Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Blackberries

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 09:22 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blackberries

At the doctors office today, the nurse congratulated me on losing 16 pounds it the last three months. I was so pumped that I decided to walk the 3/4 mile out to the mail box after dinner and burn off another 100 calories or so. On the way back, I noticed that the blackberries were just starting to get ripe so I ate about 400 calories worth. Does this make me a bad person or can I just count it as two or three servings of fruit?
Old 07-18-07, 10:00 PM
Huge Memeber

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Lemond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It makes you lucky! I wish I had fresh blackberries "down the lane".
We aren't even getting much for mulberries here. We had a warm up and then a freeze this spring that screwed up the trees.
Old 07-18-07, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fruit. And it makes you an itchy person, from all the verdamnt chiggers and ticks that hang out in blackberry patches, not to mention the poison ivy that you had to wade through on the way. I love blackberries too, but now that I have disposable income, I've permanently given up picking them myself. But I admire those who do!

Congratulations on losing over five pounds per month, that is serious weight loss.
Old 07-19-07, 01:46 AM

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Picking blackberries is good for the soul. I do it every year with the niece and nephew and we have a great time. My dog even picks blackberries. I've never heard of a dog doing that before but he does and he loves them! In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with picking and eating fresh blackberries, in fact there is everything right with it. Fresh air, walking, nature etc. etc. if anyone makes you feel bad or guilty about doing so then it is time to sit down and do some serious thinking. As Terrierman pointed out its fruit after all.
Old 07-19-07, 06:01 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try and make mental notes on the rail trails around here of where the wild rasberries and blackberries are. I like taking my Grand Son back on the rides so we can pick them too. At 3 1/2 he gets a pretty good kick out of it when he can just pluck them off and eat them fresh like that.
Old 07-19-07, 06:15 AM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guilty? Naw...Those babies will be running through you soon enough. Think of it as a free cleansing
Old 07-19-07, 06:43 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hah! Here in the PNW the question is not WHERE can we find them, but where can we NOT find them . Dang things take over a garden in minutes flat if one is not careful. They are tasty though. Much better than the bland and insipid salmonberries.

What I like to keep an eye on is the hazelnuts. Very precious, those.

East Hill
Old 07-19-07, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've got a raspberry patch at the house. MMMMMM good. I don't think you can ever feel guilty for eating fruit.
Old 07-19-07, 06:57 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It makes me jealous! Seriously though, never feel bad about eating fresh fruit. 400 calories of fruit is.. well.. 400 calories of goodness!

Last night I was good, then horrible. Had a great 100 degree ride home (man it was hot..), then we decided to go out to dinner. The kiddos love VI, so to VI we went. I resisted my old favorite (ultimate skillet... mmmm...) and had the Cobb Salad again.. and it was amazing! The last time I had it, it was.. mediocre at best. This time it was... drool worthy.

Then we decided to hit DQ on the way home for the kids. I caved. One small waffle cone Blizzard. The better half was giggling as we were driving home and said "I bet you are going to go home, go straight to the laptop, look it up on Daily Plate and never eat it again!" She was.. most definitely correct. 530 calories is the short story, I won't tell of the other horribleness it contained!

So don't feel bad about your blackberries AT ALL
Old 07-19-07, 09:42 AM
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdinger
It makes me jealous! Seriously though, never feel bad about eating fresh fruit. 400 calories of fruit is.. well.. 400 calories of goodness!
+1 what bdinger said. Eating 400 calories of fruit is better for you than eating 400 calories of candy or other crap. Fruit may be "calorie dense", but they're not empty calories -- there's a lot of other good stuff in there your body needs.

Oh, and good job with the weight loss!
Old 07-19-07, 10:20 AM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
breadbin,
I had never thought that dogs would like blackberries either until I saw a pack of coyotes eating them several years ago. They just walked up to the vines and were grazing like cattle.

East Hill,
Salmonberries don't have much flavor but they're extremely high in vitamin c. They also have prettier flowers.

Old 07-19-07, 10:48 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
breadbin,
I had never thought that dogs would like blackberries either until I saw a pack of coyotes eating them several years ago. They just walked up to the vines and were grazing like cattle.
After seeing enough coyote scat, I can tell you that coyotes LOVE blackberries around here. They must also climb the local wild cherries, because I see coyote scat full of cherry pits at this time of year .

Originally Posted by Dogbait
East Hill,
Salmonberries don't have much flavor but they're extremely high in vitamin c. They also have prettier flowers.
Actually, salmonberries are all right if they are consumed before they get too ripe. They are definitely the prettier flower though, and I enjoy seeing the range of orange to pinkish red berries when they colour up.

East Hill
Old 07-19-07, 12:18 PM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel a lot better about eating 400 calories worth of fruit than 400 calories of fat and sugar. At least you are getting natural vitamins. You don't want to do it every day. I've heard of people starting diets and eating so much naturally high in sugar fruits that they still were not loosing weight, so everything in moderation is critical. On the other hand you need to treat youself every now and then also, and better all natural that stuff filled with all kinds of chemicals we can't pronounce.

Happy riding and congrats on the weight loss,
André
Old 07-20-07, 01:14 AM

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andrelam
I've heard of people starting diets and eating so much naturally high in sugar fruits that they still were not loosing weight, so everything in moderation is critical.
Thats right, 3 magic words Everything in Moderation. Thats what my mother tells me anyway. It is funny I saw this program about a hospital in America and some fella was eating 20 oranges a day and was wondering why he wasn't losing weight. I think the doctor replied with something like "If you eat 20 anything a day you won't lose weight!" Yes, well done on the weight loss btw. It feels good.
Old 07-20-07, 03:34 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I hate Blackberries, people are always typing away on them. I gave my BBerry up a while back.
Old 07-20-07, 04:37 AM
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
I hate Blackberries, people are always typing away on them. I gave my BBerry up a while back.
Funny, when I clicked on the thread, that's what I thought it was about too.

As far as the fruit goes, I prefer mine in non-fat yogurt.

-DR
Old 07-20-07, 06:46 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife brought home some white nectarines the other day. I'm not a huge nectarine fan, but the white ones ROCK. If you like fruit you'll love 'em.