Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Pro rider dies after artery in leg bursts

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

The article talks about the iliac artery in Cox's leg getting damaged by all the riding he was doing. Not sure how common it is, or how much people like us should be concerned about it. Any opinions?

#####

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/010820...-cox-dies.html

Barloworld's Cox dies

Eurosport - Wed, 01 Aug 15:22:00 2007

South African cyclist Ryan Cox, a member of the Barloworld team, dies after the main artery in his left leg burst.

The 28-year-old, who was not included in the team for this year's Tour de France, had a vascular lesion operation in France three weeks ago before returning home to recuperate, but was admitted to hospital in Johannesburg on Monday, friends added.

"It was found that the artery had, as a consequence of all the cycling, become knotted as sometimes happens to a garden hose. It often happens to cyclists because they spend so many hours on the bicycles, with their legs bent while pedalling," said Clint Curtis, who coached Cox as junior.

Barloworld on Wednesday cancelled a planned news conference for South African cyclist Robbie Hunter, who won a stage on the Tour de France and was a close friend of Cox.

The team were a late inclusion in the Tour and produced unexpected stage winners in Hunter and previously unheralded King of the Mountains winner Mauricio Soler of Colombia.

#####

Another article here: https://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13033.0.html

Barloworld's Cox dies following surgery
By VeloNews.com
Filed: August 1, 2007

South African Ryan Cox died Tuesday weeks after doctors performed surgery to repair a constriction in his iliac artery, a problem common in cyclists.

The 28-year-old Cox, who had reported numbness, weakness and other problems with his left leg earlier in the year, had been diagnosed with a problem similar to that experienced by CSC's Stuart O'Grady in 2002.

Cox, with financial assistance from Barloworld teammate Robbie Hunter, underwent surgery in early July.

Cox's coach Clint Curtis told Bicycling South Africa that the rider showed classic symptoms of an arterial constriction.

"He sometimes lost the feeling in the leg after cycling and had little power in the leg towards the end of some races," Curtis said. "Ryan then went to see one of the leading doctors in France. It was found that the artery had, as a consequence of all the cycling, become knotted as sometimes happens to a garden hose. It often happens to cyclists because they spend so many hours on the bicycles, with their legs bent while pedaling."

While Hunter provided money for the surgery in early July, friends suspect that financial concerns prompted the cyclist to leave the French hospital earlier than recommended. He flew home to South Africa to recover.

Doctors recommend near complete immobility for several weeks following surgery, with a gradual resumption of physical activity over an eight-week period.

Cox was rushed to a South African hospital late Monday, where doctors unsuccessfully worked to repair an apparent rupture in the artery.

Cox was a talented rider, with an impressive race resume, including the overall title at the 2005 Tour de Langkawi, a victory he secured by beating Venezuelan climbing ace Jose Rujano in a sprint to the line atop that race's most feared climbing stage at Genting Highlands.

Last edited by Rotten Bastard; 08-01-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 10:53 AM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's sad to hear. And no, I've never heard of that condition (not that I'm a doctor or anything). I wonder what "often occurs in cyclists" really means--like 1 out of 10,000 pro-riders?
Old 08-01-07, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supton
I wonder what "often occurs in cyclists" really means--like 1 out of 10,000 pro-riders?
That part jumped out at me too. I'd never heard of that until now.
Old 08-01-07, 11:24 PM

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
genetic predisposition + 30 000km per annum and you might have a problem.
Old 08-01-07, 11:27 PM
user friendly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xxx

Last edited by doctortalk121; 08-12-07 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, sad story, 28 years old and died because he couldn't afford to rest after surgery. And shocking to hear about this "common condition."
Old 08-02-07, 06:01 AM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
genetic predisposition + 30 000km per annum and you might have a problem.
I tend to agree. This "problem" is as rare as many of the heart defects that manage to kill some one unexpectedly -- sooner or later. There are all sorts of arterial diseases and defects and sooner or later they cause problems for otherwise healthy people. Life and death happens.
Old 08-02-07, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I tend to agree. This "problem" is as rare as many of the heart defects that manage to kill some one unexpectedly -- sooner or later. There are all sorts of arterial diseases and defects and sooner or later they cause problems for otherwise healthy people. Life and death happens.

Exactly.

RIP Ryan. Pro cycling is worse off without you.
Old 08-03-07, 12:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R.i.p.