Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

No Energy Please Help

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No Energy Please Help

Old 07-21-07, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Energy Please Help

After doing so well the last few months enjoying my riding, always extending my ride distance week by week I have fallen into a heap the last week. Really struggling the last couple of rides, my legs have no power like they did before and I am breathless on climbs that I could chew up easily. I weight train 3 to 4 times a week as well as 2 to 3 rides per week. I am feeling pretty down as I can't understand what is wrong. Please Help
Old 07-21-07, 01:14 AM
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude go see a doctor first of all, to make sure it isn't something serious. It could be some kind of depression too, which a doctor can help you with.

Might be over-training, maybe you're not getting the right nutrition, hard to say without more information really.
Old 07-21-07, 01:20 AM
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd be amazed what a couple of days of rest can do. If you're pushing yourself practically every day you're going to knacker out eventually. If a few days' rest doesn't help then see a doc.
Old 07-21-07, 01:24 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Have you seen a doctor lately? Could you be anemic? How many miles/kilometers are you riding?

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 07-21-07, 11:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yogir1
After doing so well the last few months enjoying my riding, always extending my ride distance week by week I have fallen into a heap the last week. Really struggling the last couple of rides, my legs have no power like they did before and I am breathless on climbs that I could chew up easily. I weight train 3 to 4 times a week as well as 2 to 3 rides per week. I am feeling pretty down as I can't understand what is wrong. Please Help
The answer is really simple.

You have been adding additional stress to your body every week. My guess is that when you started to struggle, you worked harder. And now you've overtrained - you've put so much stress on your body that you have overstressed it.

First, you need to buy a book on training. Carmichael and Friel are both good.

Second, you are going to have to back off *considerably* to allow your body time to recover. That means perhaps 3-4 *recovery rides* during the week - rides where you don't even come close to getting out of breath, and fairly short (maybe 90 minutes) - until you start feeling better. But don't expect it to recover quickly.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 07-21-07, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, consult with a doctor. Secondly, you need to schedule your ride every other day instead of riding everyday. I noticed my riding is limited to 20 some miles if I ride daily but if I ride every other day, I average about 50 some miles. I guess that one day lay off allows the body to recuperate, IMO.
Old 07-21-07, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Recovery does wonders. Top athletes know that after a tough workout, the body needs time to heal and to adjust for the bigger physical demands.
Old 07-21-07, 06:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericgu
The answer is really simple.

You have been adding additional stress to your body every week. My guess is that when you started to struggle, you worked harder. And now you've overtrained - you've put so much stress on your body that you have overstressed it.

First, you need to buy a book on training. Carmichael and Friel are both good.

Second, you are going to have to back off *considerably* to allow your body time to recover. That means perhaps 3-4 *recovery rides* during the week - rides where you don't even come close to getting out of breath, and fairly short (maybe 90 minutes) - until you start feeling better. But don't expect it to recover quickly.
I did push harder when I was struggling. I will take a few days off and get a trainig book. Thanks
Old 07-21-07, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
Have you seen a doctor lately? Could you be anemic? How many miles/kilometers are you riding?

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Lack of iron was a problem in the past. I'll have to check that aswell.
Old 07-21-07, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Heart rate monitor is good, too. Can keep you from pushing too hard on your recovery days (intentional low heartrate). You can also see when you are overtraining and can't get the heartrate up.
Old 07-27-07, 03:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an update guys. Went to see my local doctor, he done some blood tests and when the results came back I was sent to the ER where I was diagnosed anemic. Stayed the night in hospital and had a blood transfusion and now am feelig pretty good. Planning on doing an easy ride on Sunday to check everything is ok. Thanks for everyones Help.