Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Returning mountain biker with two noob questions on current bikes...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix & CAAD9, Singlespeed Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to get back into mountain biking after not touching my current bike for over 7 years. It's a '94 Cannondale M800 with a pepperoni/beast of the east frame. Unfortunately, the components (all Deore LX) are in rough shape after years of hard use followed by neglect. I looked into replacing everything that needs replacing and upgrading to a front shock and that puts me in the ball park of a new cannondale hardtail (I'm not bike savvy, so my lbs would be performing all the work).

So, I have two questions:

1 - Are the current cannondale hardtail frames (Furio-X) better (lighter/stronger) than my frame?

2 - I may make the leap to full suspension - does the rear suspension have specific maintenance requirements or would it be as painless to own as a hardtail? All I know is hardtail, so I wouldn't know what I'd be missing performance-wise if I stick with hardtail (and the wife would be happy with the extra $$$ in my wallet )
Old 07-18-07, 02:53 PM

Bikes: 2011 Orbea Onix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes and somewhat
Old 07-18-07, 03:06 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
1 - Are the current cannondale hardtail frames (Furio-X) better (lighter/stronger) than my frame?
13 years of development? What do you think?
2 - I may make the leap to full suspension - does the rear suspension have specific maintenance requirements
YES. Suspension pivots and rear shocks do require periodic maintenance.
or would it be as painless to own as a hardtail?
No
Old 07-18-07, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 2010 LHT, 2019 Kona Rove NRB, 07 Nashbar 853 Signature, Sundeal V2 mini velo, 1991 Fisher HKII

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
upgrading the fork may not work with the older frames geometry. you could end up with a raked out fork and chopper effect.

you will kost likely more bang for the buck if you decide to go hardtail rather than FS. For the same money you should get better components, better frame material and, higher quality construction. That being said, it depends on what sort of riding you want to do. Also, I have never used a FS bike. I just upgraded my old hardtail to a new one by moving components over to a new 853 frame and used (but new to me) marz fork. It's no freeride bike, but its great for heavy technical xc.
Old 07-18-07, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix & CAAD9, Singlespeed Seven

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
13 years of development? What do you think?

I had hoped this was the case, but I wasn't sure if the "good" frame technology was being saved for the full suspension bikes - just wanted to be sure.

Originally Posted by soreyes
I just upgraded my old hardtail to a new one by moving components over to a new 853 frame and used (but new to me) marz fork. It's no freeride bike, but its great for heavy technical xc.
Cool, good info
Old 07-18-07, 07:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say you'd be better off with a new bike or slightly use one. Take a look at everything you can in your price range and look for reviews on the parts and components on the bikes you liked the most.