then replacing it with ANYTHING that actually turns with the chain and really noticing it is a bit like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer and thinking "man it feels good when you stop!"
But the idler from Terracyle, while not cheap, is really high quality! I'm sure it will last longer than I will!
Old 07-20-07, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Return idlers take no load and should not wear out. Power idler, on the other hand, take on extreme loads particularly when the chain makes a streep angle across it. I do recommend a power side idler with a gear so the chain's rollers are taking the load instead of the chain's side plates. THis will help to make the chain and the idler last longer. The other issie that had been in discussion is float of the idler. If the idler can float sideways, it will help maintain a straight chainline through all your gear combinations. This is something that TerraCycle idler solution will provide.