Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Can someone identify this Cannondale?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought this from a friend who needed money. I don't really need a mountain bike so I plan to sell it. The problem is, I don't know what model it is. I've looked at pictures of all different kinds of Cannondale bikes and I see several models that look like this... F400's, F500's, M300's - they all look alike (at least to the untrained eye).

Can anyone help? The only numbers I've found on the bike are on the bottom of the frame, under the crank. They are as follows: F1088 ; 09250 ; B5W17

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-31-07, 08:35 AM
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Have you tried calling Cannondale?
Old 07-31-07, 08:53 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you bought off of a friend who needed money and now you're going to sell it for a profit. Is that the plan?
Old 07-31-07, 08:56 AM
BFG
Just say no to brakes.

Bikes: All the TGMBG mums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You rock in that case
Old 07-31-07, 08:57 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFG
You rock in that case
Or are a scumbag. Why not just loan your friend money and charge a ridiculous amount of interest? Or is loansharking not legal where you are?
Old 07-31-07, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well - I'm not sure about loansharking in my area. It was actually my brother whom I bought it from. He mentioned in passing that he was taking it to a bike shop and that they were going to give him $150 for it. Being ever the quick thinker, I assumed if they were going to give him $150 for it, they intended to sell it for more than that and turn a profit. So, I told him I'd buy it, list it on eBay, and give him half of anything over $150. Win win situation as long as I can get at least $150 for it...

I wrote down what looks like an ancient scroll of part names that are on it. I'll list all those in the ad, I just don't know what model the bike is. I think the previous owner (before my brother) must have removed the factory stickers or something?
Old 07-31-07, 11:58 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, not as shady as I thought. As far as the model, I am not familiar enough with Cannondale's mountain bikes to comment.
Old 07-31-07, 12:05 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think that's the Abomination MkIII.
Old 07-31-07, 12:07 PM
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you call Cannondale they should be able to tell you by the serial number. The first two digits are the frame size, the next 6 digits are the date of manufacture, and the remaining numbers are the unit number (of how many were built that day).
Old 08-01-07, 08:13 AM
ukenut

Bikes: Cannondale F500, Mid 80's Fuji Touring Series III, 1979 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 1995 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey 53flattie,

Cannondale serial number strings have changed a bit over the years, so Bockman's information is correct if the bike was made between 1986 and 1992. Your serial number looks like those being used between 1993 and 1999. I also noticed that the logo on the front is one C'dale was using between '90 & '96. So that narrows you bike down to somewhere between '93 & 96. My guess is that it's a 1995 F500, the paint job is the same as that shown on the '95 F500 in the '95 Catalog. If you go to www.vintagecannondale.com you will find serial number information and how to decode that string of numbers on the bottom of your bike. You will also find .pdf files of old Catalogs.

Good Luck
Old 08-01-07, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the information Haptown!

I actually just got off the phone with Cannondale and your suspicions are correct. It's a 1995 model, size 17. Unfortuantely, that's all they could tell me about it. They were not able to tell me the model based on the serial number. (which is a little surprising to me)

You are correct though - it does look like an F500.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!
Old 08-01-07, 11:36 AM
ukenut

Bikes: Cannondale F500, Mid 80's Fuji Touring Series III, 1979 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 1995 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to help, good luck selling it.
Old 08-01-07, 12:21 PM
I CAN ORDER IT MYSELF!

Bikes: 98 Bontrager Priv S, 70-something Nishiki International Fixed conversion, Kona Kapu road bike, Diamond Back 24" Dirt jumping/Bmx bike, Crappy Nashbar frame with King headset, full Xt, Easton carbon bar, Race face cranks and other junk I had around.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale often used the same frame for many bikes, you could get 4 different versions of a CAAD 3 at one point.
Old 08-01-07, 12:38 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cousin has that same bike. His is an F500 model, so I think yours must be also.
Old 01-07-09, 05:58 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haptown
Hey 53flattie,

Cannondale serial number strings have changed a bit over the years, so Bockman's information is correct if the bike was made between 1986 and 1992. Your serial number looks like those being used between 1993 and 1999. I also noticed that the logo on the front is one C'dale was using between '90 & '96. So that narrows you bike down to somewhere between '93 & 96. My guess is that it's a 1995 F500, the paint job is the same as that shown on the '95 F500 in the '95 Catalog. If you go to www.vintagecannondale.com you will find serial number information and how to decode that string of numbers on the bottom of your bike. You will also find .pdf files of old Catalogs.

Good Luck
I aware this is old thread since 08-01-07 stopped to reply their posts.. anyway thank you for link of vintage cannondale what i learning..