Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Can I fit a full suspension frame on a airline standard size case?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I travel a lot and I would like to take my bike with me. I was thinking about getting a full suspension bike (my first option is the Santa Cruz superlight). I wonder if I would able to fit the bike (size L, geometry here) in the case that sandsmachine sells Itīs 26x26x10". The main issue would be to fit fit the front triangle. The top tube is 24". Anyone there who has tried something similar?
Thanks.
Old 07-22-07, 05:08 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Afraid not.

A big issue here is that you cannot retrofit any aluminum frame, let alone one with a funky tube shape. That knocks out a huge range of bikes.

So, you will have to go for steel. Disassembling the rear suspension will almost certainly be a PITA, so your next best bet is hardtail with a Thudbuster seatpost.

I think you'd be better off with a cyclocross bike or something like the Surly Karate Monkey. Start by finding a local guy who does S&S retrofits, then figure out how you want to build up the bike.
Old 07-22-07, 05:35 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raposu
Hi,
I travel a lot and I would like to take my bike with me. I was thinking about getting a full suspension bike (my first option is the Santa Cruz superlight). I wonder if I would able to fit the bike (size L, geometry here) in the case that sandsmachine sells Itīs 26x26x10". The main issue would be to fit fit the front triangle. The top tube is 24". Anyone there who has tried something similar?
Thanks.
It may not compare well to the snata cruz but it is foldable - dahon Fuego

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-22-07, 05:39 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
*gag* $2250 for the Fuego!!! That's a lot of scratch. I'm going to guess a Karate Monkey with S&S will run $1700 with case, I could be wrong though.

And a minor point, it's packable, not foldable.
Old 07-22-07, 06:56 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
...And a minor point, it's packable, not foldable.
...run into a tree hard enough and any bike is foldable

yeah, point taken - it packs, unlike a birdy or similar.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 07-23-07, 04:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,
I am not afraid of the BTC couplers, I,ve heard a lot of good reviews about them. What I was asking was if I could use instead of a steel frame fitted with BTCs a double suspension frame. I mean, is the same principle, to have your frame in two separate parts. Obviously you can not do that with a hardtail. If I were able to fit the front triangle of a size L frame of a double suspension frame on case of (26x26x10) like the one from sandsmachine it would be great. Moreover, as most of airline companies allow you to take two cases, so in case that things get too crowded in the other case you can put the rear triangle in the other case. I like the idea of BTCs but the other option is much more easier ( as long as the rear triangle is not too much complicated to dismount) and I guess way cheaper.
Thanks to everybody,