Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

In Search of an Ultegra Serrated Washer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for two Ultegra serrated washers for use on their caliper brakes. They are the anti-rotational washers, and are officially described as Shimano Code No. Y-858 50100, Spacer-R (2 mm).

These things are like hen's teeth. Can't find them on the internet (I think I found one place, but they were about 7 bucks apiece.) Shimano doesn't sell them. Have even tried a couple of the high-end, high-service LBS here in Los Angeles, and they have none. They say they basically only come with brake sets, and there are no extras to be had.

Does anyone here know where I could score a couple, or know acceptable substitutes. I've seen Tektro serrated washers for sale, but there are no pictures on the internet of them, so I'm not sure if they'll do the trick. Maybe stacked lock washers?

If anyone has any extras, I'll gladly buy them from you.
Old 07-24-07, 02:29 AM
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
out of stock

https://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC109239

https://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC109238
Old 07-24-07, 02:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much appreciated. I came across this site, but as you can see, they're all out. Sent them an email anyway.

Any place that has them in stock?
Old 07-24-07, 07:25 AM
118AHC "Thunderbirds"

Bikes: Numerous (wife says to many)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will this work?

https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=521430731846
Old 07-24-07, 10:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghost,

Thanks for the link. That washer only has knurling/serration on one side -- the Ultegra washer has it on both sides, ostensibly to "grip" both the lock nut and the fork crown on either side.

It's interesting, because on Shimano's BR-6600 exploded view tech document, the spacer isn't shown as being serrated, but all of the new bikes with Shimano Ultegra brakes that I've seen at the various LBSs all have the serrated washer/spacer.

Appreciate your help.
Old 06-06-22, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shimano washers (Part nos. 858 5010 and 858 50100) are definitely not serrated. They seem to be more or less M6 washers (hole Ø 6.4mm) , the only difference being the thickness (1.6mm for M6, 2 or 4mm for the Shimano washers).

The “lock nut” for Shimano’s BR-6400 brakes is what mystifies me (Part no. 857 9812 for BR-6400, no number provided for a similar nut for the BR-6500 model). Is this a kind of Nylock? Can it be reused? If not, any suggestions for a substitute that would be compatible with the threads of the pivot bolt?

I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.