Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How often to replace chainrings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How often to replace chainrings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain and cassette are shot - replace chainrings too?

I waited a bit too long to replace the chain on my commuter, and now both the chain and the cassette are shot. They're not so far gone that I can't ride on them until replacement parts arrive (i.e. no skipping, yet), but the chain-wear gauge does fall rather easily into the gap.

So...question: Do I need to replace my chainrings along with my freewheel? The bike is a double, but I use the big ring almost exclusively.

Last edited by GRedner; 07-29-07 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Clarified the topic
Old 07-29-07, 11:05 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GRedner
So...question: Do I need to replace my chainrings along with my freewheel? The bike is a double, but I use the big ring almost exclusively.
Yes.
Old 07-29-07, 11:09 AM

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know. I've never changed chainrings on a bike unless they were rendered useless by a crash or something. I just upgraded a bike and used an old shimano 105 crankset with chaingrings that were probably 10+ years old and they work just fine with a new cassette and chain. The same is not the case with a worn cassette and a new chain, you get slippage. My experience is that nothing will happen if you stick with the old rings.
Old 07-29-07, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chainrings and casette wears down because of the chain. Replace chain, SRAM with EzLink. Then take your chain off every 100 miles or so and wash it well.

It's clean when you feel no sand or dirt inside the chain, when you take it in both your hands and bend it side to side slightly. When dirt you'd feel like there is dirt inside the chain. Clean until it feels like brand new chain. Then lube.

Cross chaining, bad chainline, cheap chainring are also factors.
Old 07-29-07, 11:21 AM
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In my experience, chainrings wear about two to three times slower than cogs and chains.

The torque load is distributed over a greater number of teeth, and on a double, you are not "shifting through" any chainrings as with a triple. With triples the middle chainring seems to get the most abuse as you can't skip over it to go from large to small, or vice versa.

I'd replace the cassette and chain, then replace the chainrings if necessary.
Old 07-29-07, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably go ahead and replace the chain and cassette, and see how things go.

I will attempt to procure replacement chainrings in the event that they are needed. I need 144mm BCD rings though, which all seem to sell for big $$ (at least, bigger than I want to spend on a commuter bike). Argh.
Old 07-29-07, 11:45 AM
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good call.

I can't say you won't need the chainrings. A client and friend of mine that is a high-mileage roadie replaces cassettes and chains together nearly every year, and chains inbetween cassette replacements. He'd never replaced his chainrings and when I recently installed some new Salsa rings, he came back and said his front shifting was better than it'd ever been before, even when new.

At least you can spend some time now to find a deal on the chainrings.
Old 07-29-07, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Chainrings last a long time, especially if you change the chain regularly. Eventually, you will see that the CR teeth look shark-finned, that means they are starting to wear. Sure fire way to determine is to put a new chain on and if you hear noise from the CR, time to replace.

I've had chainrings last 10 years+ with regular riding.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-29-07, 05:11 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Yes.
No.
Old 07-29-07, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
No.
I agree. My experience is that chainrings last a very long time.
Old 07-29-07, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have 100000+ miles on my fleet of bikes, and have never replaced a chainring. I still have Biopace on some of them.
Old 07-29-07, 06:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless I see that they are obviously worn (shark fin teeth, etc.), I leave them alone.
Old 07-29-07, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barba
Unless I see that they are obviously worn (shark fin teeth, etc.), I leave them alone.
+1 on the sharkfin appearance. They do last a long time, but folks that hammer on their rings will wear them out much sooner than a tourer.
Old 07-29-07, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
+1 Purchased a 53 tooth Ultegra chainring once thinking I'd need it some day. Many miles later, and I'm still sitting on that ring.
Old 07-29-07, 07:57 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
Thanks for missing the point.

How can you make a diagnosis without even seeing the bike? You guys clairvoyant all of a sudden?
Old 07-29-07, 08:19 PM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about shifting ramps? Or whatever these are called: I've looked at the Alivio crankset on my bike, and there are these notches running down some of the valleys, in four locations. The notch is flared a bit, presumably to help the chain ride up on upshifts (this is an MTB, so big jumps). The teeth near there look very shark tooth, but the rest just look somewhat worn. I have ridden the bike with a very worn chain in the past, and the current one is worn out also (but not as badly).
Old 07-29-07, 09:30 PM
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How can you make a diagnosis without even seeing the bike? You guys clairvoyant all of a sudden?
How can you?

All that was related was experience. Chainrings last a lot longer than most people think...apparently including you.

And yes, my telepathetic powers are formidable.
Old 07-29-07, 11:28 PM

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for missing the point.

Like already said.... you too made a diagnosis as well. A wrong diagnosis, but a diagnosis.
Old 07-30-07, 08:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure why there's attitude seeping in from all corners, but it doesn't help anything.

The chainrings don't look worn. They're only one chain old, so to speak (and the small ring has barely been touched - I may replace it with a bigger one eventually). I did once ride a drivetrain on another bike right into the ground - the jockey wheels were so worn that the tips of what once had been gear teeth were needle-sharp! By comparison, my current commuter is newer-than-new

A tangentially related question - does cross-chaining increase wear on chains/cassettes/rings?
Old 07-30-07, 08:24 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GRedner
A tangentially related question - does cross-chaining increase wear on chains/cassettes/rings?
Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 07-10-14, 04:25 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1, Trek Madone 5.0, Trek 5400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There seems to be some debate concerning chain ring replacement. Can anyone post a photograph of what they consider replacement worthy wear or damage? I'm considering replacing my outer ring on my Madone 5.0 commuter (and backup). Having some difficulty finding a replacement. It is a triple crank, 52 tooth. Can it safely be replaced with a 53 tooth ring?
Old 07-10-14, 08:42 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanesGrandad
There seems to be some debate concerning chain ring replacement. Can anyone post a photograph of what they consider replacement worthy wear or damage? I'm considering replacing my outer ring on my Madone 5.0 commuter (and backup). Having some difficulty finding a replacement. It is a triple crank, 52 tooth. Can it safely be replaced with a 53 tooth ring?
A truly worn chainring will have sharply pointed teeth like a crosscut saw and/or heavily shark-fin shaped teeth. The real test is does the chain skip on the chainring under load.

Crank makers typically design their chainrings in pairs so the shifting enhancements (ramps, pins, shaped teeth) line up for best results. Changing to a chainring from a different set will compromise shifting somewhat. So, using a 53T chainring intended for a 39T small ring will not shift as well as the matched 52T that is provided on a triple crank.
Old 07-10-14, 09:10 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
like tires, brake shoes and cables, there's no scheduled replacement involved. Replace as needed. Meaning when the chain slips and won't transmit power, or when teeth break or bend. On a road bike, this may happen at 40-50,000 miles or so. On a mtn bike the granny or middle ring can wear out in less than a year of hard riding.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-10-14, 12:25 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wait for it....
Old 07-10-14, 01:18 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Steel and 7075t6 aluminum is pretty long wearing .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.