Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New guy in Oklahoma.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New guy in Oklahoma.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 07:53 AM
Personna Non Grata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy in Oklahoma.

Hello all. I have just found theis board as of yesterday. Loads of info here and I am glad to have found it. I am 34 years old with a family. I was once very into riding bikes. I raced BMX as a sponsored racer up till I was around 13. Rode Mountain bikes for several years after that. Last bike was a Gary Fisher Tassajara. Used that in college as well as trails locally and in Reno/Tahoe area.

The times changed and here I am around 8 years later. Had back surgery a few years ago and have gained a TON of weight as a result of the inactivity. A friend of mine lost a bit of weight riding so I picked up a bike at Academy a few months ago. Rode that once and decided it was not for me as the chain would not even stay on. (Derailer was not adjustable either)

Stopped by on my way to return that bike at a local shop and looked at a Gary Fisher Tiburon. Very nice bike. Will be picking it up tonight and plan on riding at Lake Hefner here in OKC. I think the hybrid style is best to get me back in the mix of things. If I stick with it then I might try my hand and mountain biking again. We shall see. I am fairly excited though. Thanks.

JJ
Old 07-26-07, 07:58 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello MyMonkey, how did you wind up in OKC? That's a long way from Reno/Tahoe...

That Tiburon will get you started down the right road--I hope you find you can go back to the mountain biking, though. I'm not very good at the MTB thing, but I sure do enjoy riding on the trails, even so .

Does the family ride? Got plans to get them out there with you?

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 07-26-07, 10:13 AM
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I do plan on getting the family out with me. My son loves to ride. In fact, we are picking him up a new bike today as well.
Old 07-26-07, 10:18 AM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome back to riding. I used to hang out around Lake Hefner when I was in high school. The only bike trails then were motorized. I'm glad to see things are changing (from my perspective, for the better.) It sounds like you and your family are going to have many good times together.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 07-26-07, 10:23 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MyMonkey
Thanks. I do plan on getting the family out with me. My son loves to ride. In fact, we are picking him up a new bike today as well.
He should enjoy that...errrr, does he know how to ride? If not, there are a number of threads on the subject--some in the Recreational & Family forum, and some in the General Cycling.

Enjoy yourselves!

East Hill
Old 07-26-07, 08:16 PM
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as my placement here in the middle of the country. It was pure dumb luck. My uncle lives in Reno and has taken me riding in the mountains around there and Tahoe a few times. Excellent riding there. Nothing else like it.

My son can ride on a nice even surface. Took him to the tennis courts on his new Raleigh 16 inch bike this evening. He did great. Has training wheels though thankfully.

I picked up my Gary Fisher Tiburon. I got the 20 inch frame. I am 6'0'' tall so the 17.5 was just a bit to small up top for me. Had a bit more room in the 20 I think.

Yes, Hefner has improved a great deal. There is a 10 mile paved bike path around the entire lake. Now, I have to build up to the 10 miles. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-27-07, 07:20 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyMonkey
Stopped by on my way to return that bike at a local shop and looked at a Gary Fisher Tiburon. Very nice bike. Will be picking it up tonight and plan on riding at Lake Hefner here in OKC.JJ
Hey JJ - nice call on the new steed! Welcome to BikeForums.

... Brad
Old 07-27-07, 11:58 AM
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you thank you. Just about to head out for a ride this evening in fact. Will try the lake trail of 10 miles. Not sure I can make it but will try.
Old 07-27-07, 12:55 PM
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF and to OKC. I ride many, many laps around Hefner so I'll keep an eye out for guy on a Gary Fisher. Also, if your interested in group rides check out www.oklahomabicyclesociety.com. They have quite a few weekly rides from beginner to some for very fast guys.
Old 07-30-07, 05:20 PM
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link Sooner. I will try and build up to an acceptable pace before attempting any group rides. I am rather proud of my accomplishment yesterday though. I rode what I think was around 12 miles around Hefner. From the Hefner road parking lot to the end of the loop on the South shore and back. Lost track of the markers but it sure felt like 12 or more miles.

Rode about 6 miles the day prior so I think I am off to a good start. Thanks everyone.