Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Test for 50+ crowd.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Test for 50+ crowd.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 09:13 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Test for 50+ crowd.

Warning, this is a form of the famous Maddmaxx Unannounced Contests except that (what else would make sense) it is semi announced.

1..Are there any 50+ers out there riding Sora 16 speed (double chainging) bikes. Post here

2..Are there any 50+ers out there experimenting on handlebar height whose bikes have 1 1/8 steerer tubes and MTB handlebars. Post here.

Prize..................

1 to first interested poster a Maddmaxx modified Sora rear derailleur with ball bearing jockey wheels

2 to first interested poster a Zoom 120mm adjustable -10deg/+40deg stem for a 1 and 1/8 steerer tube and MTB diameter handlebars.

I need to recognize you as a 50+ poster or one of the regular posters has to vouch for you.

Go...................
Old 07-21-07, 10:54 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ride Sora 8 speed on the Giant but that is with a triple. I cannot fault 8 speed, or 7 speed for that matter, as I am used to Mountain bike gearing. The range of gears is there on the rear cassette- although the closeness of some of the individual gears may not be to some's liking.

Just a thought on using it with a double Crankset- I was riding the Triple mainly in the middle ring-a 42. The granny only came in on hills so not a hilly ride and I could get away with the 42. In fact I rarely used the 52 big ring- but that is a different matter.

On the new bike I have a Compact double and Although I have not tried any severe hills yet- The 50/36 is suitable for a hilly ride. So Depends on your legs, and your hills, Sora 8 speed with 12/26 and a compact double crankset could be suitable.

Now on the bars- I have ridden MTBs for 17years and road bikes with drops for only 1. If the trail is at all rough then the drops are out, and so is the bike aswell. But On Smooth tarmac trails and Road- I am finding the Drop bars more adaptable. Different body and hand positions and that Full drop position that I never used is very usefull into a headwind- or when you get wound up and need the more aerodynamic position. As Will has found out though- He uses straight bars on his Hybrid that he uses on Trails- but he has fitted aero bars for when he needs to find speed. So the best of both worlds. Straight bars for control and the aeros for when he needs speed or aerodynamics.

Spike Milligan