Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Flight Deck

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Flight Deck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 11:19 PM
Resident Music Junkie

Bikes: 2000 Avanti Aggressor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Flight Deck

I have problem with getting the computer to automatically come on when the wheels become active. Is this possible with the flight deck? It works perfectly fine if I turn it on manually, but surely there is some way for the computer to sense when there is activity in the wheels. I thought most computers actually had this function as standard?
Old 07-22-03, 11:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you have the 6501 version of the computer. Hold down the "b" button on the back of the unit (Upper right when you look at the front of the computer) for a couple of seconds. Shimano did this so the battery would last longer.

Hope that helps!

-
wynn
Old 07-22-03, 11:32 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Which FlightDeck model do you have? SC-6500 or SC-6501? The SC-6501 needs to be woken up if it has gone to sleep. There IS an auto-start/stop feature but still the computer needs to be woken up first.

I'm assuming you have the 6501 since you say you keep forgetting to turn it on. The 6500 automatically comes on when the wheel sensor detects movement. The change was done because people were complaining that the 6500 kept draining the batteries. I felt it was a retrograde "enhancement" to have to manually turn on the computer after it power-saves... kinda defeats the purpose of auto-start, IMHO.

With both units, you activate/deactivate the auto-start by going to the trip-distance group (as opposed to the stopwatch group) and hitting the start/stop button. Once activated, you don't need to do anything... just ride.... unless of course you force a reset. Resetting the trip-distance group will automatically deactivate the auto-start feature and you need to enable it again with the start/stop button. If the auto-start feature is activated, even if you come back from power-save, the computer will start logging and responding to wheel motion immediately.

I usually restart the auto-start feature after resets by habit whether or not I'll immediately be riding. This way, I don't have to worry about it. You will know that the auto-start feature is active if the mile/km indicator is flashing (regardless of your movement).

If you want it from the horse's mouth, see page 10 of the instructions manual.
Old 07-22-03, 11:52 PM
Resident Music Junkie

Bikes: 2000 Avanti Aggressor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much. I have the 6501 as you stated. Problem solved