Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Suburban

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Schwinn Suburban

I was given a large Maroon mens Schwinn Suburban today for free. I thought, well what the Hell, I'll clean it it up and put it out front for sale, and make $20, or something. I pumped up the tires and took a little ride on it, and I was quite surprized to find out that it rides very nicely. I would recommend one for daily commuting anytime. This is even though it weighs a lot more than my Raleigh Sports. You don't notice the weight while you ride. Maybe I'll be cussing it when I have to ride it up "suicide" hill, I don't know. I believe I am going to keep it for use when I ride to work. It isn't bad, and if someone pinches it on me, I am not loosing anything money-wise.
By the way, I used regular Brillo pads on it to remove rust, and Schwinn must have used some different "chrome" on their bike, because the Brillo did not seem to scratch anything I used it on.
Old 07-29-07, 04:43 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
All the Electro Forged Schwinns rode nicely. I am glad you are going to use and enjoy it.

Schwinn had the best chrome in my experience. I have cleaned plenty of it using steel wool without scratching. I can't say the same for other bikes.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 07-29-07, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a ladies suburban, '77 I think, and my daughter really loves it. Our only change was to switch out the wheels with the ones off a japanese made puch and that shaved about 3 pounds of the bike if I recall.
Old 07-29-07, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to ride a Suburban back in the 70's to work in southern Cal for years. Found I rode it less and less when we moved to rural New Mexico & Az. Ended up giving it away to a neighbor. Wish I had kept it now that I live close to pavement again. Mine had North Road handle bars, fenders, 10 speeds, great medium blue color.
Old 07-29-07, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Mine is a maroon red, ten speed with mudguards and north road bars, etc...
I believe it will be a great ride for going to work.
Old 07-29-07, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Raleigh, Schwinn, Sterling, Bianchi, Specialized and RANS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Suburban, I gave $50 for it and a Stingray Jr. They were not creampuffs, but cleaned up OK! The Suburban is Campus Green, has Northroad style bars, 10 spd w/stem shifters and fenders! I changed out the HB stem, and must have saved a pound or 2!!!! Man, that Schwinn HB stem was HEAVY!!!

I also put new tires and tubes on it......it looks pretty good and it rides pretty good, too! I told my wife it was sorta like riding in you great aunts old buick!!! You Don't have to go fast to look cool!

My Surburban has got me to thinking about putting a proper HB stem for Northroad bars and fenders on my Paramount! I really do like THAT look!

Al
Old 07-29-07, 08:05 PM
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Suburbans are great riders for around the block, commuting and the like.

I like the five speeds because they have chain guards!

There is a nice one in the Detroit area now:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/383228845.html
Old 07-29-07, 08:14 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Not North Road bars, but I am doing something similar on the Paramount I am working on for my wife. She hates drop bars!

1991 Waterford Paramount
Old 07-29-07, 09:06 PM
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Suburbans, one a 1980 ladies 5-spd with the FF and Positron II components. Put a Brooks Glenbrook bag on that one and ride it mostly for cruising the bike path; somewhat akin to cruising with the old Buick or Caddy.

The other Suburban, a mens with quite a bit of character scratches and wounds, I built up as my beater bike grocery-getter. My own record which I'll never agail try to copy, is 100-lbs in the baskets, two 50-lb bags of landscapipng sand from the garden center a mile from home.
alf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7596.JPG (88.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_7601.JPG (87.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-29-07, 09:08 PM
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
Not North Road bars, but I am doing something similar on the Paramount I am working on for my wife. She hates drop bars!
Those aren't the Twin Sticks I sent you are they?
Old 07-29-07, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Raleigh, Schwinn, Sterling, Bianchi, Specialized and RANS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Not North Road bars, but I am doing something similar on the Paramount I am working on for my wife. She hates drop bars!"

I like the looks of drop bar bikes, however, age has left me somewhat incompatible with drop bars. Therefore if I am going to be able to put any time in on my Paramount, I am gonna need to do something different regarding the riding position. I seem to remember reading something that indicated the Paramounts could be ordered with upright bars, 3 speeds, etc. Since my Paramount is a touring model, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be such an awful thing to do it. I would want to use period correct brake levers, HB stem, fenders and maybe a luggage rack.....It should make a pretty decent looking rider!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread!

Al
Old 07-30-07, 08:03 AM
Chrome Freak

Originally Posted by el twe
Those aren't the Twin Sticks I sent you are they?
She wanted the power shifters....I wanted it more Schwinn, but she has to ride it!

That setup came off her old Raleigh Super Course. It is still subject to change, though.

She won't use the Brooks, either.
1991 Waterford Paramount