Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

joponen? Finnish bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

joponen? Finnish bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
joponen? Finnish bike

HI! I just bought an old(to me) bike. It's a Joponen. That's what the frame says. I was told it was made in Finland about 1978. I have only found 2 pictures of these bikes on the web. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a place I can get 14X1 3/8" tubes/tires. If anyone has any information on these bikes please let me know. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Old 07-17-03, 12:34 PM
60mph in the 42 ring!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
14 x 1 3/8" ??? What is it- a folding bike?
Old 08-29-03, 06:29 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I do not usually follow Classic & Vintage -branch.

Joponen is Finnish, made by the Helkama bike factory. Their current production version of the small-wheeled classic is called Jopo, but it has slightly larger wheels (22"). The "-nen" at the end of your bike's name indicates the diminutive form of the word "Jopo", so it is possible your bike is a smaller version.

You can find their web site with minimal English information here. They might be able to tell you where to get tyres and tubes.

Good luck!

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 12-02-03, 03:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joponen

Originally Posted by cdub
HI! I just bought an old(to me) bike. It's a Joponen. That's what the frame says. I was told it was made in Finland about 1978. I have only found 2 pictures of these bikes on the web. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a place I can get 14X1 3/8" tubes/tires. If anyone has any information on these bikes please let me know. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Hello!

I have one of those too! It really is made in Finland during the 70īs. My bike was first owned by one of our neighborous. After that it was used for learning my big sister to ride bike. And finally it was used for learning me to ride a bike.
This bike is blue coloured and it has those traffic signs in its frame. There is also told the meaning of those!!!
Now (after 20 yrs) I started to repear it for my sisters daughter. I had also some problems with those tires. Finally I found them from Lahti/Finland in a store (www.pyorahuolto.net). Those tires are made by Monark and tubes are made by Nokia. They told me in that store, that this size of tires arenīt manufactured anymore (for years). Itīs a pity that these tires are black-coloured, those originals were grey!
Now Iīm trying to find those original handlebars, which looks like an ice-cream - you know!?! They have a kind of ball in the end...

Something about Jopo & Joponen:
Jopo is a littlebit bigger, with its 22" tires. It was very popular here in Finland during 70īs & 80īs. Joponen is smaller and not so common. They were made by helkama (www.helkamavelox.fi)